6 wks. and so far, so good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 wks. and so far, so good...

Had my 6 wk. app't. yesterday. I was just amazed at the before and after x-rays. I have shared so many of yours on this forum, and I just couldn't believe I was finally looking at my own films. My no's may not look all that impressive but with the severity and stiffness of my curves, I'm thrilled and so was Dr. Lonner. All of my pre-op pain is gone, I'm balanced, I feel good and he was very pleased with my recovery progress. Yes, I can see the places where he was unable to complete some of the hardware placement due to my extensive blood loss. If those spots don't fuse in the next few months, we're probably looking at a second, albeit less invasive surgery which I just dread. But, am trying to stay positive, keep walking, (I am even allowed to walk laps in the pool, just not swim yet) and hope and pray that the bone grafts and BMP do their job and FUSE!! Won't know until CAT scan in early June. My clamshell brace will be with me at least until then, but that's OK. Even with the complication, I am so very, very glad I did this. It does make you a different person in a lot of ways! Heartfelt thanks to folks on this forum for helping me get here!

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

So glad to hear your doing well. Makes me feel so much better and look forward to my own surgery. Thanks!
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Wow! I think those numbers are very impressive! Your body has been through so much and you're feeling good. that says a lot! I myself only got 50% correction, though I could have asked for more correction....it just would have meant a more complicated surgery. I still have a bit of a hump and rotation but overall am happy with what cosmetic look I got and definitely the pain improvement.

Good luck with continued recovery!
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

Hi Anne. I'm thrilled to hear that you are doing so well! Your posts sound so upbeat! It gives me more confidence in Dr. Lonner as well. Hope your enjoying some beautiful weather in PA; New Jersey was wonderful! All the best, Joy

Comment

Anne - so happy to hear how well your six week appointment went, hope and pray you don't need any more surgery. It sounds like a good correction to me, most importantly - glad to hear that you are feeling so much better
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Anne

Sounds good. Just hang in there and take it slow.

When I was 6 months out, my surgeon told me I was fused. I took it real easy till I was fused, just wanted to be safe and not take any chances.

Walking is important. It keeps things flowing! You know, that blood oxygen thing. LOL

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Anne,

I was still in pain at my 1st post-op visit, but it was overwhelming, in a good way. Finally, a fairly straight spine. I am not completely straight in the lumbar region but that was going to be his toughest task.

I am so happy for you,
              Shari

Comment

Working...
              X