Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: twisting limitations with full fusion.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

twisting limitations with full fusion.

Here are some pics that will show how far I can twist with a T2-pelvic fusion.
    I also have pics of my rib hump, which is now much less. I still have about 30 degrees rotation in my vert, verified by my cts. My hump was much worse before my surgeries.

Hopes this gives some idea as to limitations after a full fusion.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Ti Ed,

The sitting photo especially seems to defy physics. Your shoulders are rotated more than 45* w.r.t. your hips. That means you are able to rotate your shoulder girdle significantly around from your hips.

I guess I never realized that was possible with your fusion.

Amazing.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Those are absolutely amazing photos Ed. Seriously, wow. I'm fused T1-L4 and with the amount of physical activities I enjoy, I'm resigned to the fact that I may possibly end up being fused to the sacrum when I'm older. It's never worried me a great deal because I know how active people with sacral/pelvic fusions can be, but these photos make me worry even less

wow...that's so amazing, Ed...very unexpected, as Sharon said...

i have a question...before your surgery..did your shoulder blades ever bother you while sleeping...like, feeling really uncomfortable when you were laying on your back or side...kinda' like they were poking up and hurting...this has been happening with me lately..& thoracic was at only 40 degrees october 2009...i will see scoli surgeon april 12...
    every surgeon i've seen, including dr anand in january, said fuse T11-S1 and L4-sacrum..now i'm thinkin' thoracic could present problems later on by not being included in fusion.......

anyway..i think your back looks incredible....and how much you are able to twist...well, chubby checker would be soo proud...whoops...bet he was "before your time"

jess

Absolutely incredible photos - inspiration to everyone here with a full fusion. Me being one of them.

I think the photos are great Ed and I believe they will be so helpful to so many on here, especially those considering a long fusion.

You seem to have covered the bases here - but I still like the photo you posted (last year maybe?) of you balancing on the front tips of your skis and your poles...

That one still mystifies me!!!
    Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
    Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
    Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
    A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
    Achieved +70% Correction
    Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
    New Spine 03/19/2009
    New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

And another thing...

I note you can bend pretty far forward.

In general it doesn't appear that you are limited in any way from the photos.

You have a very straight back... you might consider dressage... posture is everything.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

No face?

Hey Ed!!

GREAT idea to take and post those pics! You really should have included one of your cute little face so everyone can see what the comedic genius on the forum looks like~

Glad all is well in your little corner of the world! Suzy

Wink

The X-Rays look amazing! You're fusion turned out very nice. I'm so happy for you!

Wow Karen!

1st place over 20 golfers! That’s great! Glad my photos helped out some....You are in inspiration to many here.

Its JonMark’s turn to post, you are ready buddy, start your own thread. You have an incredible story and are a trooper. And Dee, YOU ARE an incredible person.......You deserve some sort of award, I wish I could give it to you......Glad that you guys showed up here for support.

I hope I helped out somewhat on the phone.....

Both of you are going to do just fine.

Ed

My x-rays

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumed View Post
    I also have pics of my rib hump, which is now much less. I still have about 30 degrees rotation in my vert, verified by my cts. My hump was much worse before my surgeries.

Ed
    Ed, your scar and the bending and standing are almost identical to mine. I had surgery in 2009 at Springfield, Missouri. Dr Wade Ceola is my surgeon. I hadn't been on this site in years but today is my birthday and I received a birthday greeting. Very happy that you are doing as well as I am. I returned to work within 3 months of my surgery. Still have down days; but, who's to say everyone doesn't. I'm 61 today and very proud I had the procedure. My life would not have been as full without the surgery because I was becoming very limited in my activites and breathing. Today is great!!

Bill

Well Bill, Happy birthday! and welcome to the forum.

I have been sitting at the table here for years chatting with all the NSF ladies and to tell the truth, I’m running out of material! LOL I need to switch to more comedy to try to liven things up.

If you select “forum” and select Surgical (first time) you will see Linda Racine’s “I’m Happy I had surgery” thread. It would be good to simply copy and paste your post right in there. That thread installs hope for newbies.

