Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm... is that usually good, bad, or indifferent? I HATE waiting
    Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
    Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
    fusion T5-L3
    Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

I think it just means that the area is inflammed, which allows one's doctor to find problem areas which need to be further investigated.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Got lung function test, waiting for results. They had to measure me, and I have lost the final 1/4 inch I was hanging on to. I am now officially 5'6" That's 2 inches in 10 years
        Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

fusion T5-L3

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

reflux and pain killers

I too suffered from reflux, and while its "gone", there are some things I still cannot tolerate. One of them being pain killers. I have found however, that if you let your doctor know, they can prescribe a nice little pill to counteract nausea. You take one everytime you take a pain killer pill. It works wonders! There are several of them out there. Let me know if you need a short list. I have taken 2 so far (one kind after wisdom tooth extraction, another following a different surgery) and they worked like a charm!
          Rachel

Comment

Finally have all tests done - lungs normal (yay! maybe playing the flute all those years and learning to breathe from my diaphram did some good!)

Can't get in to see Wagner until 3/8, though. Aargh, waiting drives me nuts! I drove a clunker in high school and learned to fix it myself because waiting for the mechanic drove me insane (besides, I couldn't afford even the friend-of-my-father's rate he charged me) I wish I could get in there myself and fix it - what are the success rates for fusions with duct tape and popsicle stick instrumentation?

I've found that a Vicodin or two after work gives me enough relief to have the energy to ride the exercise bike and do chores around the house before bed. I even cooked an honest to goodness dinner last night! I think I'll try the Back Care Yoga tape I bought but never used tonight.

fusion T5-L3

Comment

weight lifting?

OK, yoga tape baaad idea... I could barely lift my right arm for two days afterward.

I can live w/o yoga; what's killing me is not being able to lift weights - how soon has anyone started post-surgery? I don't care if it was only 5lbs :-)

Oh, and my MRI showed 3 or 4 disks going bad and two places where my spinal cord is "slightly" compressed.

fusion T5-L3

Comment

Re: weight lifting?

I am now 91/2 months postop and only using 2 pound weights for arm exercises. I use them about 3 times a week.
                The next day I usually have some swelling and tightness in the shoulder blade area. My therapist also suggested using thera bands before weights.
                Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                Fused T2 to sacrum
                June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I started with 5 lb weights as soon as I had that weight limit restriction lifted, and then 10 lb weights at around 6 months....

My PT had me using therabands as well.
                  Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                  Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                  Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                  Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                  February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                  September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

That's something to look forward to - thanks :-)

fusion T5-L3

Comment

surgery go-ahead

Not sure whether to be releived or scared :-)

Dr. Wagner gave the go-ahead for surgery today. It looks like it will be this August - they don't schedule that far ahead; but if I do it earlier (May) I won't be able to dive in August in Jamaica (already paid for)

Plus, we are having our Kitchen remodeled in late April/early May and I don't think that would be a good recovery environment :-)

He's talking about fusing T3 to L3 - he makes it sound really long but I notice that a lot of you have that length or longer...

fusion T5-L3

Comment

Working...
                      X