Thread: bulging abdomen after surgery

Unhappy bulging abdomen after surgery

Has anyone experienced a bulging abdomen as a result of the anterior part of scoliosis surgery? I'm not referring to a hernia. I had a very tight, flat abdomen as a result of breast reconstruction surgery which included a tummy tuck and now after scoli surgery the left front bulges. My incision didn't come around to the front. My doctor says I have to build the muscles back and with time it will flatten. I sure hope so but I would appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and if it did in fact go back to normal eventually.
    Susan

Hi Susan...

What you're referring to is probably an "incisional hernia." It's not a true hernia, but an abdominal wall weakness or defect caused by lack of blood supply to the muscle after abdominal surgery. My understanding is that the problem is permanent. It can be repaired by using a piece of mesh to replace the atrophied muscle, but I think most of the bulges return. Mine did. :-(
    Regards,
    Linda

Susan
    Yes, I also had a "pot" belly after surgery. It took several months for my belly botton to move back into it's rightful place LOL. However, I still have a buldge on the left
    SandyC

Houston, Texas now live in Colorado Springs, CO
    Mine bulges on the right side. I haven't asked the doctor about it yet. Next visit I will. That's not until December. Theresa

Hi

I have noticed the same potbelly or bulge on my left side but I had surgery when I was 14 and just started seeing it after my daughter was born. If I am laying down it is much more prominent. I was starting to think something was wrong with me but it sound just like what you are all describing. Do you think it wasn't noticeable before since I was very thin before baby and now am 138 and 5'6"?
    Kristin

Mine bulges a bit on the right side--I had anterior and posterior surgery. Haven't asked the doctor about it yet, I kept thinking it would go away, but when I go back I will ask.

yep - join the bulge club! I've got one following anterior/posterior correction 5 weeks ago. According to my surgeon my body shape will settle down with time & it is perfectly normal!