Hot Tubs after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Tubs after surgery?

We're thinking of doing a patio renovation that would include a hot tub. A friend of mine who's about a year post-op from her revision surgery swears by it, and I think it was even recommended by her Dr. Anyone out there using one on a regular basis, do you find it helpful, do you have any limitations on usage because of your surgery? Have been in them on vacation and at the gym where I swam (and it was wonderful) but obviously haven't been in since surgery. The idea sounds heavenly, but right now only my husband can try them out in the stores. If you use one, does it have a lounge where you can recline as opposed to just sitting? I know this is sort of frivolous compared to some of what we talk about on here, but just trying to gather info. before spending big $$.
    Thanks.

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

I, too, am interested in this answer.
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

My husband bought me one about 5 months prior to surgery, because I had so much lower back and nerve pain down one leg. It helped tremendously (although, of course, temporarilly). I had a FIT a few days after originally going into the hottub to discover that I had hottub folliculitis. These HORRIBLE, UGLY rashy things mostly on my trunk and the insides of my arms (where they rubbed against my bathing suit). I made my husband empty the tub and start all over, and then I was really REALLY careful to check the water prior to going in.

I wouldnt go in the hottub maybe a month or so prior to surgery to make sure I didn't get an infection and risk having to reschedule.

Since my surgery was in Oct and we live in NJ, I was NOT going into the tub in the dead of winter. But starting last summer, I was in it almost daily. I had many muscle spasms last summer and the tub was a great help. It felt great, and I wasn't uncomfortable at all. I got a little head rest pillow and it was just great.

Yes it's frivolous, but it sure feels great on our backs.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Anne

I used mine before my surgeries. Actually it was my accountants idea since I had a chunk of medical expenses the year I bought mine. I had a Doctor recommend it in writing and I wrote it off.

I used mine for years prior to my surgeries. During my recovery, I used my bath tub quite a bit. Hot water, 106 degrees works very well with high levels of pain.

I have a high end model, ozone bulb, (that’s mandatory) neck jets, recliner.
        After a full fusion, the recliner doesn’t match my back so, Im only hitting on 2 points, my butt, and the top of my shoulders, which doesn’t exactly float the boat anymore. The neck jets are great....

I don’t use mine anymore.... don’t really need it. I guess that’s a good thing.

If I were to do it over again, I would pick out a high-end deep tub with jets for the master bath, and re-do the bathroom. That boosts the value of the home, hot tubs have no resale value. Its easier to deal with, use it in the winter, no chemicals needed, and probably use less power.

Always use a licensed contractor.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi...

Like Ed, I got a letter from my surgeon recommending hot tub therapy to relax my muscles, and had it installed shortly after my surgery. It was heavenly.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think if we undergo this kinda surgery we should automatically get a hot tub. Part of therapy ya know? It could make a whole difference.....
            Rita Thompson
            Age 46
            Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
            Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
            Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
            Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              Hi...

Like Ed, I got a letter from my surgeon recommending hot tub therapy to relax my muscles, and had it installed shortly after my surgery. It was heavenly.

--Linda
              I'm such a dummy. I didn't even THINK that the insurance would cover it so we paid for it.

Comment

Insurance will not pay for a hot tub, but the amount would be tax deductible if prescribed by a physician.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hm what's the price range for a decent hot tub?
                  Age 25 male
                  Upstate NY
                  T3-L3 fusion for 80's degrees kyphosis
                  Anterior 9/21/10 & posterior 9/28/10
                  Post op degrees soon to come

Comment

The scoliosis nurse at the hospital where my daughter had her operation warned us about hot tubs. Apparently they had a patient who opened up her scar with the powerful jets. We let our daughter use the hot tub but not with the jets on.

Comment

Originally posted by my.str8.kate View Post
                      The scoliosis nurse at the hospital where my daughter had her operation warned us about hot tubs. Apparently they had a patient who opened up her scar with the powerful jets. We let our daughter use the hot tub but not with the jets on.
                      I wouldn't consider going in until the incision was WELL healed. I was in last summer and preferred the slow jet setting. The high setting just didn't feel good.

Comment

Yes we only let our daughter use the hot tub about a month after her operation and after we had checked it out with the doctor if it was ok.

Comment

We've seen tubs in the size we're looking for ranging from around $6,000 to $11,000. Like everything else, it seems you get what you pay for. Some of the lower end models have all kinds of lights, stereo systems, etc. We'd rather pay for better quality construction, easier maintenance and emphasis on the therapeutic aspects rather than bells and whistles. Still haven't made a decision. Doing some more shopping this weekend. If anyone has any personal recommendations for brands, etc., feel free to share. They're not something rated by Consumer Reports!
                          Thanks

Anne in PA
                          Age 58
                          Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                          T4 to sacrum fusion
                          63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                          Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                          Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                          X