Thread: Balance

Balance

Hi,

I had spinal fusion in January 2007. Over the last couple of months, I've been noticing some problems with my balance. I keep stumbling really easily, and some of my movements don't feel quite as 'right' as they once did. I can't really pinpoint anything, as I haven't paid a huge amount of notice to it! Does anyone else have anything like this? Could it be related to my spine?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    I had spinal fusion in January 2007. Over the last couple of months, I've been noticing some problems with my balance. I keep stumbling really easily, and some of my movements don't feel quite as 'right' as they once did. I can't really pinpoint anything, as I haven't paid a huge amount of notice to it! Does anyone else have anything like this? Could it be related to my spine?
    I suppose anything is *possible*, but unless you've noticed a marked change in your posture - or you're having pain - it seems unlikely to be fusion related (especially 3+ years out).

Probably a good idea to let your regular physician have a look and go from there. Good luck to you.

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op 53, Post-op < 20
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Hi Robbie...

I'm having a similar issue, both in terms of tripping a lot, as well as feeling like I can't quite get my gait to feel even remotely graceful. I don't know if this is the answer, but I talked to an exercise physiologist yesterday. He tells me that people who trip a lot are often those who have a slightly or moderately bent forward posture, and who tend to look down. (I thought I was looking down because I was tripping a lot.) He has advised me to stand as upright as possible when I walk, and to keep my head facing forward instead of down.

With that said, I also think it's not a bad idea to mention it to your primary care physician.

Regards,
    Linda