My surgery has been canceled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Melissa,

Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic's diabetic diet. It suggests that you ask your Primary care Doc to refer you to a Dietitian.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00027

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
      Hi Melissa,

Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic's diabetic diet. It suggests that you ask your Primary care Doc to refer you to a Dietitian.
      http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00027

Sally
      Excellent, Sally.
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks Sally for that good website

At least it gives me somewhere to start

Melissa

Comment

Well, I have tried 5 times since I have gotten up to stab myself and have all been unsuccessful in getting enough blood. I do not have blood , I guess. I cannot stab my fingers as I am sewing white clothing for my daughter and I am afraid of getting blood on the fabric.

At my doctors appointment yesterday , she prescribed me these drugs Januvia 100MG a day;Lisinopril 5 mgs a day; and Metformin 500 mgs 2 pills a day.

I am so depressed. I am 50 years old and I cannot imagine living the rest of my life never eating my favorite foods again. I just do not see the point of eating if you have to weigh and measure and eat at a certain time instead of eating when you want or when you are hungry. It sounds like a prison sentence to me. Then I have to cause myself pain as soon as I wake up. If this is what the rest of my life is like, then what is the point of living any longer?

Melissa

Comment

Melissa, have you had an actual diagnosis of diabetes? Because there is a pre-diabetic condition where your sugar is reasonably high but it isn't yet diabetes. Unless you've had a fasting blood test, they will not know for sure that it is diabetes or simply high blood sugar, which can be temporary. You need to know for sure whether you are actually a diabetic or not.

Because if not, I would suggest that you get your sugar down and the meds will definitely help, have your surgery and then I think you'll find your sugar levels drop. Stress is a common cause of high blood sugar. The diabetic condition is not all about food, genetics or exercise. It's an extremely tricky, sneaky disease. Even tiredness can have an effect on sugar levels.

I have a neighbour who has been pre-diabetic for 2 years, but she's very overweight and doesn't diet or exercise, so it's likely it will progress to diabetes. Her doctor has told her this. She's also been told if she follows doctor's orders, she can prevent this.

So until you get that definite diagnosis, you may very well only have a temporary condition. I hope so, Melissa.

But if it is diabetes, it doesn't mean you can never have your favourite foods. It's a matter of balancing your overall day's food intake. For example, you might have a high GI food but eat it with a low GI food, which gives you a moderate GI meal. Or a low GI breakfast but a high GI snack mid morning then a low GI lunch. It's fiddly at first, but it comes naturally after a while.

My partner controlled his purely with exercise for many years, but as his pancreas deteriorated, he went onto medication. Now he's on one needle per day, but doing fine.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you Jennifer for your kind words

I guess if I had more time then I could ease my way into this way way of eating and exercise , etc but since I do not want to become addicted to pain pills then I best get my blood sugar down ASAP so I can have my surgery.

Hopefully, once the pain and the stress from the surgery is gone then maybe things will start to settle down for me. I have had so much other stress in my life for the past 4 years now .
              Melissa

Comment

Dear Melissa,

We certainly understand your disappointment (and that word doesn't even cover it) on the cancellation of your surgery. We, too, had to do that for my dd b/c of anemia.

But it can only benefit you in the long run--really. My dd was anemic before her first surgery. We got her blood reserves back in the normal range prior to surgery and I am so glad we did.

She's an asthmatic and also has multiple medication allergies anyway.

She ended up losing 1 1/4 litres of blood (I still don't know how many units that is). She got 1 1/3 litres transfused back into her and she still was sent home being anemic. She had some other problems following surgery--those things have been resolved, but I think that things could've been a lot worse if she also went into the surgery being anemic.

I am so sorry for all of the stressors in your life--but you are important and you need to take care of yourself. You are worth it!

We are here for you!

Marian

Comment

I know that everyone is here for me but it doesn't makle the pain any less nor does it make the waiting any easier. Yesterday, my friend was scheduled to coem down to NC from NJ to be with me during teh surgery which was to be tomorrow. I am sorry that I am being susch a baby about it but I had plnned so many other plans around this date. also this diabetisa things is nit going well at all. My primary doctor is being not nice at all to me,I do not know what to eat and I am always hungry. SHe omly said to eay protein and veghetables. Well, I really don't like protein and vegetables. I am 50 years old, and at this point in my life have made protein a very small part of my plate of food and now I have to make it a big part of my plate and just that throught make me want to vomit.
                  Except for eggs, I cannot think of anything else for breakfast that I could eat.I am sorry that I am rambling on

Melissa

Comment

The stress you are under will not be helping your appetite. I don't know much about shakes but it seems many on this forum used them post-op. But I am wondering if perhaps protein shakes might be the go until your appetite comes back. Perhaps Ed or others who've used them could advise what ingredients go into shakes. I'm thinking they might be easier to swallow than a lump of meat and veg, right now.

Things WILL get better Melissa.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                    X