Carolyn's 1 year post-op check-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carolyn's 1 year post-op check-up

Carolyn had her 1 year post-op visit the other day.

Things are looking great for her. She still has a very slight right curve (either curve or just her shoulder being up slightly) but really it's so slight I can't even tell. If they didn't say "oh there is a slight amount here" -- she looks perfectly straight to me.

She can ride roller coasters now. She can not bungee jump, skydive, tumble, football, or trampolines ever.

She is part of some research and I have to admit I didn't realize just how much her concept of center was skewed until they showed me her before surgery data of where she thought her line of center was vs. now. She was leaning way over to the right but in her head she thought she was centered. It also might explain why she always did everything for gymnastics as if she was left handed, even though she is right. I always thought that was weird but maybe it's just how she compensated or it may have had nothing to do with it at all.

It certainly explains why her dad always says his balance is off & forget walking a straight line, he can't really do it -- he ends up weaving. His curve is much worse than hers was (although if we let it go I'm pretty sure hers would have been just like his as it was already heading that way).

She goes back in 1 year for another follow-up. I did ask how long since it does seem that most of the time it's only 1 year. However, since we are with Shriners I think it's going to be yearly until she is 21. I know it has to be at least 5 years with the research stuff.

We are in the midst of putting together a fundraiser for Shriners so we will get to see our Shriner buddies in the summer but otherwise, she's good to go for another year.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Wow that year flew by!

Congratulations to you and your daughter!

The surgeons at Shriners are great.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Wow that year flew by!
      It really did. I remember getting everything ready for the surgery, etc... and it feels like it was just yesterday on the other hand, so much has happened in the year that the surgery seems ages ago.

That also may have to do with the fact that Carolyn just grew up more in the last year too. There was a huge jump between Freshman & Sophmore years. Although it is funny as she feels like she's a bit new for everything that is happening at school right now -- she missed the following 7 weeks of school last year, so it's as if it's her first year for a lot of this stuff.

I think part of it is before surgery your life (at least mine) was always in getting prepared/planning for the surgery. It pretty much takes on a life of it's own. Even before we knew about the surgery, we knew it was always a possibility and the constantly checking to see how things were.

Now, that is over -- other than the yearly check-ups it's not even a blip on the radar except for medical history stuff and I suppose if someone were to see the scar or something -- of course, it's winter time here so it's not as if the scar is visible. She's just excited she doesn't have to baby it as much for the sun this year.
      Becky

Comment

Wonderful news! I am so glad she is doing so well.
        Curious about the trampoline though as Mandy is counting the months until she can get back on hers. She will be so disappointed if she can't play on it any more once her year is up. The no water slide etc is killing her too but at least our local water park choose this year to close and redo the park
        Prayers for all who are dealing with this!
        Gina
        "With God All Things Are Possible"
        Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
        to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Originally posted by ArabianFancy View Post
          Wonderful news! I am so glad she is doing so well.
          Curious about the trampoline though as Mandy is counting the months until she can get back on hers. She will be so disappointed if she can't play on it any more once her year is up. The no water slide etc is killing her too but at least our local water park choose this year to close and redo the park
          Prayers for all who are dealing with this!
          Gina
          Hmmm....I didn't ask about water slides. Looks like another question to ask about. It's these little things that I wish they would give you a FULL list.

All I knew for sure before the surgery was no gymnastics or football ever....it wasn't until he decided to mention skydiving, bungee jumping, that it made me think to ask about the trampoline. The skydiving/bungee jumping isn't something that she would be likely to have to consider (although good to know because who knows what she will do in life) but a trampoline would be something that she would deal with now.

I think it boils down to anything really jarring on the back but I wouldn't have considered a trampoline any more jarring than a roller coaster. Of course, it could just be that our doctor doesn't like trampolines in general since he did add on they are bad for you anyway. I also remember reading that some doctors said yes for it; others no. It might also have to do with how much of a fusion you have too. Carolyn's is pretty long, it's most of her back.
          Becky

Comment

Working...
          X