Pain is so bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain is so bad

As many of you know, my surgery was canceled on March 11 because my BS # was very high. Well, yesterday my pain level has increased so much that I am now walking with a cane.I do not have a new surgical date as of yesterday when I called and spoke with my surgeon's scheduling nurse. She has told me end of April /beginning of May. I have 3 different pain pills depending on level of pain and what I am doing. The lower level pain pills -Ultram which I have been taking for a while have really stopped working for me. I have Davocet but That puts me to sleep as does loratab so I can only take those at night.

I am not asking a question just looking for some sympathy

Melissa
    Last edited by mbeckoff; 04-02-2010, 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Melissa--
    You've come to the right spot. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this as you wait for a surgery date. I'm sure not knowing makes it all the more difficult & more stress & more pain. I had pain but not nearly what you are experiencing prior to surgery. Any relaxation tapes help at all? I know just to ease my apprehensions I used the Peggy Huddleston book and tape to get me ready for surgery. You've probably already seen that suggested on here. I'm afraid I don't have any answers but certainly have good positive thoughts and prayers coming your way for an end to your pain very soon. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

oh melissa....i am so sorry you are in such pain!

i never got anything off ultram or most of that stuff...for me it was oxycontin til it got me too exhausted, and now i am back to my original hydrocodone...but i know the feeling of taking stuff and waiting for it to work and realizing it is not going to help! i am in pain all the time....with and without meds....so you have all my sympathy...

does a hot shower do anything? i stay in til prune-dom...
      also, moist heating pad might help a little...? do you have one? it helps my pain somewhat...just enuf to stop the tears sometimes!

i wish there was some way to speed up your surgery date...keep telling yourself that this pain is not forever, that it will be gone eventually...and that you will survive it!

i dont know what else to say but to send you an air kiss and hug...and thoughts and prayers for some relief!

jess

Comment

Dearest Melissa,
        Please hang in there. I know exactly what you are going through. My pain level prior to my surgery was getting so bad along with muscle spasms - many times waking me during the night. It's hard to endure that much pain day to day, all day. But, you just have to find a way to cope. You too will make it to the other side one of these days and you will be so proud of yourself. You are strong and I have no problem believing you ca do this. Please lean on people on this forum any time you feel the need. I would not have made it through all this if not for this forum for sure.
        Hang in there.
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Awh Melissa Honey,

I'm so sorry your pain is so bad today. I second the suggestion for moist heat--yes it's temporary but it sure feels good.

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and most of all the hugs and the friendship

Melissa

Comment

Heat pad was my best friend prior to surgery. When we traveled anywhere I took it with us. I remembered it before anything else.
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46
              Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
              Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
              Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
              Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

So sorry to hear of your pain, Melissa. Like Janet, I suspect the stress is making it worse. Vent here any time you like. We do understand. I just hope you get your surgery date before too long. The sooner the better. It sounds like it's not far off.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Melissa -

I'm sorry you're in pain. If ever there was a group of people who understand pain, specifically back pain, it is us. Most of us have been where you are which is why we had surgery or are considering surgery. You can talk about it here when no one else gets it - We Do!

Have you considered 'Drink Therapy?' My hubby and I have a 'Little Black Book' of cocktail recipes that we get out sometimes for the fun of it when we need a new idea. Maybe that wouldn't work so well if you're on pain medication but it relaxed me a bit sometimes when my back muscles were screaming.

Just an idea
                  Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                  Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                  Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                  A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                  Achieved +70% Correction
                  Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                  New Spine 03/19/2009
                  New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Melissa,

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. I hope your surgery will be scheduled for you very soon.

You should be so proud of yourself for doing what it takes to get your blood sugar numbers down....When I first read your post about diabetes, I really worried that it would take a long time, but here you are.

Sending cyberhugs...

P.S. One more suggestion. I was just lying on the couch unable to get comfortable (sciatica), and a goofy movie came on the TV. My daughter and I were laughing and now I feel great. Well, almost great, but do you have any funny DVD's you can watch and just relax?
                    Amy
                    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                    Exercising to correct

Comment

Melissa

Im sorry about your pain. I always hopped in a hot bath tub. I did the hot water therapy for many years...and followed with a massage.

If you are on meds, I would not suggest a mix with alcohol. Remember Karen Quinlan.......Besides, you don’t need the sugars.....

Hang in there
                      Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Are you feeling any better Melissa?
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks to the suggestions.

The drinking sounds good but with all the drugs I did not think it really was a good idea.

I have used the heating pad and it does help. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes overall I am feeling better

The pain seems to have gone down to a 5/6 which I can live with.

Thanks for asking

Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa -

I'm glad you didn't take the 'Drink Therapy' suggestion seriously...I was trying to inject a bit of levity here - I didn't mean to offend anyone and I certainly was not negating your feelings...dealing with relentless pain is no joke and I completely understand it and sympathize with you.

Hope you're continuing to keep the pain at bay...
                            J.
                            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                            Achieved +70% Correction
                            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                            New Spine 03/19/2009
                            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Melissa -- So sorry to hear you've been in so much pain. Glad it is a bit better. Will be praying you have surgery date and relief soon.

Glenda
                              Glenda
                              Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                              Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                              Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                              A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                              Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                              Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                              X