Update on Mandy with photo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Mandy with photo!

Mandy is 6 weeks post op for spinal fusion and rods, hooks and screws placed on Jan 14,2010. She is back at school full time on naproxen as needed for pain , very seldom needs anything.
    She was in her school beauty pageant last night!!! Can you see the 13 inch incision?
    Anyone who is going through this ordeal , Look what PRAYER and a great surgeon can do! I am so proud of my young lady !
    She was cleared by her Dr Monday NO BRACE!!! No follow up visit for 6 months. Bracing was being considered because she was "leaning" on the previous x-ray.
    Last edited by ArabianFancy; 02-27-2010, 09:07 PM.
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Her post op x ray

Comment

Wow!!!! 6 weeks? I am impressed!!! Just what I needed to hear with surgery scheduled for Monday. And, what a beautiful young lady she is! She should be in every beauty pageant to my notion!!!!! Congrats on a job well done!!!
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I can hear how proud you are of her through your words. She has done a lot of work in the past 6 weeks to get here. Pics are beautiful!!! It didn't say in your post what was fused, but looks like it was a long fusion from the x-ray. So glad to here she's back to her normal life, wearing clothes, school and pagent.

My DD is 3 weeks post op this coming Tues. It's remarkable the progress daliy!! Hope she is back in school soon too.

Dee
        Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
        Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
        Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Thank you all! Mandy was fused from T-5 to L-3. The hard part is keeping her from doing too much now.
          The only problem so far was that she had her first period the other day, since surgery, and it was AWFUL, the back spasms....... Had to put her back on her stronger pain meds for a day and miss some school poor baby but otherwise is doing amazingly well. She gets tired and achy but just keeps on going.
          She does not always understand why she is not WELL already and back to full strength and activities when she FEELS so good.
          Prayers for all going through, or about to go through this. Honestly, as tough as it was, it was not quite a bad as I thought it would be!
          Gina
          www.caringbridge.com/visit/mandydupree

Comment

what a beautiful girl.....you would of never guessed she had scoliosis by looking at those photos...her shoulders look level. I didn't see the scar...

I hate seeing the post xrays...its so hard for me to imagine all that you must of went through...Glad the surgery went well.

she doesn't feel it? No pain?

Hugs!!
            age 15
            Daughter diagnosed at age 13
            T20 l23 10-09
            T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
            T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
            T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
            Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
            Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Thank you all. Mandy does have some pain. She aches some but at 6 weeks post op is doing AMAZINGLY well to me.
              Still numb in the incision site and says she can FEEL the rods and that I told her she wouldn't be able to . Agreeing to disagree on that one They don't hurt her as such, just can tell they are there......... She says she can tell when it starts raining without looking. I told her to stay out of the lightening We keep an upbeat laughing attitude about it. I tell her to stay out of the rain so she does not get rust on her pipes etc. It helps to be very light hearted I think.
              Gina

Comment

Congratulations to you both! Our kids are amazing!

Comment

I hadn't thought about whether they would be able to feel the rods. I have a question or two about dealing with bathing for the two weeks post op. I know we can sponge bathe, but how did you deal with hair washing? Were there any difficulties with this? I know it seems like such a small thing, but I think it will be a big deal to my daughter.

We are still waiting for a surgery date. Hope they send the info soon. She progressed from 58T and 58L to 67t and 70L between August and Jan and appears to have progressed since then to this worried mom's eye. She'll be fused from T4 to L4, as well. So, I'd be interested to know any of the complications you had to deal with in recovery, as your daughters fusion is almost as long as Kelsey's will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelsey's Mom View Post
                    I hadn't thought about whether they would be able to feel the rods. I have a question or two about dealing with bathing for the two weeks post op. I know we can sponge bathe, but how did you deal with hair washing? Were there any difficulties with this? I know it seems like such a small thing, but I think it will be a big deal to my daughter.

