The Book! eeeK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Book! eeeK

This is for all your ladies and gents that are about to undergo your operation..I remember reading on here about people bragging about the "Scoliosis Surgery" written by someone that had under gone..Well I went out and purchased it spent the whole day reading it and I swear I think it did worse damage for me..I had to end up having my anxiety meds up because I wasn't sleeping and having horrible panic attacks.. Anyways if there is anyone who is interested in this book I would love to just give it to you and get it out of my sight. I guess I just dont want to know in details what they are going to do to me..Now that I am on the otherside I'm ok lol .. But if you are scared and want to know details about what they do this is the book for you..Seriously let me know I will ship it out ASAP. Otherwise I throwing it to goodwill But I would rather see someone on here that is about to have surgery find some good use =) I hope I didnt scare anyone lol

xox megz

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Can't comment yet, haven't finished it!
    Stay tuned.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

omg let me know how you liked it..What do you think so far?!

27 year old female
      Upper Curve 110 degrees
      Lower Curve 90 degrees
      Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

The book...

I guess everyone has their own perspectives on these things, but I LOVED the book. I want to know as much as I can about what they are going to do to me....heck, if I can get someone in the OR take a picture of my back all opened up so I can see exactly what it looks like with all the rods and screws in there, I'd love it! Guess that's why I'm a geek...I love to know the details and understand everything as much as I can. It makes me feel better to know, and see, what it really looks like.

If you want a lot of detailed info in layman's terms, its a great book. If you'd rather now know the details, as megz says, stay far away from the book.
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
        A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
        Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
        Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

MegZ, I agree, and I think I'd rather read something interesting and relaxing than scare myself with the gory details. I trust that my surgeon, Dr. Lonner, knows what he is doing. I've been hesitant to get the book, and now I know why. Best, Joy

Comment

Nitram - I'm a lot like you. I have to know every detail of what they are doing to me, I've even watched real surgeries of fusions on the internet. For some reason when I know what's going to happen I feel better, just because I'm aware. I know everyone is different, and can totally understand why some people would prefer not to know. I'm just a massive researcher when it comes to anything I'm going to do or anything that happens to me. When I first got pregnant years ago, I think I read every single pregnancy book on the market . Anyway I thought that the book "Scoliosis Surgery" was excellent by David Wolpert, but only for people who really want to know every single detail about the surgery and what happens to you in the hospital pre-op and post-op etc.
            Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
            Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
            Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
            Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitram View Post
              I guess everyone has their own perspectives on these things, but I LOVED the book. I want to know as much as I can about what they are going to do to me....heck, if I can get someone in the OR take a picture of my back all opened up so I can see exactly what it looks like with all the rods and screws in there, I'd love it!
              I did have mine photographed ... and am SO glad I did. Like you, I wanted the details.
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                I did have mine photographed ... and am SO glad I did. Like you, I wanted the details.
                do you actually have the pictures to view?! It would be neat to see since its now done and over with.

27 year old female
                Upper Curve 110 degrees
                Lower Curve 90 degrees
                Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by megz View Post
                  do you actually have the pictures to view?! It would be neat to see since its now done and over with.
                  Yes ... email me (in my sig) for the password.
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Yes ... email me (in my sig) for the password.
                    emailed =)

27 year old female
                    Upper Curve 110 degrees
                    Lower Curve 90 degrees
                    Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Nice! Did it help you to see it afterward to know what was in there?

I haven't talked to the surgeon yet about the pics...but I intend to next week. I'm really hoping he'll have someone do it. I have a list of questions to email him...need to make sure that's on the list.

Comment

I'm a control freak, so I do better knowing what is ahead. I studied those 2 books like crazy.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

could someone name the author of the book written by a patient...i've only read the ones written by scoli surgeons..?

wow...you guys must have really strong stomachs! i wouldnt be able to see pix of anybody opened up like that...even without blood (?) i would just about faint! most times i want to know exactly what is going to be done to me...but the scoli surgery...i would want general, and only general details...til afterwards...then i might want specific details...i think if they gave me the specifics ahead of time...i would faint first, wake up, and say "See 'ya later!!".... I cant even watch when the vet has to do anything to my little puppy!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                            could someone name the author of the book written by a patient...i've only read the ones written by scoli surgeons..?

wow...you guys must have really strong stomachs! i wouldnt be able to see pix of anybody opened up like that...even without blood (?) i would just about faint! most times i want to know exactly what is going to be done to me...but the scoli surgery...i would want general, and only general details...til afterwards...then i might want specific details...i think if they gave me the specifics ahead of time...i would faint first, wake up, and say "See 'ya later!!".... I cant even watch when the vet has to do anything to my little puppy!

jess
                            David Wolpert wrote the book I read named "Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient Reference""....he had the surgery himself and wrote the book for others going through it.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

jess
                              I also read The Scoliosis Sourcebook, by my surgeon. I read and re-read both these books prior to surgery. They helped give me a sense of peace--for me, knowledge does that.

http://www.amazon.com/Scoliosis-Sour.../dp/0737303212

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X