Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=JenniferG;139409]
    Originally posted by Jenna.KB View Post
    Can you still bend at the knees to sit on the floor? some people on the forum say they don't think they will ever be able to sit on the floor again. I know my spine will move as one full piece but I thought after 3 months or so I'd be ok with this. I also tend to sit on the sofa/couch and bend my knees and put them up so my feet sort of sit to the side of my bottom then lean to the left against the arm rest. Do you have problems sitting like this?
    QUOTE]

Yes, I can sit on the floor but it's not comfortable. At first kayaking was uncomfortable for that reason but we were able to purchase a small back rest, just for the lumbar area and it made a world of difference. We used to kayak for 4-5 hours pre-op but these days, my tailbone aches after maybe 1.5-2 hours so it has shortened our kayaking trips somewhat.

I haven't tried sitting the way you describe but I think if you have something to lean on, left, right or back, this is definitely doable.
    I am wondering if I could sit on a kayak , not in one? Any opinions?
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
      Everyone has a different amount of flexibility. I am fused T4-sacrum/pelvis, and I sat on the floor at about 8 weeks post-op. So, I know I will be able to. However, I'm not going to do it again for a while, because after I did it, I was sore and thought it was probably unwise (in terms of helping the fusion process). I regularly lay down flat with my knees up, though. I think that's a pretty normal position, which reduces stress on your back. I suspect that as a 27-year-old, you'll be fairly flexible when all is said and done. Best wishes!
      How do u sit on the floor without bending? Did Lenke already release u to bend?

Warmly
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Hi All,

Confusedmom, your curve reduction is amazing. I'm praying mine is as good because as you said at 27 yrs I'm still very flexible even with curves so big. My surgeon says that even when they do an xray that involves pulling on my neck and feet they achieve about 20 degree improvement.
        I don't mind not being able to sit on the floor or how I normally done for quite a while its just nice hearing stories from people that say it is achievable after some time. Thanks

Jennifer,
        Kayaking wow. Never tried it but impressed you can still do it, as with the gardening you mention on a different post and all the cleaning you can manage. Yes my sofa has arms so I thought I would still be able to manage my normally seating arrangement eventually.

So pleased everyone says they can clean more or less as normal. My family and boyfriend will step in for as long as they need but I must admit even though there is only me and my boyfriend at home I am a bit of a clean freak :-) and I was worried that I wouldn't ever be able to clean the same again. Don't mind if cleaning the floors is difficult or carrying heavy things is, my boyfriend can help with that :-)

Feeling so happy reading your comments. Thank you
        27 yr old Female.
        Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
        Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
        Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• [QUOTE=mabeckoff;139411]
          Originally posted by JenniferG View Post

I am wondering if I could sit on a kayak , not in one? Any opinions?
          Our kayaks have slightly raised seats (only a couple of inches) so it's not exactly like sitting on the floor with legs out in front. Almost, but not quite.

I'm not sure what you mean by your question Melissa, i.e. do I think you could use a kayak? I guess if you can sit on the floor, you could, but we are all different and you have a very long fusion. Perhaps with a seat-back like I have, you could but I'm not sure.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenna.KB View Post

Jennifer,
            Kayaking wow. Never tried it but impressed you can still do it, as with the gardening you mention on a different post and all the cleaning you can manage. Yes my sofa has arms so I thought I would still be able to manage my normally seating arrangement eventually.
            We used to do a lot of kayaking, right up to my surgery. If you can sit with your legs straight out the front, you can kayak. It's very easy, you don't have to be very strong, it's very peaceful and you get to follow beautiful scenery along the riverbanks. It's a whole different world on the water of a winding river. Cleaning, well, that's a whole other story!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              We used to do a lot of kayaking, right up to my surgery. If you can sit with your legs straight out the front, you can kayak. It's very easy, you don't have to be very strong, it's very peaceful and you get to follow beautiful scenery along the riverbanks. It's a whole different world on the water of a winding river. Cleaning, well, that's a whole other story!
              Hiya,

