No announcement yet.

Update on Mandy with photo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a positive story to read, I am so happy for you all. What a wonderful attitude you all had by the sound of things , I feel this is one of the main things when facing any crisis in life.

I too had a similar fusion but a long time ago and I went on to have two children without any trouble, and a great life where nothing was impossible. Just have some problems now probably because of the Harrington rods I think.
    I did find it interesting that Mandy got her periods not long after the operation as I was the same, and quite a few posts I have read have been the same as well, periods following ops. Nothing ground breaking there I know but just found it interesting as said.

Just fantastic as I said before on such a good outcome, good luck and best wishes to all of you. I am sure your daughter is the positive, strong young lady because of you, her mum, she is blessed.

Lorraine.
    Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
    Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Congrats to the Beauty contestant!

I haven't been on the forum for quite awhile and it was so great to see you comment on Mandy!! Brianna has a few weeks until her surgery. I'm just very feeling very edgy (if thats a way to feel) but praying for the best. I can't believe how wonderful everything worked out for Mandy. This is an inspiration to us all.
      Maryann

Comment

Mandy's reward for going through this surgery and getting better so quickly was to get to go to Las Vegas to an Arabian horse show with me. Her 15 year old cousin also got to go.
        She was dissapointed to NOT set off the metal detectors at any of the security points. She had no trouble sitting on the long flights or doing any of the walking though she did get very tired ( as we all did!)
        This was only 3 months past surgery!
        In Las Vegas and Santa Monica Ca. Mandy has brown hair, Lora has black, Momma is the OLD one!
        "With God All Things Are Possible"
        Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
        to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

I wanted to keep posting these updates to show that having scoliosis and surgery has not really changed Mandy's life at ALL. I have to caution her about running and jumping because she forgets that she is not supposed to do that. If you or a loved one are facing this, read her story and maybe it will help to ease any concerns that you have. We have left nothing out, her whole story is here and on caringbridge.
          It's really NOT a big adjustment like I thought it would be!
          Can you tell which of these 6th grade girls in this photo , all near the same age, had scoliosis surgery just 3 months ago ??
          "With God All Things Are Possible"
          Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
          to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Really great to see Mandy's positive progress. It sure is a good feeling to be on this side of surgery!

I've been bad about updating on Katlin (surgery 2/9/10) - seems life gets back to normal fast after surgery. She too has recovered nicely, and is getting on with life. Only issues so far is school make up work - this was a fully packed school year (10th grade) so lots to catch up on.

Has the doctors said anything about Mandy riding in the future? Katlin has expressed an interest lately, but since she hadn't really done much in the past that wasn't a question we asked. I know it is still a long way away and I plan to bring it up next visit, but wondered if you had asked this.

Dee
            Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
            Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
            Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Working...
            X