We are still waiting for a surgery date. Hope they send the info soon. She progressed from 58T and 58L to 67t and 70L between August and Jan and appears to have progressed since then to this worried mom's eye. She'll be fused from T4 to L4, as well. So, I'd be interested to know any of the complications you had to deal with in recovery, as your daughters fusion is almost as long as Kelsey's will be.
                    Each surgeon has different instructions about showering. My dd had a dressing on her back and we were told not to get the dressing wet, so we had her sit on a shower bench to clean her and then I put some towels over her back and incision when I washed her hair.

As far as the "complications" I think perhaps reading some of the threads about the kids' surgeries can give you some ideas on what to expect.

I think the best advice I received was to keep a journal in the hospital. That way you can get doctors' names, see when her meds were given, etc.

Both my husband and I referred to our journal *a lot* when talking to drs., especially since some of them didn't have her chart right there in front of them when talking to us. We could refer to the dates/times/etc. about when different things were going on.

Good luck to you!
                    Marian

Comment

Hair washing! The WORST part of the whole thing. You can NOT wash hair in the hospital because you can't get the incision wet and they just don't FEEL like it. I think they also put sensors of some type in Mandy's hair because she had tons of huge white flakes coming out of her head for weeks.
                      If the hair is long enough find out if you can do small braids before surgery to keep it from matting up. Mandy's was a NIGHTMARE once we could wash it. Tangled unbelievably!
                      She wont' feel like leaning forward for you to do the braids afterwards .
                      Sponge baths in the bed for a few days . Wash what you can wash and forget the rest Girls of a certain age, menses will likely start after surgery more to have to deal with sigh......
                      I will try to think of anything else helpful. Mandy was in a hospital gown then t-shirts, never used the cute pj's we bought!
                      Gina

Comment

I have 14 year old twin girls both with scoliosis. One is worse than the other and on the surgery wait list. We were originally told it would be a 2 year wait list but when I took the girls for their 6 month appointment the doctor bump Brenna to July for her surgery she is at T62% up 7% from September. Sydney is at T23% with no change since Sept. I am relieved that the surgery is this summer and not next especially if she is continuing to curve.
                        Never thought about the post surgery stuff like bathing and washing hair. This will be very interesting! Even for her to go to the bathroom or picking things up. Good thing it will be in the summer and her sister will be home to help as well.
                        Thank you for putting this information on here it's very helpful. I like the idea about the journal as well. We did something like that when the girls were newborns so that we knew who we fed, and who pooped and who we changed when. I think I will start that journal now and back date it to last September.
                        PS Mandy looked beautiful in her dress. Did she gain any height after they straightened her spine?

Comment

I just had to reply - what a wonderful, positive story - so reminded me of me and my surgery I had when I was 18! FYI, I am now 38, pregnant with my third baby, healthy, straight-spined, never ANY issues or problems with my rod! Mandy is a beautiful girl and was so brave to have gone through what she did!

Comment

Hey, Sorry I have not been back for a while. Thank you for all your comments!
                            aweiker, Thank for your response. I can't wait to show Mandy.
                            I am thrilled to report that Mandy is PAIN FREE. She does not complain of any pain, unless it's that time of month or she overdoes it. She is walking nearly a mile every day to get in shape too.
                            We leave tomorrow evening for her "reward", a trip to Las Vegas to the Arabian Breeder's World Cup show. I am going on business , she is taking a cousin and going to have fun! They can't WAIT! Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we continue to pray for all of you!
                            Mandy looks about 3 inches taller, but the Dr said 1 1/2 inches. EVERYONE comments on how tall she looks, especially those who don't know about her surgery . BTW, You can BARELY see her incision and only if you are really looking for it!
                            Can't say enough good things about her Dr and hospital!

Comment

That's so great that your daughter had a quick recovery and is doing so well now.

By the way, I'm sure you are aware by now that an Arabian (SGS Ahmour) was 14th overall in the recent 70-day stallion testing. Up against mostly warmbloods so that's pretty sporty of him. I know of at least one Arab breeder who is producing extremely nice sport type Arabs.

I had read he was Egyptian but later learned he is (mostly?) Polish IIRC.
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X