A little more surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little more surgery

We just put our house on the market last week and found out yesterday that we already have a buyer. In the middle of negotiations, I got a phone call from Dr. Rand. He has looked over all of the tests that I had and has decided that a little more surgery would be beneficial to me to get rid of the nerve pain in my leg. It would involve more decompression at L4-L5 and or L5-S1 and possibly removing one screw. The recovery would be about four weeks. Today I got a call from Dr. Rand's scheduling person and she can get me in on the 19th of this month due to a cancellation. We were planning on heading to N. Carolina on the 17th to look for a new house. However, if I don't grab the 19th, she might not be able to get me in until July. I think it would be best to get it done ASAP, recover at home and then go looking for a new house. Fortunately, the new buyers don't need to close until the end of June which should give us enough time to find a new house after my recovery. Life can sure get exciting sometimes. I think this might be God's timetable. He has taught me how to go with the flow.

I'll keep you all posted but probably won't be spending much time on the Forum for the time being. I have a lot to do, you think.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Sally

Sometimes things hit us in waves don’t they? Glad to see that you are able to swim with the current.

It will be a big relief to get your nerve pain fixed...

Things will be fine. Keep us posted.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yeah, I'm with you. Take the cancellation and get the nerve pain taken care of, then you'll feel better hopefully looking for a house. And, never rains but it pours, so to speak, huh? Good luck with your decision.
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Hey Sally
        best of luck with the packing up and moving...sounds wise to get the surgery done first! it will all work out...
        at least you know you'll be really busy for the near future...no time worry, maybe...?

best regards
        jess

Comment

Hey Sally,

Sounds like a lot and all good!

I made an appointment with Dr Rand for May 6th....My mom was having hip replacement surgery at New England Baptist, and I happened to ask her PT lady if they did scoli surgery. She mentioned Dr Rand's name and I remembered him from your posts. I went in to his office and found one of his assistants and mentioned that I would be hanging around the hospital for a few days if he happened to have a cancellation. He heard me from behind the door and I was able to speak with him for 15 minutes or so- a great opportunity!

I hope it all goes terrific for you- please give us a quick post or two!

I have east coast cousins who have migrated/retired to the Carolinas...what's goin' on down there? The promised land...

Amy
          Amy
          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
          Exercising to correct

Comment

P.s.

When I fill out all the office forms and get to the usual question, "Who referred you?"...is it okay if I fill in "loves to skate"?
            Amy
            58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
            Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
            Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
            2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
            Exercising to correct

Comment

When it rains, it pours. Hang in there Sally. Hope you don't get too stressed out over it all.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Glad to hear it's going to be fixed very soon Sally. That nerve pain must be very difficult to live with and having it fixed now, you really will be starting a new life when you find your new house.

Good luck with it all. I am sure it will all work out just perfectly.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

From everything I've seen and read, the type of revision you're having is a piece of cake compared to the original fusion surgery. You're certainly going to have an action-packed spring -- stay loose and best of luck!
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Sally--
                    Sorry to hear this is needed but if it takes care of that pain, it will be worth it! You are going to be busy. Take care and best of luck as this date approaches. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks Ed, Rita, Jess, Amy, Linda, Jennifer and Chris for you replies and well wishes. Amy, what a special guy Dr. Rand is to give you 15 minutes of his time without your being scheduled. He called me Monday and identified himself as Frank Rand, not Dr. Rand. He is so not arrogant. You can say Sally the roller skater sent you as he might not know me as loves to skate. Chris, I sure hope you are right about this being a piece of cake. That is why I am going with it. I know it's not like a major revision. I know I will be fine.

Thanks to all, Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi,
                        Pretesting went well today. I saw Dr. Rand briefly and he said he would have to remove some screws and maybe a rod to access the area of stenosis. After decompression, he will put the screws and rod back in. I'm not nervous like I was before my first surgery, but I really hope and pray this is the end of it. At least, my body is stronger now than it was before, because I have been able to exercise and build up my stamina. I just don't like living with pain and don't like pain meds, cortisone shots, etc. Lets just get this done. Surgery Monday at Noon.
                        Thanks for listening.
                        Sally

Comment

Best wishes Sally for your surgery on Monday.
                          Vali
                          44 years young! now 45
                          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                          Post -op - 5 degrees
                          T11 - S1 Posterior
                          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

We'll be thinking of you. And, remember - you can do this too!!!! Nothing you can't do!! Thoughts and prayers your direction!!!
                            Rita Thompson
                            Age 46
                            Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                            Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                            Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                            Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Hi Sally
                              best of luck for uneventful surgery and smooth recovery! i know it will go fine and you will handle it with the courage you always have...it'll be nice if it's the last surgery needed...i know you have important things to do for your move and this will help you to get on with everything once you are healed!

thoughts and prayers for Monday...and until you are at 100%!

jess

Comment

Working...
                              X