Pain Meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain Meds

Tomorrow I will be 1 month post-op. I am only taking 1 percocet at night before I go to bed and if I need it, 1 during the night. Am taking flexeril about every 8 hours which seems to really help. I read posts where people are still on their pain meds several months post-op. I have some pain, but it's nothing I can't live with (except at night, sometimes). I asked the PA in Dr. Lonner's office about stopping the narcotic and she was sort of vague--"you'll know when you're ready." So, am I doing this too early?? I am not one for a lot of meds and I don't want to deal with withdrawal stuff if I can avoid it. Am thinking in a few days, to go to just 1 perc and maybe some extra strength Tylenol. I know you have to be careful about how much acetaminophen you take in a day. I rest a lot but am also walking frequently and made supper today with my husband helping to lift things, etc. So, am I pushing the envelope? I'm sort of used to pain with what I was dealing with before surgery, so maybe I have a higher tolerance? Just curious on how long you took "serious" pain medication.

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

I am three months post of, my surgery was on December 9th. I stopped taking my oxycontin 2 months out, but continued to take my percocet. I was taking my percocet every 4 hours until this past Saturday. I went cold turkey, but got the withdrawls. Couldn't sleep at night, last night was the worst, no sleep! Today was a good day, I went for a 3 mile walk, hopefully that will tire me out, so I can sleep good.

Good Luck, rich

Comment

I found that you really have to listen to your body. I tried to cut back from 2 to 1 percocet at two weeks and it was WAY too early...so I went back. You will find that you kind of take two steps forward, one back occasionally. As I lengthened the time between meds, it would be like taking a step back for maybe a day but then I would feel better. If I felt horrible, then I knew it was too soon. I was completely off after two months.

Same with the chores and getting around. I even tried to eliminate the log roll too soon! Boy, was I achy from getting up and down out of bed and then I realized that I needed to continue to log roll for a little bit more! Take it easy and listen to your body! Sounds like you're doing great!!
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

A lot of when you finally discontinue pain meds depends on where your tolerance was going in.

While I have a really high pain tolerance (the stupid kind that has allowed me to self-tape an ankle during a softball tourney with 2 completely severed ligaments - and play 2 more games before I drove myself home), I am also extremely resistant to normal pain med dosage. Neither do I get the goofy effects most do.

Post-op pain management was my largest post-op concern. After surgery, I was was on a Dilaudid PCA, and staggered 4 hour overlapping doses of 2 Percodan/2 Norco (of the 10/325 variety). Anyone who talked to me (and I made a lot of phone calls) during that time can vouch I was coherent. I was obviously doing well enough to manage days 2-6 in the hospital (solo), and from there on out, recovering solo, at home.

My surgeon took my individual history into consideration when releasing me for activity -including driving at 3 weeks.

Obviously, everyone doesn't fit this model ...
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

It will 5 years for me at the end of May '10. This forum can be the most comforting and supportive place to be, it was for me, and still is. What we all
          have in "common" is some form of an abnormal spinal column.

One of the best lessons I've learned on here is that it's so nice to have someone that cares and knows what we're going through. It's a very special thing to be able to share, but not so wise to compare!!! Let your body heal in it's own way, by listening and learning to/from it. It will let you know when you've done too much, and don't cut your meds off until you have talked to your Dr.

Thoughts and prayers to all,
          Shari

Comment

Anne,

try it, and if it doesn't work out, go back to taking them at night. There are no set rules.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
            X