Seven Months Out - T10-Sancrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven Months Out - T10-Sancrum

Today is my 7 month anniversary of my spinal fusion. I am 54 years old and had fusion T-10 to Sancrum. For the last ten years, my pain had gradually gotten worse and worse, limiting many of my physical activities. I was TERRIFIED of having any kind of surgery - tried chiropractics, shots, massage, etc and finally nothing was working. I did a lot of research before finding a surgeon who specialized in this kind of surgery - Dr. Dennis Crandall in Phoenix. I can't reiterate enough how scared I was - and I had to wait almost 5 months for the surgery!!!

My good news is that I am 100% pain free after 7 months! I've actually been pain free probably after 4 months. I did p/t as prescribed and walked a lot. Now I am swimming 40 laps three times a week, taking one hour spinning classes three times a week, and feeling AWESOME. My only limitation is I still use the gizmo to put socks on and I can't trim my toe nails - so that's a perfect excuse to get a pedicure!!!

I wanted to share this with everyone who is facing a similar surgery in the coming months, or who is just out of surgery facing a long recovery. There are certainly days and/or weeks when you will be frustrated, in pain and wondering if it was worth it - just hang in there and do what the doctors tell you!

Zoee,

Congratulations! It is always great to hear of another success story as it is so encouraging to others who are on the fence about having surgery.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

That's great news Zoee. It's great for those facing surgery to hear about the successes. I hope you remain pain free for the rest of your life.
      PS I'm pain free too, I hope it lasts!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for this encouraging report! It's great to read these success stories!!!!
        Glenda
        Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
        Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
        Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
        A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
        Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
        Pleased with outcome

Comment

Zoee--That's fantastic! Congrats to you. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

So encouraging to read your post. How long did you have to wait to get back in the pool? I am a lifelong swimmer (6 weeks post-op this Tues.) and would just love to get back in the water. Am walking almost 2 miles a day but miss the smell of chlorine! I have my check-up on Mon.--hoping to get some good news.

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Zoee....glad to hear you are doing so well! I have a few questions for you though. What were your curves before and now after surgery? Im curious because I have a 66 degree thorasic and 66 lumbar curve. My surgeon wants to fuse me from T-10 or T-11 to sacrum and leave the thorasic curve alone. Where was most of your pain pre- surgery? I have alot of lower back pain, but also some like right in the middle of my spine and my left rib cage hurts all the time. And also, did you gain any height after surgery?
              Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
              Still unsure of post-op numbers
              37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
              Scoli pics

Comment

7 months out

Hi Ann -
                I think I was swimming after I started physical therapy which was about three months out - I believe that my p/t told me I could start in December which was about 4 months out. The thing they worry about is the twisting motion but once I had started all p/t exercises and loosened up, it was not so much of a concern and of course I started very slowly - only 10 laps first time, etc.
                Osumike - my curve was 52%. I gained a 1/2" in height!!!!!!

Comment

7 months out

sorry Osumike - forgot to respond to your other question:

most of my pre-surgery pain was in my lower back right side. After surgery for several months I had a sharp pain in the same area if I overdid things at all. The weird thing was on Halloween I was in a LOT of pain in that area and on November 1st the pain virtually was gone when I awakened. I found out at my next appt that the area I had pain in was where the bolt was anchored to my sancrum (only on one side). hope this helps!

Comment

Zoee
                    Congrats on being pain free! Wow!!! Pretty awesome....
                    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Sounds awesome Zoee! So happy for you. Im almost 3 months post op. Looking forward to getting even better. thanks
                      -Bethany
                      pre-op L 74*
                      pre-op Th 56*
                      surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
                      getting nervous

Comment

As I sit here on my chair, try to sit longer each time, pain from sitting but I chug on like the little Engine that coulod - this is an inspiration for me. I love to hear those "no pain" stories. Keep 'em coming! And, Congrats to you!!!!!
                        Rita Thompson
                        Age 46
                        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I love the great news!
                          36 year young cardiac RN
                          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                          Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                          and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Congrats! You are an inspiration to us facing the same surgery.

Comment

Working...
                            X