So glad you can still do something you enjoy even if the length of time has had to be shortened a bit. Sounds lovely but I get sea sickness and have a fear of water sports, inparticular tipping up into the water so think I'll take your word for it :-)
              I'm hoping I can enjoy going for a walk though without feeling like my lungs are squashed or I have a small child sat on my shoulders. I'd say I can't wait for my surgery but obviously I'm scared and not luckily forward to the recovery but at least I have some idea of what is to come from previous surgery and everyones experiences definately help.
              Enjoy your day
              27 yr old Female.
              Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
              Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
              Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• Hi Doreen,

Well, Dr. Lenke did say at my 5-week appoinment that I could gradually start to lift the restrictions, as long as I felt like my motion was controlled and I wasn't causing myself extra pain. That said, sitting on the floor wasn't really in my plans. I just squatted down with my knees one day to look for a video for my kids. When I realized it was going to take me a while to find, I decided to try sitting on the floor. Like I said, I don't really recommend it this early, but I know I can do it. I bent my knees and hips, but not more than 90 degrees.

The more I think about it, I am a little confused about this "no bending" thing, because you CAN'T bend your back! (At least I can't--and I assume most people with long fusions can't.) I thought it was okay to bend at the hips up to 90 degrees (to sit, at least). I wonder if this restriction is really meant more for people with partial fusions? Hmm. What did Dr. Lenke tell you, Doreen?
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                  Hi Doreen,

Well, Dr. Lenke did say at my 5-week appoinment that I could gradually start to lift the restrictions, as long as I felt like my motion was controlled and I wasn't causing myself extra pain. That said, sitting on the floor wasn't really in my plans. I just squatted down with my knees one day to look for a video for my kids. When I realized it was going to take me a while to find, I decided to try sitting on the floor. Like I said, I don't really recommend it this early, but I know I can do it. I bent my knees and hips, but not more than 90 degrees.

The more I think about it, I am a little confused about this "no bending" thing, because you CAN'T bend your back! (At least I can't--and I assume most people with long fusions can't.) I thought it was okay to bend at the hips up to 90 degrees (to sit, at least). I wonder if this restriction is really meant more for people with partial fusions? Hmm. What did Dr. Lenke tell you, Doreen?
                  Now that I think about it, since I missed my 3 month follow up appointment, Dr. Lenke may have told me back then that I could maybe start slowly bending. Not sure. Since seeing Dr. Lenke last week, I've tried bending a bit to load the bottom of the dishwasher, bend at the sink when brushing my teeth, just doing baby steps. I definitely feel a tightness in my lumbar area since starting these new movements. When I was outside this evening with my daughter, I tried squatting to one knee to pull a weed, yeah right... good in theory but not so much on execution. Some day I'll be able to do a Karen move like she did in her golf video. ;-)

I notice in the mornings before I get out of bed, I'm able to bring one knee at a time toward my chest to stretch my hamstrings and my knees come within 5 inches of my chest. Our neighborhood pool opens this weekend so I'm looking forward to starting to swim. Dr. Lenke said this will be great exercise.

Right now, the thought of bending or twisting is just so strange to me.

Warmly,
                  Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Doreen

Congratulations on pulling your first weed!
                    I guess that’s kind of a drag for a surgeon to read that all we really want to do is pull weeds with our expensive spines! LOL Don’t worry, you will get there in time.....(smiley face)

Jenna

Welcome to the forum! I will always remember where you are from because the Who did an album “Live at Leeds” a few years ago.....

Try not to get too jumpy....soon you will be all fixed up.
                    Deep breaths!

