Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
    Debbie,
    Did you lose a lot flexibility with your surgery? Dr. Lenke says I will lose a lot of side-to-side twisting, but he also said I'm not doing much of that now anyways. And, I'm bending mostly from my hips now, also, and that will continue after surgery. So, all in all, not much different I think.
    Of course I lost the side to side twisting. But it did take me until I started PT to realize that I could turn and twist when I pivot on my feet. At first I was afraid to do that, but it's just fine.

Everyone is so afraid (rightly so) of the loss of flexibility. I don't notice it any more. I even bend over to pick things I dropped off the floor. I dropped my whole makeup case on the bathroom floor this morning (with a big kaboom) and everything went flying because the zipper was open. By the time my husband got up there to see if I was ok, I was bent over picking everything up. Even after all this time, he commented, 'look at you bending over.' I can do whatever I need to do.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Wow!!!!! I just love to hear that! You are so encouragging. I really needed to hear that. I just truly think there isn't anything we can't do if we set our mind to it!!!
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

That is great news!! It gives me something to focus on .

Melissa

Comment

Working...
        X