People who've been fused T2 to sacrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ed,

My one year anniversary is tomorrow. You have a great memory! I celebrate by seeing Dr. Askin in Brisbane tomorrow and lunch out afterwards. Hopefully he'll cut me loose if everything's in its right place. I'm only having x-rays so he won't be able to tell me if I'm fully fused. I think a ct scan is necessary to see if fusion is complete.

As for how far along I think I am in recovery, I've thought 100% for a while now. No pain since 3 months, and my flexibility has improved since then. Still can't trim my toenails, though trying would make a good Funniest Home Video. But that's the only thing I can't do, so I'm happy with that.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Jen,
      Best of luck for tomorrow. Hope you get the all clear. Happy Anniversary!
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Jennifer--Happy Anniversary! You are doing so well and have been such an encouragement to me on here since I was just a few weeks behind you. Thanks for all of your help! I hope your next year will continue to be even better! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post
          I wondered what your flexibility is like after this surgery? I was told today that I will be fused from T2 to sacrum, so I wondered as I love to do yoga, whether I'll ever be able to do that again. Will I ever be able to sit in "Easy Pose" again, meditation pose (if you know what I mean)? Will I ever be able to do any of the yoga moves again? I know the doctor said I will definitely be able to swim which is great, because I love to do that, so at least I have that if nothing else

Also, anything else that you may think is good for me to know, please tell me tell me - okay? Thank you
          Lynette,
          I was wondering how you answer this question yourself, now that you are fused? Are you regaining flexibility? Dr. Bridwell just recommended T2 or T3 to sacrum for me.
          Thanks!
          Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Good question Evelyn, though it's still early days for Lynnette. I'd be interested to know as well.

Janet, I'm sorry I didn't reply to you back in March, I just saw your post! The good news is since the time of writing, I can now trim my toenails. So things just keep improving, long after you think you've reached the end of the recovery road.

"I hope your next year will continue to be even better!" Ditto to you too Janet. We'll have to have another chat next March.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

If you notice on my later threads my doctor changed his mind about my fusion and now I'm fused from T9 to the sacrum. My flexibility is better now than it was right after surgery. I can now get things off the floor without my grabber -though not too easily. I haven't done any yoga yet because I had femoral nerve issues, and though my leg is much better now, it hurts if I try to sit back on my heels from a kneeling position, so I can't do that yet. But at least now I'm walking fine and can climb stairs normally again.
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Lynette:

My fusion is also at T9, but like Rich, my doctor chose to go only to L5 to attempt to save some mobility. He did not feel I had enough degeneration at this time to warrent fusing the sacrum.

I am about where you are now too in my flexability. I can now pick up things off the floor. I am now making my self do it more and not relying on my kids as much to help pick up. I am also doing leg squats to strengthen my leg muscles, this helps with lifting and getting up and down to pick up things.

The only thing that I still really rely on my grabber for is getting clothes out of the drying, bending over and in does not work so well.

As we had our surgeries so close, sounds like we are on the right track. My doctor said that my fusion is not complete and should not be, expects to see it as six months.

I was told to do core strengthening and muscle stretching and toning. I guess we have to just be patient and slowly that range of motion and flexability will come back.

Like so many others, I had lost so much range of motion and there was so little that I could do pre surgery, anything I get will be a blessing. I just want to be able to ride bicycles and play in the pool with my kids and walk and work out again. If housework has to suffer so be it .

Keep up the good work. Lets keep posted on our progress!

Melissa

Surgery March 31,2010
                T9-L5
                Pre Op- 60 Degree Lumbar
                Post Op - 20 Degree Lumbar

Comment

Originally posted by TexEx View Post

I was told to do core strengthening and muscle stretching and toning. I guess we have to just be patient and slowly that range of motion and flexability will come back.
                  HOW?

I'm very concerned abt core strengthening, stretching and toning. (Would have just asked "how?" but site requires >10 characters ).
                  Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                  Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                  main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                  Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

My sister is a Physical Therapist. She gave me very simple core exercises. There are about 4 or 5 such as lying down and pressing your lower back to the bed, an excersice called "the bridge" where you tighter your abs and lift your lower back off the bed for 5 seconds. She also gave me some back and leg muscle stetching excersices to do.

Please do not try any of these without the instruction of a licensed PT. But there are basic exercises to begin to strenthen these muscles as we start our recovery. I also first checked with my Doctor at my 3 month follow to make sure that it was okay to begin to do this.

Melissa

Comment

Please note my scoliosis nurse/surgeon said never to do bridging. At least not while the fusion was taking place. I don't know if it's alright to after that first year or so. That was their main concern with going to PT.

Here is a link to a post from quite awhile ago, where I wrote out and attached some of the core strengthening exercises my physical therapist had given me. Please note the caveat at the beginning though-- I had been through about 5 months of arm and leg strengthening first, and was almost 1 year post op when I started these. I am not fused to the sacrum, but mine is still a long fusion - T2-L4.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...7&postcount=14

Best wishes to all of you.
                      Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-06-2010, 11:56 AM.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Those are GREAT, Susie Bee. At first I was disappointed that it didn't include pictures, then I realize you'd written them out yourself.

MANY thanks.

You are confirming what I expected, that until fusion is assured, one really can't/shouldn't do core strengthening exercises. I think that pretty much anything one does, regardless of the position, risks bending the fusing spine if the muscles are tensing up - even isometrics. There's just that much bending applied on the spine.

How could it be otherwise?
                        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Jennifer--No problem. Maybe in a month I can do my toe-nails too--I'm about a month behind you. I did in fact sort of do them again last night but it sort of looks like someone gnawed them off. I hope to improve. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I guess all Doctors are different, but my doctor emphatically says to "let your body be your guide". At this point your body will tell you what you can't do before you will injure the fusion. I am allowed to do anything I feel like doing with the exception of "jarring" or twisting activiites, such as horseback riding, white water rafteing ( I am going to Colorada so I asked about those specifically).

He told me I can bicycle ride, swim, the PT, eliptycle machine at gym, etc. I even asked about lifting and he said I can lift as much weight as I can until "I feel it in my back". Naturally, I am still quite carefull. My lifting I would say is still in the 10 pound range.

Basically, I feel that the Doctor's orders and common sense will be my best progress and we all have to do what our doctor requires for our best recovery.

Melissa
                            Surgery-March 31, 2021
                            T9-L5
                            Pre Op Lumbar 60 Degree Curve
                            Post Op Lumbar 20 Degree Curve

Comment

Melissa-- it could also have a whole lot to do with the length of our fusions... mine goes almost to my neck (15 levels), so the stress of bridging would be immense. This thread was originally about T2-sacrum, so that is what was on my mind when I posted. BTW, your signature says your surgery was in 2021... (at least I think that's what I just read, although I did just get up and maybe my eyes aren't working right yet!!!)
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Susie*Bee

You are absolutely right! That teaches me to post pre-cafeine. My surgery was 2010.

I agree that there is probably a big difference in doctors' orders based on length of fusion. Mine was only lumbar. That is why I hope that everyone is very careful as they read these threads to make sure that they are looking to make sure that they relate to thier type of surgery.

I have caught myself reading then realizing that the individual had thoracic fusion and would not necessarily have the same issues as I do.

You made a very important point everyone should note.

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X