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      Doreen

Congratulations on pulling your first weed!
                      I guess that’s kind of a drag for a surgeon to read that all we really want to do is pull weeds with our expensive spines! LOL Don’t worry, you will get there in time.....(smiley face)

Ed
                      Unfortunately I wasn't able to grab it, but came within a few inches. :-/

Comment

• Nice twists, very encouraging for my son

Hi Ed,

I couldn't do any better twists and I think I have a "normal" spine Thank you for posting the pictures, I will show them to my son as he contemplates "when" for surgery: T5 - L4 fusion. Newly diagnosed with T55, L42

As we are wondering how long he can wait for surgery, is that what you did?

Thanks,

-C
                        Mom to son with new straight spine 8/15/2013 T16, L16
                        Pre op T65, L?
                        diagnosed 2/21/13 T55, L42

Comment

• Even though this is a great thread...(Pat on the back) I will answer but its best to keep your discussion on your other thread. Its much easier that way....Keep it all on one thread for now.

I was a Luque wire candidate in 1975. Of course back in those days scoliosis and surgeries in general had a different mindset, most elder’s frowned, and I made a decision to wait since I was competing in skiing back then. I had twin 50’s at age 16, jumped 100,000 HIGH jumps and abused my spine more than anyone can ever care to think about. So, if you are concerned that your son is “delicate”, well I don’t think you have to worry about that.

Welcome to the forum
                          Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Not bragging... ok I am!

I am about 4 1/2 months post op. Fused t4- sacrum. I can walk four miles in one hour. I can load the dishwasher ( I do so mostly by squatting)I can carefully do a load of laundry... I am just extremely alert as to how I move my body.
                            I have been riding the stationary bike at the gym. I take water aerobics class as well.
                            Next month I am planning on a trip to FL (10 hour drive). I do not anticipate any problems but if we need to stop along the way...we will!
                            My older girls were in a Peter Pan play that was over 2 hours long and I watched it 3 times without any bad pains. I can bend from my hips some (like to wash my face or brush my teeth) but I have not pushed it. I can dress and tie my shoes without any dressing aids. Of course, I can't lift my son or heavy objects, I do not twist yet... so sitting in church I have to turn my whole body to talk to the person behind me.
                            BUT I do expect that I will be able to do everything I did before surgery...just a little different and without pain.
                            For me, the worst part now is the nerve zingers and minor muscle aches which isn't that bad since I rarely even take Tylenol. I am worn out by 8pm so usually just relax and watch TV, read or play on the computer in the evening.
                            I have not tried vacuuming, or mopping the floors. I have pulled weeds (although not for as long as I would have liked), and picked up dog poo out of the yard. I can sit on the floor but it is still a little difficult getting up so I do not make it a habit. I have no problems cooking or cleaning. All in all, I am doing a lot more then I ever thought I would be able to do at this stage and without pain. I think the important thing is to know and listen to your body. If I have doubts, I don't attempt it. If I feel like I need to rest, I do. I believe being in shape prior to surgery was key (and my faith and belief in God). Prior to my surgery I worked out 5 times a week!
                            I am looking forward to regaining my strength and lifting weights again.
                            Oh, it still hurts to sneeze and cough but it is getting better!
                            Blessed,
                            Heidi
                            Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                            53*T 71*L
                            Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                            Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

• Heidi

This is fantastic news!

Its funny how all the full fusion patients seem to report that they are pulling weeds with their expensive spines....

I think now that this question needs to be added in the Oswestry questionaire. “Can you pull weeds” Yes or No?

Can you imagine at the next SOSORT scoliosis meeting, they establish that this is the “acid test” of recovery?

“She is pulling weeds at 5 months! She is completely recovered”. (150 surgeons nodding in agreement) LOL

On a serious note, please be careful with the bending and tying of shoes....I have had major soft tissue pain events out at 22 months due to this....boy, that hurt like the dickens!

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Heidi, glad to hear that you're doing so well! I am impressed. When you say you don't have problems cooking - can you use an oven? It involves leaning forward when you put something in and out, so I am curious about that.
                                I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                                45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                                A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
                                X