Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with a thoracic only curve?

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for over a year now, ever since I learned, after silently suffering from scoliosis for 35+ years, that there are so many of us out there. I have noted that many on this forum have lumbar curves, or both lumbar and thoracic. Does anyone have thoracic only curves in the 50-60 degree range? As I understand it, and correct me if I am wrong, but thoracic curves have the worst deformity and lumbar curves generally have more pain involved. I do not suffer from horrible pain, but I do have a pronounced hump which is getting worse, which in turn is giving me more pain (bras dig into my back, even trying clothes on in a store causes me to have back pain - don't know why.) But it's not just the pain, it's the way I look and the fact that it's getting worse. I am planning on having surgery later this year.
    Laurie
    Age 57
    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
    Dr Munish Gupta
    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

There are people on here with only thoracic curves. Both my twins had a thoracic curve only. They were 57* and 58* on the table.

As I understand it, thoracic curves have the highest progression potential but I am not clear if they are also the most numerous types. I think so.

I think the reason you hear mostly about lumbar and to a lesser extent double curves on this forum is that they are more problematic in terms of surgical correction. Thoracic fusion is more definitive, less likely to need any revision or extension, etc. even with the old, historical use instrumentation. Layer on the new instrumentation and you really have a sampling bias. These people are not is such need to seek out fora like this for answers. It's a sampling problem as far as I can tell.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

My curve was thoracic only, 68 degrees at time of surgery. I had a rib hump but that's gone now. I only ever had moderate, intermittent pain. I have no pain now.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Lray, Yes I just actually surgically got my 64 degree thoracic curve fused. I was fused from T2-L2. My recovery has went well! It sucked in the beginning and they hospital stay was rough, but I do not regret I did it now. I love my new back
        My surgery was February 17, 2010, and all has went well. If u have any questions please let me know...
        Melissa

Comment

Hi- I have mainly a thoracic curve at 62 degrees. I am having surgery 4/22/10. T5-L1. I have had similiar experience and pain has been increasing. I am encouraged by all the positive stories on the forum.
          Feel free to chat more.
          Shari - 55 years old
          Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
          Post op 13 degree curve.
          Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
          2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
          Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
          www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Hi LRay. I have a 85-90 degree thoracic curve. No pain. I get more winded these days than my friends. I'm having surgery on June 8th to stop the progression and for cosmetic reasons. Can't stand the rib hump anymore! Best, Joy

Comment

Hi,

My dd had a 60 degree left thoracic curve which was surgically corrected.

She actually ended up having triple curves (initially we thought it was just the big one with a smaller compensatory curve at the bottom).

However, what a surprise when at looking at her one month post op xrays, the surgeon said, "She has a triple curve."

However, we were told that often the top curve (thoracic) is the one which drives the lower curves.

Dd was fused T-2 to T-11/12ish and that ended up helping her lower curves. At one month post op the other two uncorrected curves were in the 20s, at 3 months, they were in the mid-teens.

Btw, her top was corrected to the mid-20s.

Marian

Comment

LRay, I will be having surgery 3 weeks from today for my 62 degree thoracic curve. It has gotten worse each year for the past 10 years or so...And I am just looking forward to getting through this and into the recovery stage. Shop around for the best surgeon for you, is my advice!...when I say "shop" I mean, the one you feel the most confidant in.
                Laura
                62 degrees
                49 yrs. young
                Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Working...
                X