Thread: 4 Week Anniv Today

4 Week Anniv Today

Well, believe it or not it's been 4 weeks since the day of my surgery. And, I have to say I feel pretty good. I'm getting lots of rest, still taking meds and using my walker - but all in all it's going pretty good. Slow, but good. I initially had a horrible time sitting up - 5 minutes was a killer. But, I can see a big change nearly every day now. Gets a little easier. If I get in too much pain sitting up, I just lay down for a few minutes - sometimes I fall asleep though. Ha! Then, I get up and sit in a chair again. I am pretty determined to overcome this. So, to all you who are getting ready to or have just had surgery - have a positive attitude and make yourself do your very best at overcoming this. It feels sooooo good to finally have this much behind me. I owe it all to my wonderful hubby, family, friends and, of course, my forum friends. It's like they say - every day gets a little easier. Promise.

Hi Rita, good to see that you are doing really well. I was not allowed to sit for more than ten minutes at a time, It didn't bother me though, as i felt more comfortable walking around. Don't know if you remember, but do you re-call my post a while ago, where i said "its not a walk in the park but it's not that bad either" or something to that effect? Do you feel the same way now that the surgery is over? Keep up the good work! Best wishes.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Yes, Vali. I do remember your post. And, you're right. It's not bad; not nearly as bad as I had invisioned. Seems once I got home I was so much more comfortable. In my own bed, own food. And, from a week ago to now I have really progressed - I can sit longer now. Still get in quite a few naps, still taking the drugs and still using my walker as the legs are still a little wobbly - feel kinda like Bambi on her first steps. Ha! Yup, you were right. Thanks so much for the encouragement. You were very correct.

Great news! Another one safely over the hurdle!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Way to go Rita,
    I am still in awe of those of you that are able to type on here so soon after surgery. Keep it up.

Thanks for the smile!!!
    Shari

Cheers to you, Rita. It will just keep getting better. Take it one day at a time!

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

congrats on the one-month mark....it only gets better from there!!

Yup, you're right - one day at a time, listen to my body and just take things as they come along. For those hoping to make it to this point, on the other side, soon - believe in yourself. Have a positive attitude - that's 90% of the recovery a positive attitude.