No announcement yet.

Alcohol - another crazy question :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow so I could have some more drinkies before surgery Actually - I'm going to quit now till way after the surgery, I'm 30 lbs overweight right now, and need to follow healthy diet and no alcohol. I've been swimming laps for an hour and 15 minutes almost every day, doing 100 ab exercises every day (as per my brother's advice), and if I don't get to the pool then I walk on the treadmill for as long as I can before it gets too painful - usually 30 mins to 40 mins. So I have no problem with the exercise, I love swimming and working out, BUT the diet is what I always always struggle with. I'm a sugar addict - and that SUCKS!!! However, I will do my very very best to stay off the sugar too now - so wish me luck everybody
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Lynette,
      I actually didn't even think about alcohol and had a couple glasses of wine on a business trip last week. My surgery is set in less than a week. I won't be drinking anyway as I don't usually unless in a social situation. After my first surgery I was on so much pain medicine, I didn't want to mix it so didn't drink any alcohol for a long time. I envy your energy and wish I was able to exercise like you! Good luck on April 1!!!
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I've never been a huge drinker, and really only enjoyed a Captain Morgan and Diet Coke on the boat in the summer. Wait, no, I REALLY enjoyed the Captain! But after my surgery in June 2008, I've just not had any interest in drinking. I've maybe had 4 Captain and Diet's since, and I tried a glass of wine a few weeks ago but it just didn't hit the spot. So I just don't drink. There are days after work that I wish I still enjoyed it cause I could really use the relaxation, but with the narcotics it's just not worth it.
        My surgeon never even brought it up so I didn't give it any thought before my surgery. But since I wasn't a big drinker anyway, it wasn't an issue.
        Becky
        51 years old
        Married 28 years
        3 kids ages 23, 21 and 17
        Fused T-10 through L-5 June, 2008
        Developed junctional kyphosis, flat-back and sagittal imbalance
        Revision Surgery June 27, 2011
        Fused T-4 thru S-1 with pelvic anchor screws
        Take 2 revision October 15, 2013 to locate source of continued pain
        Pseudoarthrosis at L-3, 2 screws removed

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
          That would be pretty bad if you woke up too hung over to get out of bed on time to get to the hospital for your own surgery
          Hilarious. There aren't even words to describe the horror if you missed your surgery time! Aggggh.

My surgery was bright and early on a Tuesday morning, and my "last blowout" was on that preceding Saturday.

Aside from having a Bloody Mary the morning after we finished the AIDS Walk Houston 5K (33 days post-op), I don't think I drank again until maybe 8-10 weeks out.

Since alcohol's a vasodilator, I wouldn't recommend the night before.

However, unless you're drinking heavily every day, alcohol clears your system pretty quickly: Just my opinion, but I've never seen or heard anything "science based" regarding more than a few days prior.

Then again, I'm not your doctor. Ask him/her.
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Lynette - thanks for posting this question! I was truly sitting on the couch just talking to my husband about this. My surgery is a little over a month away. I was thinking I should stop alcohol maybe a month out. But it's March Madness and I can't imagine watching the games without a cold beer. We are just social drinkers so after reading these posts I think I will aim for 2-3 weeks out to stop. Thanks again for the feedback.
            Shari - 55 years old
            Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
            Post op 13 degree curve.
            Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
            2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
            Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
            www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

I had a glass of wine with my last decent meal before surgery. And then had my first glass about a week and a half ago when I was totally off the percocet. I am a nightly "chardonnay before dinner" girl and believe me, I didn't have any desire for it whatsover during those early post-op weeks. Our bodies know what they're doing--we just have to pay attention to what they're saying!

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

all this "stop a month before" i think is nerves...any cop can tell you how long alcohol take to leave your system, and it is not very long...depending on how much and how long you drank...
                as a social worker & drug & alcohol counselor..i can tell you that stopping alcohol 1 day before would be fine...although if the hospital says 2, i guess they are being careful...whether or not you ever want to pick it back up....well, that's another thing entirely!

jess
                Last edited by jrnyc; 03-15-2010, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Hi Lynette! My surgery is the day before yours..on 3/31. It's getting so close now!!! I plan on having a glass (or two) of wine with my dinner on Monday night, 3/29, the night I get in to St. Louis. The next morning I get my central line installed, I won't drink that night, then the next day is my surgery! Yikes!! Getttting nerrrvoussss!!! I NEVER even THOUGHT about not drinking, so thanks for bringing it up! They never mentioned anything about it at my pre-op.

Lynette...good luck to you! We will compare notes after!!!

Laura
                  Laura
                  62 degrees
                  49 yrs. young
                  Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

why do some surgeons put in a central line while most others do not?

Melissa

Comment

Laura - yep I'm definitely getting nervous now. Yesterday I saw my family doctor for EKG, chest x-ray, and blood work, the EKG was great apparently. Don't know about the other results yet. This Friday I see my surgeon for my pre-op at 11:15am. I would love to compare notes with you Laura - nice idea to have dinner out the night you arrive in St. Louis, and I will continue to have my little drinkies with my girlfriends on the Fridays before surgery, only two Fridays left -
                      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Hope all goes well

Melissa

Comment

why do some surgeons put in a central line while most others do not?

Melissa
                          Good question Melissa. I don't have the answer. Mine was put in the day of surgery when I was already asleep. I believe it is a quick way of getting medication into you in case of emergency, but that is only an educated guess.
                          Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Before they take you into the OR, do they put an IV in your hand if you are getting an central line? I have such a hard time with my veins.They can never find them. It is so painful for me and no matter how hard I try not to I always wind up crying because it hurts so much.

Melissa

Comment

I have such a hard time with my veins.They can never find them. It is so painful for me and no matter how hard I try not to I always wind up crying because it hurts so much.
                              Melissa, I have the same issue ... and have had IVs (or hep-locks) about 25-30 times.

Have them give you a shot of buffered lidocaine first: It's an initial sting (completely bearable), but you never feel the rest.

Pam
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks I will do that

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X