Got approved for Schroth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello again,

Yes, I do have insurance through work, but it has changed yearly and is a bit challenging. I have a 3500 deductible and then everything is covered at 100% after that if in network. But, come to find out that PT has a separate category with a 5000 deductible. Takes awhile to get there! I pay for my PT privately with a local rate. One of my off-season tasks is to sit down at the computer, pull up my ins plan, get out my magnifying glass, and figure out my options. Then next Oct it will all change again and hopefully not get dumped. Troubling times.

Great that you take the Western Swing class. I love that stuff....The spin instructor is always saying, "The best workout is the one you do." If you love it, you do it....(maybe). My biggest challenge is to stop reading about it, and planning to start it maybe Monday, and just do it, as the saying goes. Have been way better lately. Still I want to do more.

Let's kick a little *** this year!
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Amy. Be sure and see what Michael had to say about the non-insurance rates. Doesn't seem right that we have to pay for no fault of our own.... I hope your research brings some helpful ideas.

I also contacted the Scoliosis Rehab place in WI and got a wonderful, informative note back from Kathy re: the goals and methods of Schroth, esp. for adults who may have some degeneration. My ins. may change July 1... I guess they all just keep us wondering

And 2 friends want me to go to the Swing Dance tonight so I may just go... I love your quote about the best workout is the one you do. Thanks. Silly here with all these faces.

Have a good one, Christina
      34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
      Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

that is great, make sure you are seeing a Certified Schroth Physiotherapist and do the home exercises daily

Comment

Thanks, Andrea. Have you gone through it?

So sore this weekend - one night out dancing last week was enough for me for a month I guess. Had a massage which helped loosen things up. Not in pain, just exhausted from the pulling. Can't wait to learn how to move better.

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
            Thanks so much, Michael. I wrote a long letter and sent a lot of documentation- a referral from my Dr., x-rays, and the helpful material from the therapist, etc. and so they offered to pay $2000 which was wonderful. I will do only three days to start with, and hopefully get another $2K next year; we'll see. But at least I'll get a good start. And yes, I will use the payment plan to start paying but when I get reimbursed, I can pay her the rest then.

Thanks for that info- I will ask her what her non-insurance rates are. The center is in Rockville MD, and most of the scoliosis clinics in the vincinity refer people to her, I've found. She used to work with Luke, at Scoliosis Solutions, in Fairfax VA, so they refer Schroth patients to her. Jennifer Graham -she has her own outfit now. It's about 2 or 2.5 hours from me. Yes, it's the intensive - I will do three four hour days. If I feel I need to, I will schedule the last day of the first 4-day part. But right now that's all I have coverage for. I appreciate the idea about the non-covered price- perhaps she does that. Thanks again.
            You got your insurance to cover schroth? I have been trying to get it covered too. I paid out of pocket for the first week of therapy and am waiting on the 2nd week.

I did see some improvements in her posture and she grew about 1/2 inch in length from 4 hours a day traction. things you have to think about is how are you going to continue this treatment at home. My dh built the bars w mirror for under $100 but if you order through them it may cost more.

Ambrea exercises 1/2 hour a day doing the schroth exercises...it is hard on her palms, blisters now calluses.

could you send me any hints or what you did to help get coverage?

thanks!!
            age 15
            Daughter diagnosed at age 13
            T20 l23 10-09
            T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
            T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
            T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
            Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
            Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

pictures from scroth
              Last edited by Bigbluefrog; 05-08-2010, 07:31 PM.
              age 15
              Daughter diagnosed at age 13
              T20 l23 10-09
              T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
              T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
              T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
              Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
              Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Hi Bigbluefrog,

The picture of Ambrea doing her home exercises is great! She should be a Schroth model! Good for her for keeping it up. She will be grateful as she gets older.

