X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    I would like to apologize to you.
    When I first read this I thought you were actually offering an honest apology. After a second and third read of what follows - I'm not so sure.

I don't think you are trying to mislead people. I think your magical thinking does help you and that there is research backing that up. I think you are applying that type of thinking to your treatment and then touting it beyond any objective evidence.
    Maybe your opinion is a result of your bias against my treatment. Specifically, Spinecor? I'm just saying - objective evidence is in the eye of the beholder.

You have your evidence which is real to you. I believe people when they say they know there is a god or they know a conservative treatment is effective for anything other than pain. The problem is their knowing that is completely irrelevant and yes misleading to anyone else who thinks for themselves.
    Interesting your post remains - maybe it is because you spelled God in initial letter lower case? The reality of my personal evidence regarding my treatment is hardly irrelevant to those like me who have scoliosis, have lived with it for over 49 years, and who like me have been brought to unbearable pain from the condition. Finding relief is hardly irrelevant nor misleading based on the fact that others like me have found similar relief. You state that this is "misleading to anyone else who thinks for themselves." I suggest this implies that maybe you think that anyone that does not agree with your way of thinking - does not know how to think for themselves. We disagree on that.

In my opinion, on a medical forum, once we acknowledge the evidence for the benefits of wishful thinking (i.e., placebo effect) and the lack of evidence for intercessory prayer, what else is left that is relevant to a serious medical condition? The topic is completely exhausted at that point unless people are here to also proselytize.
    Do you also consider that the work of Martha Hawes involves wishful thinking, or the placebo effect? If so we better dump tons of money into research so everyone can duplicate the effect. Again, you reference something banned - discussion of prayer. You reference it in a negative way, and so it is allowed to remain. The topic is hardly exhausted and reading the boards this morning I find two more valuable members ready to bail because of your own unique brand of proselytizing.

Often in the non-surgical threads, you have advised people not to read (or respond to) what they do not like ... I suggest you take your own advice - and let those of us with scoliosis who are seeking non surgical treatments, do so ... we are not stupid and are quite capable of thinking for ourselves.

Thank you for your apology ... but it is rather like a left handed compliment. Just another means to overstate your point of view which involves refusal to think outside personal bias through the humiliation of others.

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
      objective evidence is in the eye of the beholder.
      False.

Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        False.

I disagree. Case in point: for every study which supports bracing, one can be found that refutes it. Etc etc etc ....

Comment

We have objective evidence that the world is an oblate spheroid and is not flat.

We have objective evidence the earth travels around the sun.

We have objective evidence that the earth is 4.55 x 10^9 years old.

We have objective evidence that evolution is a fact.

Etc. etc. etc.

We also have flawed medical studies that are not evidence therefore they can't be objective or otherwise. They are simply flawed.

The dichotomy you are trying to get at I think is subjective versus objective evidence. Many people have subjective evidence for homeopathic remedies let's say but not a single one has any objective evidence that homeopathy works. Nobody does as it is self refuting.
          Last edited by Pooka1; 04-13-2010, 07:25 AM.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
          X