Age at time of surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age at time of surgery

I would love to know at what age everyone had their surgeries. And how long of a recovery time did you have?
    I am 30 with surgery to be coming soon.

I am 46 years young.... Ha! And, surgery in a week....Yikes!!!!!!
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Hi there! I was 34 when I had my fusion. I was out of work for 12 weeks, but felt human again after about 8 weeks. I started feeling "myself" again about 6 months out. It was a long ride, but worth it and would do it again in heart beat! Good luck with your sugery!!

Lynn
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I had the surgery when I was 26. I started back to school at 3 months post-op. It was very difficult going back that soon. I could have used another month to recover. I remember thinking in January that I felt pretty much almost fully recovered (I had my surgery in May).

Shell
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees
        December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2
        Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Hey Jenny,I had my surgery in Aug.2009 and I was 43.I am still recovering but it is getting better.I still wear a brace but this week I get to start weening myself.I am glad I had the surgery.My hip and leg pain is gone.I am just trying to get used to doing things different since I am fused to pelvis.Good luck with your surgery.I hope you have a good outcome.
          Sheri
          Aug.17,09 Anterior
          Aug.20,09 Posterior
          Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
          Cedars-Sinai
          Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
          Husband married 30 years
          3 kids 29,28,25
          4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

I am am 28 and was fused T3-L4 one month ago

I am lovin it too
            45L/40T
            Surgery 25/1/2010
            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Hi...

I was 42 at the time of my surgery, and had a very long recovery.

I've come to believe that age has little to do with recovery. I routinely see 70 and 80 year old patients who have scoliosis fusions, who recover as quickly as teenagers. I think it's more an issue of how fit one is at the time of surgery.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was 52 and had a long recovery. I started part-time office work a year after surgery but still felt pretty delicate; I made a ton of progress between 18 months and 2 years post-op. I was extremely fit going into surgery and sailed through the actual operation, but I had some nerve damage from the anterior incision which took a long time to resolve.
                Last edited by Singer; 02-21-2010, 07:33 AM.
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I was 56. Other than being a little "plump" I was pretty healthy and am strong. I had a long recovery-- although my surgeon said I was doing great. I think a lot of factors come into play for length of recovery... length of fusion, "extras" that are done during surgery, osteopoenia, arthritis, DDD, etc. If that is part of what one considers "fit", then that is a part you have no control over. I just know that the surgery left me extremely weak and I worked very hard with PT (both there -- as in formal PT, at 6 months post-op and again at 11 months post-op, and doing the routine on my own) for a long time to build endurance/stamina so I could return to work. But I don't have a desk job. My arms and legs became very weak from the surgery-- and I tired soooo easily. I'm good to go now-- although I prefer a quiet evening at home after a day's work.

I will venture to say that in general, younger people without other problems recover quicker than older people. And people whose fusions aren't as long also recover quicker. There are exceptions to everything, of course.
                  Last edited by Susie*Bee; 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by JennyRN View Post
                    I would love to know at what age everyone had their surgeries. And how long of a recovery time did you have?
                    I am 30 with surgery to be coming soon.
                    I was 46; had PT starting at 8 weeks for 3 months, started exercising at 5 months, went back to work at 8 months. Going back to work whooped my butt at first; I'd come home and take a nap every day. I feel pretty much like my old self (but without the pain now) and I'm at 16 months.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I had surgery at 39 ... and was back playing softball at 7 months.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how much the length of the fusion - and the approach - can affect recovery time. It's not a given, but A/P patients generally take more time to recoup.

Mine was a relatively short segment fusion (T4-L1), and it was done posterior only. It's just impossible to comparemine to SusieBee's or Singer's.

Also, I often wonder is people with extreme corrections aren't more prone to challenges - especially in early recovery. Using Singer's case again (sorry Chris! ;-), going from 70° to 12° is huge: I think the amount of adjustment your body goes through can't be underestimated.

Regards,
                      Pam
                      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

im 27 and was fused from T2-Pelvic..I had surgery Jan 11 and Jan 14 of this year..I can feel and improvement every week that goes by. =) Good luck!

27 year old female
                        Upper Curve 110 degrees
                        Lower Curve 90 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
                        Fused T2-Pelvis
                        Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

I was 48 when I had my orig surgery and I feel like I haven't stopped recovering. But then I wasn't as lucky and had some complications. Going in again in less than a month for a revision. I went back to work at 5 months. My curve was a large curve too and my approach was A/P and had a long fusion T4 to sacrum. I too feel that the younger people seem to recover like lightning!
                          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

OK, I'm the old one here. I had my surgery at age 67. It was a tough recovery for me, but I guess it is for everyone. I was in good physical condition before surgery except that I came down with a very nasty cold 5 weeks before my surgery so I wasn't able to go to the pool to keep up with my water therapy. I probably could have gone back to work part time at 4 or 5 months post-op but thank God I was already retired. I was able to go back to roller-skating at 11 months post-op.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I was 57, almost 58. I went into surgery very fit. I was fused T4-pelvis. I felt good at 3 months and at 6 months went to Malaysia on a swimming/snorkelling/trekking holiday. I kept my bag at 10 kilos. I'm almost one year and life is back to normal and I'm pain free. I know I've been lucky, I can't believe my good luck, I pinch myself daily to ensure I'm not dreaming. I just hope my luck doesn't run out.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X