Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on my Surgery

Wink Update on my Surgery

I am standing Straight and Tall! Looking Forward for the first time in years instead of at the floor. Excuse my English. I am on pain meds of course...I had my surgery on Thurs Mardh 18 at 8 am and he did not get done until 4 pm. I have to wear a brace after all, it was custom made the day after my surgery. I got it today and finally got to get out of my bed and take a walk. I was so happy that I cried!!!!! Even my hubby cried!!! I did have a few minor complications. I had to be transused 4 units of blood during surgery and my hemoglobin is having a hard time getting back up. If it doesn't creep back up by tommow I will prob have to have more blood. They also left a staple in my head!!LOL Apparently they staple the sensors to you during surgery. Oh well. Right now I have been told to decreas my use of morphine and to use more PO meds so I am taking Percocet. So far so good. I will update as my days go along.......I am so much more alet this time than my last surgery.
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

I'm so happy for you Kristy! You sound great, very positive. You sure deserve to have a great outcome after what you've been through, and it sounds like you have!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Hi Kristy,
    It sounds good. I am happy for you and hope that your recovery is quick and without serious problems.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

It's great to hear from you, Kristy! You do sound really good-- and how exciting for you and your family that you are finally standing straight and tall! Keep us posted-- and gentle hugs and best wishes! Susie
    66 and still heartbroken...
    2007 52 w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior spinal fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15
    2014 DXd w/CMT (type 2)

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Kristy, You sounds wonderful. How great it must feel to be on this side .You will be in my prayers.

Melissa

Kristy--I seldom go to the revision surgery but saw you'd had surgery again. This is wonderful that you are standing straight now! Continued good wishes as you recover. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Yipeeeeeeeeee!!! I'm so happy for you Kristi.

Yikes about the staple!! I had no idea

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Hey Kristy
    so glad to hear you are doing well....and what a relief that you are straight & tall! hope the blood improves....hang in there...this will be the last surgery you need!
    and really...braces are all the rage this spring!

thoughts & prayers for you....
    jess

Kristy,
    I don't have the words to tell you how happy and excited I am for you! I'm sorry you had to have so much blood and will have to wear a brace, but what a small price to pay for being straight and tall! You sound absolutely amazing considering it's been less than 48 hours since such an extensive surgery! Keep us all updated on your progress!

PS-A staple in your head? Well, I guess if the glue wouldn't hold the sensors they ran to the docs office and grabbed the stapler off his desk. That's what I'd do!!!! JK
    Becky
    51 years old
    Married 28 years
    3 kids ages 23, 21 and 17
    Fused T-10 through L-5 June, 2008
    Developed junctional kyphosis, flat-back and sagittal imbalance
    Revision Surgery June 27, 2011
    Fused T-4 thru S-1 with pelvic anchor screws
    Take 2 revision October 15, 2013 to locate source of continued pain
    Pseudoarthrosis at L-3, 2 screws removed

Kristy -- Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

You go Kristy! Isn't straight and tall WONDERFUL!!!! I'm wished that for as long as I can remember....Congrats - sounds like you are doinjg WELL!!!

Talking couldnt sleep

Oh thank you all for all the good wishes! I had a setback today. A horrific headache initially thought to be a migraine but now maybe thought to be a dural tear( sounds worse than it is). The headache was harder to deal with than the back pain. It is much better now. I may move to regular bed tomorrow from progressive care, yay! I already notice differences in how my spine moves.
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Quote Originally Posted by naptown78 View Post
    Oh thank you all for all the good wishes! I had a setback today. A horrific headache initially thought to be a migraine but now maybe thought to be a dural tear( sounds worse than it is). The headache was harder to deal with than the back pain. It is much better now. I may move to regular bed tomorrow from progressive care, yay! I already notice differences in how my spine moves.
    Oh Kristy I am so happy for you that you may move to a regular bed tomorrow

Melissa

Hi Kristy, sorry to hear about this setback. Did they confirm a dural tear? Does a dural tear heal by itself? It doesn't sound like much fun. Hopefully you're back on track again now.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Wishing you all the best for a speedy and safe recovery. Im amazed whenever I see someone posting just two or three days after surgery. At that point I wasnt even sure I was still among the living.