We would love to hear your story, maybe I can talk you into that, and start your own “Introductory” thread. There are not too many elder males here, and your story would be of great value to all that read here.

Fantastic to hear that everything is doing fine with your spine....

Ed

My x-rays

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumed View Post

Ed
    Ed, I just looked at your X-ray now (as I have had some difficulties with the site, could only access the first link). You are fused like I am. I am uncomfortable 24/7, even when trying to sleep. What about you? How do you manage now, post-surgery? I don't clean, (have a cleaning lady and my husband helps), I cook (with difficulty), if I drop something on the floor, picking it up is a problem (don't always have a grabber near-by), even showering and washing my hair is an ordeal. I can't lift either. Everything takes so much time! I had a very active life with work, entertaining, some traveling. Now, I mostly sit and think back to how good things used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce B. View Post
    Ed, I just looked at your X-ray now (as I have had some difficulties with the site, could only access the first link). You are fused like I am. I am uncomfortable 24/7, even when trying to sleep. What about you? How do you manage now, post-surgery? I don't clean, (have a cleaning lady and my husband helps), I cook (with difficulty), if I drop something on the floor, picking it up is a problem (don't always have a grabber near-by), even showering and washing my hair is an ordeal. I can't lift either. Everything takes so much time! I had a very active life with work, entertaining, some traveling. Now, I mostly sit and think back to how good things used to be.
    Hi Joyce...

How long ago was your surgery? And, can you describe why everything is so difficult? Is it painful? If so, where?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Linda, I didn't see your post until today...sorry. My first surgery was in 1969 by Anthony DePalma. He was head of ortho at Jefferson U in Phila until he retired the following year. Richard Rothman took over then with The Rothman Institute. I had my revision surgery there by Dr. Alexander Vaccarro in 2006. I had many complications (almost was one of the 25% mortality risk I was warned about). I was in a coma on a ventilator in the NICU for 17 days. I finally regained consciousness and went to a rehab facility. Total hospitalization and rehab facility was about 2 months. After I went home, I continued with outpatient therapy for 4 months. Then I joined a gym/indoor pool and continued my Aqua-therapy on my own. I was a
    successful realtor in Mercer Cty NJ for. 23 years. Because of my fusion T-2 to the sacrum, and my diminished general stamina, I was forced to retire. I continued Aqua-therapy until we moved to Fl in 2012.

Sometime after my surgery and rehab, I actually was able to walk unassisted by a cane, etc. however, that did not seem to last very long. As time went on, I have become less active. Everything I do seems a chore.
    I had been on narcotic pain meds for many years, and at my own doing, I have been weaning, and am now down to 2.5 mgs of something I don't want to mention. Hopefully, I will be finished soon.

I previously joined the forum back in 07 and had communicated at that time with Karen O., who was very helpful. Since I re-joined recently, I have investigated many things I have learned on the forum. One is that I may never be finished with my scoliosis problems until the end. Also, I read an on-line article by Dr. Matthew Cunningham at HHS in NYC. In the article, he discussed problems after surgery related to balance problems and limitations with walking which could be caused by scar tissue. I'm sorry if I am repeating, but there is a lot of background information.

Best way to describe is that I am uncomfortable sitting (unless I am in my recliner), I have a Temperpedic mattress, but still have difficulty getting comfortable and falling asleep. I wake up often and fatigued. I can stand for about 1-1/2 hr. then I need to sit and take a break. My limitations with walking are mechanical, my legs don't want to move well or quickly. I have a very "heavy" feeling at my lower back. I am no longer in pain. I have very little stamina. My condition was worsened over the last 4 years or so. And last year, I fell backwards on a ceramic tile floor and fractured T-5. Another 7-month ordeal. Oh, I have poor balance also, which I now realize may have caused the fall.

I also have osteoarthritis in both knees, one is getting very bad. Don't know where to turn. I feel that I have a poor quality of life, despite the fact that I thank God everyday that I am alive. If you have any information, ideas, suggestions, etc., I am open to any. Thank you Linda. Joyce