Bracing after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracing after surgery?

My 15 year old son was diagnosed within this past year with 3 curves, 2 of which were over 40 degrees. He also has rotation and complains of a lot of back pain. We went for a follow up last week and his curves have increased 6-10 degrees in the past 5 months along with a 35% increase in rotation. Surgery has been scheduled for June 23. He was fitted with a brace when this all began but was unable to wear it due to his pain increasing. We were just told by a prosthetic Dr (not the usual one he has seen) that he will need to wear a brace after surgery. Is this common? The prosthetic Dr seemed quite upset that my son hasn't worn his brace. His orthpodeist is aware that he couldn't wear his brace and it has never been an issue. It seems like we get a lot of conflicting information.

Hi...

Did you get sent to the new orthotist by your son's orthopaedist? There are occasions where kids need to be braced after surgery, but I think they're relatively rare.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

It was the office he usually goes to but we saw someone different for whatever reason. I just felt it was more of a scare tactic to try to get Nate to wear a brace now rather than based on his orthopedist's recommendations. I should have asked at the visit but truthfully I knew Nate was angry at his comments and felt it best to cut it short.

Comment

Working...
      X