No announcement yet.

twisting limitations with full fusion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderful news! You must be over the moon. Thanks for updating us.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Irena-
      My oven is waist high and wall mounted...
      If I had a regular oven, I might could but it would be more difficult to squat while taking something hot out of the oven and I am not sure if I could bend that far...yet!
      Best,
      Heidi
      Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
      53*T 71*L
      Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
      Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

• Heidi,

Amazing, amazing, amazing!!! If I didn't know you, I wouldn't believe all of that. But, that's awesome, and I'm sure very inspiring to all the pre-ops!!! Tying shoes, walking fast and pulling weeds, in particular. I think strong quads and very flexible hips and thigh muscles are key.

Irina, I have a regular floor oven, and I didn't do much cooking at first, but I now can get pretty much everything in and out with squatting. I might ask my husband to do the whole turkey just because of weight, but probably could do it if needed. I cannot sit for any length of time on the floor though! I would tip backwards. I have no idea why.

:-),
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Evelyn,
          Sometimes I hate posting because I don't want others to be discouraged...
          I just tried sitting on the floor. I can sit criss cross applesauce with no problems but sitting with legs extended out in front of me is impossible without leaning back and supporting myself with my arms.
          I am also still having recall and memory issues... Does anyone else have that issue?
          Best,
          Heidi
          Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
          53*T 71*L
          Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
          Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

• Heidi,
            I'm so happy for you! You should be proud of your accomplishments.
            I remember an old post about people fused to the sacrum having trouble sitting with their legs straight out without tipping over like you mentioned. Someone warned that we shouldn't even attempt that position until 6 months or more post-op if I remember correctly. I can do it now at two years, but my hamstrings are still a little tight when I keep them perfectly straight. The first time I tried to take a bath, I had to lean back against the tub or support myself with my arms. So many things got easier for me, even after a year.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
              Here are some pics that will show how far I can twist with a T2-pelvic fusion.
              I also have pics of my rib hump, which is now much less. I still have about 30 degrees rotation in my vert, verified by my cts. My hump was much worse before my surgeries.

Hopes this gives some idea as to limitations after a full fusion.
              Ed
              Ed, your scar and the bending and standing are almost identical to mine. I had surgery in 2009 at Springfield, Missouri. Dr Wade Ceola is my surgeon. I hadn't been on this site in years but today is my birthday and I received a birthday greeting. Very happy that you are doing as well as I am. I returned to work within 3 months of my surgery. Still have down days; but, who's to say everyone doesn't. I'm 61 today and very proud I had the procedure. My life would not have been as full without the surgery because I was becoming very limited in my activites and breathing. Today is great!!

Bill

Comment

• Well Bill, Happy birthday! and welcome to the forum.

I have been sitting at the table here for years chatting with all the NSF ladies and to tell the truth, I’m running out of material! LOL I need to switch to more comedy to try to liven things up.

If you select “forum” and select Surgical (first time) you will see Linda Racine’s “I’m Happy I had surgery” thread. It would be good to simply copy and paste your post right in there. That thread installs hope for newbies.

We would love to hear your story, maybe I can talk you into that, and start your own “Introductory” thread. There are not too many elder males here, and your story would be of great value to all that read here.

Fantastic to hear that everything is doing fine with your spine....

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
                  Evelyn,
                  Sometimes I hate posting because I don't want others to be discouraged...
                  I just tried sitting on the floor. I can sit criss cross applesauce with no problems but sitting with legs extended out in front of me is impossible without leaning back and supporting myself with my arms.
                  I am also still having recall and memory issues... Does anyone else have that issue?
                  Best,
                  Heidi
                  Heidi, glad that you mentioned the recall and memory problem. I write things down in a little notebook, because my short term memory is......short. I can describe what I want to say or what the person looks like, but not the name. Sometimes I can think of the name much later. I thought that maybe it was the narcotics, but it has not improved since going off them.
                  .....now what was my name...Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Ed, thanks for posting those pics

I will pretty much have the same fusion as you (not sure if it will be to T3 or T2) but you look GREAT.
                    Susan
                    XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

• Bending, twisting, etc with T4 to Sacrum (S1) abilities?

I have read through all the replies on this thread (I think), I am new (obviosly) and just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time to share all your thoughts/experiences/xrays/pictures/blogs/etc as it has been so very helpful to me. I have had scoliosis since 1985, and have finally come to a point that I am a candidate for a spinal fusion. I am concerned as to how much I will or won't be able to bend at my waste being fused from T4-S1. I realize that you can most likely still bend from your knees, but can anyone be more accurate on how it is "different"? I would love some pictures of normal everyday activities (brushing teeth, putting on shoes/socks), bending to pick up an item off of the floor). If you aren't comfortable posting the pics on there, just pm me and I will give you my direct email address. Currently I already feel like my bending is limited as my curve doesn't allow me to bend anywhere except at my waist, so I am really curious how the surgery will affect me. I look forward to responses. I will update or start a new thread with my journey to this point in the near future. Hugs to you all, gentle to those still healing. For those that pray, please pray for me that I have made the right decision and strength for my husband and I to make it through this with love and dignity.

