No announcement yet.

% of people who are happy after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey Jan...i have degenerative disc disease also...surgeon said my curves havent changed in the last year...but my discs are waaay worse! you have all my sympathy!

hi Sharshe....i used to do recumbent bike back when i could exercise...i started at 5 minutes (got out of breath) and worked up to 60! i was so proud of myself...but now the pain is just too bad.....and i really tried...when i got married & moved 3 years ago (after early retiring cause of pain) i joined a gym in CT right away...went 3 times...too much pain...and i used to love the lower body machines....no more i am happy you can use the pool to help you get some exercise and improve your strength!

jess

Comment

• Please DO tell us the truth! Many of us are here for help making decisions and it's counter-productive to mislead us with artificially rosy expectations, if only from a 'response bias"!

As for me, I definitely want to know the truth. Half of preparation is mental (though much involves concrete planning according to ones expectations). I know that in order to get through the whole process, I not only need to make the best decisions possible in advance, but to get into the proper mindset!

I beg any readers who experienced hardship they were discouraged from expressing or describing (if only from a sense that it was unwelcome) to please speak up - and keep speaking up!

It's not just to prepare mentally either, as I've gotten many pointers from reading of other people's problems. Telling them, helps others avoid them - to the extent they can be considered under our control.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

• Thank you all, especially (maybe forgetting someone) Sharshe and Joyfull.

Joyfull, your comment was especially helpful. I don't know how the surgeons stand it for so long. Makes perfect sense.
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

• Old Posts from Joyfull

I am getting some questions for Dr. Lenke for my pre-op appointment in Nov. and looked up this old thread to get some ideas for questions to ask. There were several posts from Joy which about brought me to tears. Although we don't really know each other, we definitely have a connection and closeness. I couldn't believe the similarities with Joy and me-close in age, both teachers, little pain, surgery scheduled for preventative purposes, fears, etc. One of her comments was that she was taking a giant leap of faith into this surgery. I am so saddened by Joy's outcome and feel terribly for her family, as I know others on this forum do, as well.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by golfnut View Post
            I am getting some questions for Dr. Lenke for my pre-op appointment in Nov. and looked up this old thread to get some ideas for questions to ask. There were several posts from Joy which about brought me to tears. Although we don't really know each other, we definitely have a connection and closeness. I couldn't believe the similarities with Joy and me-close in age, both teachers, little pain, surgery scheduled for preventative purposes, fears, etc. One of her comments was that she was taking a giant leap of faith into this surgery. I am so saddened by Joy's outcome and feel terribly for her family, as I know others on this forum do, as well.
            Me too, Karen. I think about her every day- such a hollow sad feeling. I wish we could know more....and I wish it was better news...

Also glad you found this thread...I had been remembering it recently in the never-ending confusion about surgery decisions, so I'm glad you did my homework.

Wishing you peace in your journey!
            Amy
            58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
            Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
            Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
            2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
            Exercising to correct

Comment

• Ditto. I think about Joy all the time. She expressed my fears better than I can myself. I am just so sad that her fears were realized. I am still holding out some hope we will hear from her son and that there will be some marginal improvement one of these days.

This has got to be one of the hardest health care decisions out there -- "elective" surgery for preventative reasons, but one of the longest and most complicated procedures around. Best wishes to you both.

Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• I , too, think about Joy every day and pray for her. I wish that her sons would post with some good news.

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                X