I think the biggest factor for me getting approval for the Schroth method was that my surgeon was willing to write a PT referral specifically saying "Schroth". I was very grateful that he did that. My insurance company (Anthem) approved it based on the fact that "the needed therapy was not available locally". Also, Jennifer Graham has a prepared set of letter to submit to insurance companies. I also enclosed a print of my x-ray, and wrote a full page letter explaining what I had done, why Schroth was the best PT program for scoliosis, and my goal to avoid (costly) surgery.

Yes, I thought I would see if I could get someone to put bars up for me in my condo to save costs- I'm hoping my dad can do that. Where did you order the materials from or buy them?

Comment

Has anyone done Schroth - any opinions out there?

Hey there - with Schroth not as "free" as I thought it would be, and now looking more like $1000 despite insurance and that's if they even decide to pay in the end, for the first three days of intensive treatment (12 hrs.). I am on the fence.

Has anyone had experience with Schroth - positive, or negative, that they would like to share here or by PM? I'd appreciate input. I'm leaning toward not going forward with it at that cost. The Curves book and whatever else I'm currently doing has reduced my curve 5 degrees in the last year. So, sure Schroth would be wonderful to learn from but things are going okay at the moment, so I don't really see it as a necessity. I do need to let her know ASAP.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
                    Hey there - with Schroth not as "free" as I thought it would be, and now looking more like $1000 despite insurance and that's if they even decide to pay in the end, for the first three days of intensive treatment (12 hrs.). I am on the fence.

Has anyone had experience with Schroth - positive, or negative, that they would like to share here or by PM? I'd appreciate input. I'm leaning toward not going forward with it at that cost. The Curves book and whatever else I'm currently doing has reduced my curve 5 degrees in the last year. So, sure Schroth would be wonderful to learn from but things are going okay at the moment, so I don't really see it as a necessity. I do need to let her know ASAP.

Thanks!
                    I would also be interested in successes or failures. Linda doesn't seem to think that surgery would be the best option for me right now. I do trust her judgement being a scoli patient herself AND working in the field. I just don't know what to do....
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Yes, I read that yesterday, Rohrer. I am sure that was a surprise. It is true that the Drs. are careful to say surgery won't necessarily take away your pain. I know that many here do report being pain-free after surgery, but as you know, each case is unique. And like she said, it is irreversible.

I am praying for you. You know, I'd never think of lifting children, and you talked about moving grandchildren in and out of car seats (was that you?). I have given up the idea of even having children, here at 44 (well, no husband is a factor ), and in light of my spine. I just know with my lumbar curve, it would throw it out. As far as adopting or such, really I am afraid, or rather very cautious, about lifting. When I visit my wonderful nieces and nephews (I am blessed with four and another due in a week!), I notice the strain after holding the baby even for a short time.
                      Last edited by dailystrength; 05-21-2010, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Sudden change in carrying things in front (babies, for instance)

sorry, all, for focusing on one detail of interest to me.

Dailystrength:
                        I notice the strain after holding the baby even for a short time.
                        In the last few months, I have been noticing for the first time I recall (takes a while to sink in, I think), that holding things - anything! - in front, and clasped to my chest, is REALLY hard. Painful, and if I have to carry it any distance, in short order, I am outright hunched over clutching it.

This seems really weird to me. I'm sure it makes perfect sense in terms of body mechanics but I can't imagine what they are saying. (Something like. "your lower spine is kaput" maybe. )

It's so weird and different, it's scary. Aging, spinal deterioration usually moves slowly and as it becomes "the new normal", I have trouble remembering it was ever different (like gradually accepting I can't reach a shelf that used to be easy. Shrug, adjust, get used to fetching low stool - then carry on and forget the shelf used to be "lower").

This, however, is dramatically different and seems to have happened overnight. It's not a strain, and whatever it is, is definitely not going to spring back into place.

When you spoke of it's being hard carrying the baby, I wonder if you meant in this position. I sure can't imagine carrying a baby now. Talk about "tipping points!" I sure reached one. I go from upright (almost) to doubled over FAST. I'm considering trying to carry the laundry basket on my head . In front, it's no longer possible.

