No announcement yet.

opinions & results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont believe those numbers....I dont know where they came from or how they were compiled....

what i found interesting was the method...& how it can prevent muscle cutting, cause little bleeding, etc...

jess

Comment

Interesting article just published regarding this surgery.
      http://thejns.org/doi/pdf/10.3171/2010.1.FOCUS09278

The following comment pulled from page 7 of the article really surprised me:

"Additionally, no pseudarthrosis at L5–S1 was seen, and no sacral stress fractures or sacral screw loosening were noted. Patients did not receive instrumentation to the ilium. Longer-term follow-up will address the issue of whether techniques such as the ones described by us may obviate the need for iliac bolts."

I always thought long fusions (I am defining long as T10 or T12 to sacrum) required fixation to the iliam. Why would type of fusion not require them?

Comment

dr anand told me that, though regular surgery says i will have fusion L4-S1 & T11-sacrum, with bilateral pelvic fixation, that with his method, i would not need "bilaterl pelvic fixation" ...he said that is a benefit of his method...which sounded good to me....his follow ups are over 4 years old now...so that is the oldest results he can now report...the first interview referenced is after 32 patients...he now has 92....no reported revisions except for screws that pulled out on one woman i spoke to...she had screw removed and rods cut down...and at that point, she was fully fused...

this latest article is more interesting to me, since it is more recent....

i guess time will tell, cause 4 and a half years isnt alot compared to other kinds of surgeries & rod insertions...

but progress will happen...that is the way of all surgerical history in this country and around the world!

jess
        Last edited by jrnyc; 03-13-2010, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Jess,

I guess if Dr Anand can get fusion without use of iliac screws that is great, but I remember reading somewhere that in addition to aiding in fusion, the fixation to the ilium preserves the wear on the SI joints. So in a long fusion the segment fused is supported by both the sacrum and the ilium. But I also know many people get their iliac bolts removed once fusion has set in. Has anyone who had iliac bolts removed on a long fusion has trouble with their SI joints?

Comment

I have some of the longest iliac screws out there. They drive right through the sacrum and down almost to my hips. My hips were sore in my recovery, but now they are fine. I wonder if my SI joints are now fused? They probably are.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Well, I guess the acceptable "scare tactic" analogy would be that I was "carpet bombed" and had JDAMs driven into my hips....Glad I wasn’t nuked. Carpet bombing is truly effective in scaring people. Now that’s 100% guaranteed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_D...ttack_Munition

Funny how greed dictates marketing techniques.........

Other than that, I support these new methods.
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Before I settled on Dr. Rand for my surgery I saw 4 other docs. One of them in NY, not known for scoli surgery was unbelievable. He told me that because of my age, which at the time was 57 and because I had had 2 previous back surgeries, one being a 3 level fusion, I was really at risk for major problems and especially at risk for a major infection. He didn't give me percentages or anything, but in retrospect, he clearly could not and did not want to do the surgery and that's how he handled it. His suggestion was to fuse the s1 level and see if that fixed everything. That was $350 worth of bull and barely a thank you. He was out of network and highly regarded by someone with major back stuff but not scoliosis. I am so glad that I just disregarded him immediately and that was that. He was trying to scare me but why other than he didn't have the nerve to admit he did not do that kind of surgery. He's a big deal in the artificial disk community and the way my spine disintegrates that was not an option. Anyway, just wanted to add my 3 cents.
              Thanks,
              Avis
              1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
              2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
              2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
              Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

all i can say about meeting in person with dr anand for consult was that, up close & in person, he never tried to scare me out of or into anything...he just listed the pluses of his method...

jess

Comment

Working...
                X