No announcement yet.

Age at time of surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that really scares me! i cant get fit...too much pain every day! i quit the gym, cause i was paying & couldnt exercise anymore! it was a waste of money! before i hernited discs, i went 3-4 times a week!

if recovery depends on how fit one is at the time of surgery, then i would/will be in big trouble!!

i am seeing nyc surgeon march 15th....

jess

Comment

Jess- please don't worry about that. You WILL get through it fine. There's enough stress without thinking about things that are beyond our control. As far as I know, there has not been any research showing a correlation and this is just what some people are thinking. There are SO many factors involved in recovery. Take a few deep breaths and don't let this worry you.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I had my surgery T2-pelvis when I was 57--almost a year now. I did do lots of exercise before and have gradually added on lots more in last few months. Everyone is so different it really is hard to compare. Pam's idea about amount of correction may be very true. I always think I'm way slower than others but it was a big correction from 98 down to 35?-- I've already forgotten and the bottom one was basically to zero--that's a lot of change. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          that really scares me! i cant get fit...too much pain every day! i quit the gym, cause i was paying & couldnt exercise anymore! it was a waste of money! before i hernited discs, i went 3-4 times a week!

if recovery depends on how fit one is at the time of surgery, then i would/will be in big trouble!!

i am seeing nyc surgeon march 15th....

jess
          Jess,

Physical therapy can do wonders to help you get back on your feet after surgery, no matter what your physical condition. It will be your own grit and determination that will get you there. Can you at least sit and use hand weights to strengthen your arms? You will need your arms to help you to log roll to get out of bed. After 5 weeks of having a bad cold and not going to the pool, I was pretty weak by the time I had my surgery, but I just kept remembering that muscles have memory and I did just fine.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I had my surgery on my 43 Birthday! T3 to L4 I went back to work at 10 1/2 months post op and at a year thought that was as good as it would get. Im happy to say at 2 years post op I could not beleave the improvement.
            Patty 51 years old
            Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
            Posterior T3- L4
            Pre surgery curves
            T-53degrees
            L-38degrees
            and a severe side shift to the right.
            Post surgery curves
            Less than 10 degrees
            Surgery April, 2006
            C4 - C6

Comment

Jess

I had 4 herniated discs back in 2002, and had that crippling sciatica. I know what you mean about trying to exercise while the pain levels are brutal. Its almost impossible. I don’t blame you for quitting the gym.

You have had your share of pain. It just gets to the point where the decision making scale slams down, and you do what you have to do. I too waited a long time, (34 years) and eventually had to make that decision. Yes, its very scary, but with the amount of pain your in, the odds are, that you will greatly benefit from surgery.

Like Sally says, It will be your own grit and determination. I would lay out the facts to your surgeon, and see what he says.
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I was 49 when I had my surgeries. I did have a long recovery, and was due to the serious nature of my condition. I had stacked corpectomys done on my whole lower spine, which required removal of vertebrae, and custom fitted grafting through my diseased vertrebral bodies. Dr Menmuir pretty much did a total rebuild of my lower spine piece by piece from the front, and put the zig saw puzzle back together. It was a whole lot more than just screws and that’s why he told me that I was going to have to be tough. It was going to be brutal. Its also the reason why I took it so easy with my recovery, and delayed PT for 9 months, and delayed my shoulder surgery. I had many many pieces of bone and graft that had to heal. I needed to know that all the pieces fused.

After many meetings over 2 years, I convinced him I could do it. It wasn’t about if he could do it, it was about me, I was going to have to fight. It was my determination that pulled me through. I was scared to death, and still had to be very strong at the same time. It was not a normal scoli surgery, it was a 10, on a 1-10 scale according to him. I was out of time. He saved my life.

It was more about MY attitude, rather that my physical condition.

Can you believe that I shoveled 18 inches of heavy wet snow from 2 driveways this morning. It was probably 30,000# of snow. I wont buy a snowblower as I feel that Im still in physical therapy. I don’t think it will ever end. Im also getting pretty buffed out.

I was barely walking in 2002.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Wow Ed, what an incredible story - you are an inspiration and I felt some inner strength growing inside me just reading your story. Thanks for giving me some drive and determination to get through this!
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

You are one tough Mother Ed
                  45L/40T
                  Surgery 25/1/2010
                  Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I was 59 when I had surgery. The first six weeks were rough and challenging, but then things gradually improved. I returned to work at four months with no problem, but my job does not require me doing anything strenuous or taxing. When I last saw my surgeon in January, he commented that I have done very well clinically.

Comment

Jimbo

Its good to hear you are doing ok.

Im a success story. It worked. It was like popping a very large balloon on tension.

Everyone has specific issues, different pain levels, and different recovery periods.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Lynette

Be sure to let us know what Dr Cronen says. If there is any way to get digital copies of your x-rays burned to disc, now is the time. The digitals are great as you can zoom in and the clarity is best. Just tell him you want copies for yourself.

Just remember that you have the right to "think things over" without committing to a date. Its understandable.
                      Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I'm actually bringing my x-rays with me from Dr. Moreno's office with me to Dr. Cronen's appointment. I've just tried to attach the x-ray on here so hopefully you will be able to see it.
                        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I was 50 years old last June and my surgery is in 2 1/2 weeks. Now I am getting nervous.

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                          X