Anyone else notice a difference in carrying things held in front? I thought this was supposed to be the easy way. In fact, I think it USED to be for me!
                        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Abt Schroth

I was scheduled to go to CT to have a day's SHROTH training session with the wife of one of the best known NYC SpineCor fitters . She is a German certified SHROTH trainer as are all three in their practice. I canceled for practical and emotional reasons (see PS).

I note though, that they often schedule one one one sessions like that for a full day (cost ~ $650). They recommend you bring a camera that can take videos to capture you doing the excercies for later reference. I gather (thought) that this intense session was supposed to tide you over indefinitely after teaching you the basics.

Some of it is reimbursed by (most) insurance -maybe some even pay all. Meanwhile, even though common sense says you'd do better to have later practice sessions under supervision, I wonder if this is a realistic 'second best" to learn enough SHROTH to improve your fitness and scoliosis management lifestyle. It certainly saves a lot of travel time for most of us.

Come to think of it, many people do pretty well learning certain techniques with videos especially with mirrors to self-check. That is an even more cost-effective way of trying to take advantage of SHROTH. Seems to me you'd need at least an hour (maybe more and/or a follow-up) to individualize the exercises for your particular curves.

Not saying this is ideal by any means. Just a way of saving time and money.
                          I'm very curious about it. Why isn't there movement afoot whereby well trained patients teach other patients as a public service - with no pretense that they're certified, of course? Seems to me it's not dishonest, as there's no pretense that you're as good as "real" SHROTH trainers. There's so much suffering out here, and not everyone can afford it, as we well know. Even accesss to trainers is hard. (Don't know about you all, but traveling is hard for me).

SHROTH MUST help some, or it wouldn't attract so many paying adherents. (How MUCH it helps is the question)

I told the Spinecor fitter, I was deciding against the brace for the time being because as things stood, I had no way of making the cost:effectiveness calculation. There was no way to determine cost, and the pain relief was nowhere as much as I'd hoped, so I couldn't decide. Both variables were missing.

I feel much the same about SHROTH, given the price. I can't imagine a book would suffice, but are there no videos? If not official, what about Bootleg? I'll bet You-Tube has something. (going to check...)

NO PS. Ran out of space to explain cancelling the session. Without detail then, I'll just say they made a scheduling snafu that inconvenienced me greatly...
                          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

RE: carrying

Back-out, I get pain and cramping when I am in a slightly forward bend position- just can't do it. If it hurts, don't do it, is my reasoning; it's not good for me. I am very conscious of how I move. I try to keep my trunk upright and bend at the hips only if I must bend forward, using leg strength. If it hurts, I stop; it's not worth the pain. My bathroom sink can be a culprit and of course cleaning, I have to do it very carefully, breathing out into the weak side. And wash up quickly. I don't do much makeup for that reason, but standing at a close mirror is fine- just not bending over the sink to see close in the mirror. Washing dishes - can only do short bouts (I have a dishwasher but don't use a lot of dishes) - I get gadgets that will make meal time prep simpler (GT Express the latest- just wipe out! It's kind of scary though - gets so hot!). Strenghtening core muscles is important- I use an exercise guide. As far as the laundry basket, I put it on one hip. Its the lifting that can cause problems. I can't carry it in front. So with the baby, it could be the lifting and shifting you do with a baby.

Just keep the core tight and don't strain by trying to carry, lift, or stay in the bent forward position. As my PT said, the muscles of the back have trouble working together. Pain means I am irritating the "bossy side" as Annette Wellings says in Curves, Twists, and Bends. Of course its not always possible, and I do get muscle strain, like I know it's really bad to carry my groceries in one bag on my shoulder - but it doesn't seem to irriate me that much. My dad used to say "listen to your stomach" when we were ill, now I try to "listen to my back".
                            Last edited by dailystrength; 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

you tube scoliosis videos, including for SHROTH and 'rabbiting on'

That was a BIG help, Christina, Thank you!! Your suggestions and comments are most appreciated and very kind of you (I'll put them into practice)

Truthfully, just knowing I'm not the only one with this problem (carrying things held to my chest), is the best news! I never heard anyone else complain of it nor did I myself ever have it before.