Crystal
                      Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
                      hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

• just a note about short term memory, etc...

in learning disabilities and speech therapy, the things
                        you describe as having trouble naming is referred to as
                        "dysnomia"

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by hdsluckygirl13 View Post
                          I have read through all the replies on this thread (I think), I am new (obviosly) and just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time to share all your thoughts/experiences/xrays/pictures/blogs/etc as it has been so very helpful to me. I have had scoliosis since 1985, and have finally come to a point that I am a candidate for a spinal fusion. I am concerned as to how much I will or won't be able to bend at my waste being fused from T4-S1. I realize that you can most likely still bend from your knees, but can anyone be more accurate on how it is "different"? I would love some pictures of normal everyday activities (brushing teeth, putting on shoes/socks), bending to pick up an item off of the floor). If you aren't comfortable posting the pics on there, just pm me and I will give you my direct email address. Currently I already feel like my bending is limited as my curve doesn't allow me to bend anywhere except at my waist, so I am really curious how the surgery will affect me. I look forward to responses. I will update or start a new thread with my journey to this point in the near future. Hugs to you all, gentle to those still healing. For those that pray, please pray for me that I have made the right decision and strength for my husband and I to make it through this with love and dignity.

Crystal
                          Hi Crystal...

I'm fused T4 to the sacrum. I feel like I'm very limited, but I know others who have even longer fusions who don't feel as limited. I suspect it has to do with how limber one is in the hips and legs, and how thin one is (I'm not). I cannot sit on the floor unless I'm against a wall. And, I never allow anyone to see me trying to get up from the floor. It's quite awkward. I have to wear compression socks, and the only way to get them on is to use a frame.

With all that said, I still think I made a good decision to have the surgery. I don't think I could have lived with the pain I had for much longer. And, with the exception of finding it difficult to get up and down from the floor and picking things up from the floor, the lack of flexibility isn't horrible.
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Crystal,
                            I am fused T4 to the sacrum and seldom think about any limitations now at almost 4 years post op. I was extremely careful with the no bend, no twist, no lift restrictions during the first six months or more. While things were difficult for the first year or two, I noticed gradual improvements with flexibility. I can put on socks and tennis shoes without using the sock aide. I either put a foot up on a cedar chest or sit and cross one leg over the opposite knee. My bows of my tennis shoes used to be on the sides, but now are on top. I used a disposable razor with a long handle for probably a year, but can now shave my legs with regular razor. I can sit on the floor to play with my puppy, but it is more comfortable to lean slightly back if my legs are out straight or squat on my knees. I can cross my legs and sit up straight and also get on and off of a floor mat in exercise class. I basically do a log roll but it's so fast that I don't think it looks weird. I cannot bend at my waist but bend from my hips almost parallel to the floor. My signature has a video of my first round of golf a year after my surgery. For me, life has been good following my surgery and my limitations are minimal. I feel like my future to include an active life is more promising since I had surgery, although I know there are some who haven't had as much success as I have and I truly feel bad about that.
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                              Hi Crystal...

I'm fused T4 to the sacrum. I feel like I'm very limited, but I know others who have even longer fusions who don't feel as limited. I suspect it has to do with how limber one is in the hips and legs, and how thin one is (I'm not). I cannot sit on the floor unless I'm against a wall. And, I never allow anyone to see me trying to get up from the floor. It's quite awkward. I have to wear compression socks, and the only way to get them on is to use a frame.

With all that said, I still think I made a good decision to have the surgery. I don't think I could have lived with the pain I had for much longer. And, with the exception of finding it difficult to get up and down from the floor and picking things up from the floor, the lack of flexibility isn't horrible.
                              Linda,
                              Thank you so much for your honesty. I am beginning to believe that flexibility both before and after the surgery and your size/weight determine allot of the after surgery possibilities too. Seems like how far one is fused doesn't always make them completely unable to bend. Just wish I knew for certain. LOL So are you able to kinda bend over say when you are brushing your teeth? Does that make sense? I have trouble getting up off of the floor now! LOL Hugs,
                              Crystal
                              Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
                              hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                                Crystal,
                                I am fused T4 to the sacrum and seldom think about any limitations now at almost 4 years post op. I was extremely careful with the no bend, no twist, no lift restrictions during the first six months or more. While things were difficult for the first year or two, I noticed gradual improvements with flexibility. I can put on socks and tennis shoes without using the sock aide. I either put a foot up on a cedar chest or sit and cross one leg over the opposite knee. My bows of my tennis shoes used to be on the sides, but now are on top. I used a disposable razor with a long handle for probably a year, but can now shave my legs with regular razor. I can sit on the floor to play with my puppy, but it is more comfortable to lean slightly back if my legs are out straight or squat on my knees. I can cross my legs and sit up straight and also get on and off of a floor mat in exercise class. I basically do a log roll but it's so fast that I don't think it looks weird. I cannot bend at my waist but bend from my hips almost parallel to the floor. My signature has a video of my first round of golf a year after my surgery. For me, life has been good following my surgery and my limitations are minimal. I feel like my future to include an active life is more promising since I had surgery, although I know there are some who haven't had as much success as I have and I truly feel bad about that.
                                Karen,
                                Thank you so much for your reply, it really helps to know that there is hope after surgery to possibly be somewhat the new normal again. I really appreciate how you describe how you put your shoes/socks on, as I have been wondering details about all kinds of that stuff. I am one that if I know what to expect both good/bad I am at ease. The not knowing anything drives me bonkers. I love your "bows on tennis shoes", I can completely relate to what you mean. When you mention that you cannot bend at your waist, but bend from your hips almost parallel to the floor is that what you do when you are picking up the tee in the golf video you posted? Just trying to get an idea of how you do it. My legs are pretty weak, also wondering what sort of exercises I could do beforehand to maybe strengthen them, as I realize that you use your arms/legs WAY more after. I too feel bad for all that are worse off or in more pain following surgery than before. I pray everyday that I am making the right decision for me, and feel confident that if I am not, that I will know before the surgery. Hugs,
                                Crystal
                                Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
                                hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X