Update on my Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Kristy
    i just looked up what a "dural tear" is....and how it feels...and heals...i hope it seals up for you really fast...and that the headache has eased up...those spinal headaches are rough!!
    thoughts & prayers go out to you....will send you best wishes til you're 100% again...or better!

jess

Comment

Back From the Hospital

Yay I'm home! Came home yesterday but have been soooo tired. It takes so much energy just to lift a finger. Thank goodness for my hubby or I wouldn't eat. This brace is getting me down. It is so much more intense than the one I had with my first surgery. It is custom made, skin tight and I wear it 24 hours a day except for bathing. I will do whatever it takes though to protect my back and make sure this thing heals right. I am so happy with the way it turned out! I have not even been using my walker. I feel steady on my feet, just very weak which will come in time. I lost alot of blood so will need to build back up. My heart beats very fast on exertion. Good Luck to everyone else facing this journey!!!
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Glad to hear that you are home

Rest up so that you get stronger

Melissa

Comment

Congratulations, Kristy...glad to hear that you made it home safe & sound...

did the doctor say when to return to check your progress?
          hope your healing is smooth & uneventful...

best regards
          jess

Comment

I'm so glad you're happy with this surgery. Hope the remainder of your recovery goes smoothly, Kristy!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Kristy.

I am also very glad you are home. It is so very comforting to be home where you can rest in peace. I hope you have a swift and uneventful recovery.

Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sounds great! Keep us informed.
                36 year young cardiac RN
                old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

More News!

I have gained over 2 inches in height!!!! I am now 5'4 which I have never been. Prior to surgery I had shrunk to less than 5'2. Got a call yesterday from a company called BioMax to fit a bone stimulator. I wasn't aware I was to have this , but bring it on. Anything to fuse faster! Hubby is having to help me with my shower, finally washed my hair yesterday. Those few minutes out of the brace are just like heaven! The incision is starting to itch , but hard to scratch with this brace. I suppose its a good thing. This coming week in Indiana is supposed to be great weather so I will work on my walking outside. My pain is minimal. Other than some nerve pain in my left upper thigh, my back is just achy. Good Luck to all the people having surgery this week!

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Kristy , You sound great. All your news is wonderful. Hope it continues

Melissa

Comment

I'm so glad you're recovering so well, Kristy. You earned it!

Comment

Hey Kristy
                        what a great way to start spring!
                        congratulations....may you heal completely and come to the pain free life you so deserve after all that time of suffering!

jess

Comment

Plugging Along...

Took my first shower all by myself today. Just need help getting my brace on and off,along with the bone graft stimulator. The brace fastens in the back. I am getting stronger every day. I am so glad I had this revision done! I feel 30 years younger already......

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                              Took my first shower all by myself today. Just need help getting my brace on and off,along with the bone graft stimulator. The brace fastens in the back. I am getting stronger every day. I am so glad I had this revision done! I feel 30 years younger already......
                              First of all, the shower is fantastic .

How many weeks out from surgery are you?

I have a couple of questions for you. Regarding the brace since you wear it under your clothes, what do you have next to your skin?

What is the bone graft stimulator? IS it uncomfortable to wear? How long do you wear that?

Thanks

Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,
                                I had my revision on March 18 so am 2 1/2 weeks out. When I said I took a shower, LOL, I have taken a shower since then but needed help from hubby. Yesterday I was completely independent, Yippee! As for my brace, I wear a soft t shirt underneath the brace. Around the house I don't wear anything over it. One funny thing, people feel the need to knock on my brace everytime they come near me! If I go out, which isn't often right now, I have just been wearing a light jacket over the top of it. The bone graft stimulator is very simple. It involves just placing 2 electrode patches on either side of my spine at the level of my osteotomy which both have wires that attach to a pager size unit that I wear clipped to my pants. It is not uncomfortable at all. I just have to change the patches when I bathe, and the batteries last about 2 days. I hope you find out your new surgery date soon, Melissa. Are your blood sugars under control???

Comment

Working...
                                X