And to think how long I nursed my own two babies, including walking at the same time, if needed! HAH!

It was also fascinating to hear your comments on the slight forward bend at the sink! Wow! You'd think on this Board no one would feel self conscious, but by Jiminy! It still feels good to find you're not alone with a symptom. Speaking as someone who needs to lean on the sink even to use a toothbrush (and that's an electric one!). Like Jess, I find myself going through the day, trying to measure everything by the standard of "how could I manage this 'Afterwards'? etc.

I wish I'd come to terms with this sooner and thus didn't have such a time constraint to decide.
                              As bad as my symptoms are (especially by others' standards), I keep wondering if they couldn't be managed by exercise - provided I could keep them up, that is! Depression plays a role in making it hard, as does boredom. I tend to get kind of OCD about things which easily becomes either/or - not good.

SO, I just somehow blew the whole morning looking at You-Tubes about scoliosis. It was fruitful, but I'd have done better to get my exercises out of the way. That includes the treadmill. Been skipping that lately too. Extra bad as I really need to get back into cardio fitness. My BP has crept way up. Either that, or my new Walmart's device is defective

OTOH, here is one find that may help others. I don't think it's anywhere here else unless the Search engine isn't working.

http://www.spineharmony.com/exercises

They have an online program which is $200'year with a month trial period. It can't be submitted to insurance but OTOH I think it might be even better than going to a SHROTH therapist, as you can play it at home when you choose and as much as you choose. If you're lucky enough to have a dad to put the bars up for you, it might save you a chunk o' change.

I've found many of the scoliosis exercise videos on YOU TUBE to be useful - the DON'Ts at least as much as the DOs. I was super interested in watching ways of handling my lumbar hump (word!)

If only I could raise the bar resting on the upper frame of my bathroom door higher, I'd have it made (makes it complicated when guests are here. It has to be removed temporarily as needed. Alasl it's the only door frame that works with the apparatus, and my other baths need to be restored. More contracting work to get around to before surgery.

IF I have surgery. I really must make a commitment sooner or later (or sooner). BTW I called your doctor's office and am sending material to him. I fear, however, that getting there will be even more complicated than getting to NYC because it looks like they're at the end of a commuter airline like my town which really hikes the prices!

I didn't know he separated his surgeries by a month! That's very unusual. You're so lucky to be near him (How close by are you?) . He sounds like a real winner, Fascinating to learn his brother is also a neurosurgeon - I accidentally called there first. Virginia is such a pretty state, I'd almost venture say the PERFECT state - rolling hills, not too hot, not too cold. Of course, I've only been there a few times to the most scenic spots (Wiliiamsburg?). I'm sure it has its armpits like all states, but I didn't see any.

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
                                I'm very curious about it. Why isn't there movement afoot whereby well trained patients teach other patients as a public service - with no pretense that they're certified, of course? Seems to me it's not dishonest, as there's no pretense that you're as good as "real" SHROTH trainers. There's so much suffering out here, and not everyone can afford it, as we well know. Even accesss to trainers is hard. (Don't know about you all, but traveling is hard for me).

SHROTH MUST help some, or it wouldn't attract so many paying adherents. (How MUCH it helps is the question)
                                I agree with you totally here. Yes, those were my thoughts exactly. Why does it have to be "patented"? When so many are suffering? When I find something that works, I tell everyone I know might need help! It makes me wonder if the founder indeed meant to help as many as she was able, with her text publication (well her daughter published it), but now it's become one of those exclusive things - yes, when it comes to people suffering, I just have a fundamental problem with that. Granted they want to make sure the exercises are done correctly, but yes, why so much investment - why not a few sessions?

I'm going to do some you-Tube searching (haven't read your second post yet - at work here on a quick break)-- but I think the bottom line is, like you said, I don't have resources to put to unknown outcomes. If I knew it was necessary I'd find the funds, but maybe this is a good thing- my limitations.

Comment

Working...
                                X