For the sake of vanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the sake of vanity

Question: I know this is going to make me sound bad, but how quickly will I be able to lift my hands up to "do" my hair?

Given I'm a guy and don't really have much hair to "do" I really didn't have a problem. With that said I'd expect this would depend on where your fusion is. For me I was t10-pelvis so I was able to lift my arms to wash my hair in 2 weeks once I was allowed to shower....and had no problem spending 2 minutes blow drying it afterward.

I would think that if your fusion was higher this might be more difficult.
    Rich
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

I am T4 to sacrum and I could brush my hair and pull it back in a ponytail while I was still in the hospital. I really did not have issues (or restrictions) with raising my arms.

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

No, I had no problems raising my arms either.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I am a complete fusion all the way to pelvis and I can tell you I have no problems with raising my arms UNTIL time to take a shower or do my hair. I had surgery Mar 1st and while there isn't as much moaning and groaning in the shower as there used to be, I still have trouble holding the blow drier to dry my hair (long hair). But, it's getting better. Thank goodness it's getting warmer outside and I don't have to dry completely.
          When I first came home I had to have my mom or my husband help me dry my hair or even dry off after getting out of the shower because it was such a task to get the arms up that high. But, please know, every day now it's getting easier. Does this help?
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46
          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Glad you asked the question. I had wondered the same thing.
            Glenda
            Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
            Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
            Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
            A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
            Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
            Pleased with outcome

Comment

I was fused T9 to the sacrum, and I have had no problems raising my arms to brush my hair (which is long) even in the hospital!
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

i'm fused T2-L1, and it took me about two weeks to be able to wash my own hair. my mom had to actually brush and style my hair for the first two weeks as well! at a week/two weeks, i could brush my hair and get it in a really messy, loose ponytail, but holding my arms up for more than about 5 seconds killed me. it was just easier to have someone else do it.

Comment

You should have said sanity. We females always feel better when our hair looks good.

What a great question,
                  Shari

Comment

Oh, great! There goes my working at the easel again. I was hoping once my spine was supported, I could at least sit up and work at a table easel. I'm trained to look straight across on an upright easel when I work from the model.

Bummer

I need to run a thread about physical limitations. Just what is the reason one can't lift arms - muscle strength or something impeding the mobility because of the fusion? I'm due for a long one.
                    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Now having awful images of me with multicolored hair and a very stained and splattered bathroom. I thought buying temporary hair coloring (six weeks then repeat after fading) was a great way to avoid paying well over a hundred bucks/mo for professional coloring...As if I could afford it!

Now it's sounding like I'll just have to go back to my natural color for --- how long? It's one thing to have a messy pony tail, and another to have a messy coloring job.
                      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I've been told there are "hair color" sticks that can be used to touch up roots as a temporary fix. I've ordered one from Avon (think you can get them at beauty supply places, like Sally's?). Don't know how well they work, but I may give it a try. I've scheduled an appointment a couple of days before surgery to get "the works" on my hair. Also, picked up some waterless shampoo.
                        Glenda
                        Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                        Pleased with outcome

Comment

Thanks! We DO have a Sallie's in town (most or many chains/big box stores are still lacking). I'll ask there. But it seems to me the coloring sticks would be even harder to use than a coloring rinse if the problem is arm raising...

Wondering how one can touch up ones own roots anyhow! I had a long phone conversation with a Clairol CS rep once while she tried to instruct me in how to do it - my special concern was the roots out of sight in the back. She really tried (mirrors were key) but it still came out sounding as if one would definitely need an extra arm and remote video cam.

Where did you get the dry shampoo? That sounds great. Wonder if it works (I'm sure it's better than nothing). May I ask if you live alone? If so, what is your coping strategy for recovery? You're just about my age and are scheduled to have something similar to what's been recommended for me (A/P).

Also, forgive me if this is in your sig line, but who is going to do your work? I have family in Florida (who could help me a lot more) if I had surgery done there.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!! HOW exciting.

Amanda

Comment

Hi Amanda -- If I get up the nerve to use the color stick, I plan to ask my daughter-in-law to help me with it. I might just test it myself right before going in for my last hair appt before surgery or get my hairdresser to show me how to use it. I picked up the waterless shampoo from Walgreens, but you can probably get that at Sally's too. (probably will test the shampoo as well--would hate to have a mess I can't wash out!!)

My surgeon is Dr Tim Yoon with Emory Spine Center in Atlanta. I do have my husband to help me. He, our son, and our daughter-in-law, plan to rotate my care schedule while I'm hospitalized. My son and his family live in Atlanta about 20 minutes from the hospital. My husband and I plan to stay with them for about a week following my discharge to make sure my pain meds and all systems are up and working. Then we will return to Florida. I have a strong support system here with close neighbors and friends. Please feel free to send me a private message if you'd like.

Sorry all, think I've captured "for the sake of vanity" thread.

Glenda
                            Glenda
                            Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                            X