No announcement yet.

Hr 4872

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharon, Some of these people that major in biology or pre-med will pick something altogether different for the reasons you state (limited jobs outside of medicine).....

The road to becoming a doctor involves hundreds of thousands in student loan debt, deferal of income for a number of years, a pittance of an income during the internship/residency/etc years (especially when you factor in the number of hours worked), -this stage can last close close to a decade for some specialties, sacrafices of quality of life even when all the training is done (called away from and/or missing childrens games for on call issues, disrupted sleep etc ). It's not easy street like some people seem to think. Not even close. Without compensation to make it worth their while, many will choose not to take that path. Now, maybe I should say IF compensation is negatively and materially affected under this bill, many will choose not to go into the field. Maybe compensation and other issues won't turn out to be as negatively impacted after all. Maybe orthopedic surgeons, for example, who spent YEARS honing their craft will still be compensated well. Maybe not, as has been said, I guess we have to see how it plays out.
    Last edited by jillw; 03-30-2010, 03:18 PM.
    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

as i said, i go to doctors who opted out of some or ALL insurance once they had a big enuf practice...my hormone doctor, who is EXCELLENT ( and hard to get since oprah had her on TV!)...is one of those doctors..she is soooo busy...without taking ANY insurance! so i am quite sure there will be other doctors like her..and other patients who find the money to go see them! and i AM NOT RICH...i worked all my adult life as a special ed teacher and then social worker in NYC public schools...not exactly like Wall Street!! i paid Dr Boachie cash for a consult...and Dr Anand....soooo...dont cry for the doctors...please! you never know...maybe they could try lowering the price of med school!! you know, grad school for social work wasnt cheap, either
      i refuse to feel any pity for these doctors...none at all! is anyone forgetting how rich they got before there were HMO's? why do you think they refuse to take some insurance...and who do you think has been paying for that all these years? Dr Anand doesnt take my insurance...
      so who do you feel sorrier for...the patients or the doctors? maybe we should all head for another country to see how those doctors make it work!
      REALLY!

jess

Comment

Interesting blog by Dr. Richard Reece

http://medinnovationblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

according to the lawsuits they file, Physicians Foundation and their members care about little but how much they are reimbursed by insurance companies...they hate Medicare, so it would be expected that they wouldnt like the health care bill, either...they are so busy filing lawsuits against people like aetna and cigna, i am surprised they have time to think of patients...
          i dont like the way insurance companies treat patients, but i doubt that these people have patients at heart either!

jess
          Last edited by jrnyc; 04-02-2010, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Companies like Verizon, AT&T, Caterpilar, Deere, etc .. enjoy enjoy tax benefits for retiree plans. For Verizon, this amounts to $970 million dollars a year. Our new law eliminates this tax break beginning in 2013. I read in a Bloomburg article where this will cause consumer prices to rise. So, looks like both big business and consumers will share in covering the cost of health care? I think the Bloomburg article may just be covering the tip of the iceburg. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=acOdGHWujF9I

Just a few days ago, the state I live in passed a law where employees like myself, will begin "contributing" to our pension plan. The bill was a last minute "surprise" introduction - following the passage of the health care law (hmmmm). This amounts to me taking $75/year out of my pocket. Doesn't sound like much - but, in addition to rising costs on everything else that I will face + the fact that raises (and cost of living increases) have been, and will continue to be, out of the question till who knows when ... finds me wondering if my personal budget won't become even more stressed than it has been. Of course I'm lucky to have a job, and am grateful for that - even if I have to worry constantly about keeping it amid relentless budget cuts.

Bottom line - where is this going to lead? I'm thinking .... to the doctor (thankfully covered by insurance), and those little blue pills that make life look all rosey (the yellow ones won't be strong enough). Hopefully, the prescription plan will cover most of the cost.

Comment

OK...i had to "contribute" to my pension plan for years and years...doesnt everybody? honestly didnt know anybody doesnt have to...and i contributed monthly!

big companies always get the breaks..and the bail outs...and since Bush deregulated the banks..it just got worse...
              ...the workers...the "common man"... always pay..but that is just how it is...

jess
              Last edited by jrnyc; 04-02-2010, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Hi Jess - no, not everyone is required to contribute to pension funds. Until just a few days ago, Florida was one of seven states where government (state, city, county level) employees were not required to contribute.

Comment

nice...i know FLA is also a state that doesnt tax civil service employee pensions...NY does, CA and CT do...i think most states, besides FLA and NM do...so i pay state taxes on NYC DOE pension as former special ed teacher and social worker in public schools! i paid into my pension in NYC for YEARS!!! every month!

jess

Comment

FLA has no state tax also. It is very attractive to folks who don't have kids.

If you do have kids, FLA has one of the worst public school systems in the country. You get what you (don't) pay for.

If my husband wasn't transferred out of Florida by the time my kids were entering school I would have had to leave in the middle of the night with them. I attended top shelf public schools (in NYC) and I'm not going to deny that experience to my kids.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post

If you do have kids, FLA has one of the worst public school systems in the country. You get what you (don't) pay for.
                      While this statement was once the popular "group think" ... such is no longer the case today -

http://www.tampabay.com/news/educati...icle960721.ece

Personally, I would like to see our school systems restructured to be more in keeping with the Quaker based Friends school systems - you know, the choice of Presidents, for their children (current and recent past). I was fortunate enough to have my daughter enrolled in Friends for the first six years of her schooling - big difference between Friends and the standard public school system!

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
                        While this statement was once the popular "group think" ... such is no longer the case today -

http://www.tampabay.com/news/educati...icle960721.ece

Personally, I would like to see our school systems restructured to be more in keeping with the Quaker based Friends school systems - you know, the choice of Presidents, for their children (current and recent past). I was fortunate enough to have my daughter enrolled in Friends for the first six years of her schooling - big difference between Friends and the standard public school system!
                        I'm very skeptical. In fact I don't believe the numbers.

When we were in FLA 1997-2000 I believe only MS and LA had worse public schools (on average) than FLA in the country.

What are the SAT scores? That's where the rubber meets the road. That is conspicuous by its absence in those ranking criteria. Last I checked which was a while ago I admit, Wisconsin and Iowa often are the top two states in SAT scores. Wisconsin at least has a huge state tax rate. You get what you pay for.
                        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hey Sharon
                          i agree with what you said about the schools...except for NYC public schools...granted, i only worked in special ed, but there were special ed classes in just about all the public schools in NYC...i worked in one pretty good one (on upper west side of Manhattan) and about 22 out of 25 years in awful ones!! you have to live in a good neighborhood....even then there is no guarantee anymore!
                          years and years and centuries ago, all three of us (sisters) went to public schools in NYC...and they were excellent (back in the 50's and 60's)...somewhere late 60's and in the 70's, it was downhill all the way!! the standards have dropped so low! and i covered some main stream classes that werent all that much better than some of the special ed classes! once i switched to social worker, i saw more of the schools....and it wasnt good! i also spent 10 years doing educational testing of "regular" and "special ed" kids...saw i saw alot of all sides of the school system there....

i say it with sadness...as a born and raised and lived most of my life New Yorker...it saddens me greatly to see what has happened!

but...on a brighter note...Happy Holiday to all out there on forum...

jess

Comment

I was wondering also how the new health plan would affect our scoliosis options... thanks for this discussion. Some tiny part of me wants to keep surgery as an option! Covered!
                            34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                            Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Working...
                            X