Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Surgery Pre Op

Hi everyone,

The scoliosis director from the hospital phoned yesterday (she had to leave a message because nobody was home) and asked whether we could go in on Wednesday for a pre op and information about the surgery.

My question is, how long after the pre op is surgery? I have not yet recieved a date for my surgery so I was just wondering when you would estimate that it would be.

Also what happens at a pre op?

Thanks so much!
    Sarah
    Australian
    15 years old
    Spine Fused - 06/04/10
    Was: 55 degrees
    Now: About 0 degrees

Hi Sarah...

You need to call your surgeon's office on Monday morning. Preop appointments are usually within a week of surgery.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

The pre-op was two days before surgery for one kid and I think the day before with the other. Can't quite recall for the second kid but I think it's that.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Things they do during pre-op might include more x-rays, blood work, a consult with an anesthesiologist/nurse to discuss any allergies/past drug reactions, height, weight, medical history. It's just basic stuff ... none of it's scary.

I couldn't remember exactly when I did my pre-op, so I had to search on here (I was 100% certain I posted it: I was posting *everything* back then - LOL)

My pre-op for a 2/5/2008 surgery was on 01/17/2008 ... roughly 2-1/2 weeks before surgery.

I know I had tons of crap left to do at the 2-1/2 week countdown (to say I was a freakin' maniac would be a huge understatement): It seems vaguely familiar I wanted to slipstream things and lump the whole pre-op thing (anesthesia consult, etc.) into one day that coincided with my autologous blood donation (which happens 10-30 days prior, usually)

Like Linda said, ask your doctor.

Hope you're close to getting a date so you can move on, kiddo!

Hang in there,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

My preop was a full month before.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

my preop is ten days before my surgery
            my preop on march 9 2010 and my surgery on march 19 2010
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

I went to the hospital today and had my preop.
              I found out that I am having surgery either on the 12th or the 16th of March soooo soon! we did not expect it to be this early!
              Sarah
              Australian
              15 years old
              Spine Fused - 06/04/10

Comment

Where are you having your surgery, sariberri? All the very best with it!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm having my surgery at the Royal Children's Hospital
                  Sarah
                  Australian
                  15 years old
                  Spine Fused - 06/04/10

Comment

Excellent! Let us know your date when it's firm, won't you? it's nervewracking this lead-up time, so we'll be thinking of you. Glad you don't have long to wait...soon you'll be on your way to recovery.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hello Sarah, I'm Katlin and I'm 16 years old. I just had a spinal fusion (52 degree T11-L3 curve) on February 9th! I had my pre op was less the a week before my surgery. I had to stay in the hospital for 6 days. Unfortunately on the 5th day I threw up the liquid meds they were giving me because I couldn't handle the taste anymore ):

But there isn't any reason to be scared at all! The morning of I'm sure you'll be really nervous but they give you something to calm your nerves (:
                      Plus think of the positives! I grew 1 whole inch with my curve and I'm sure you will too since its almost the same degree! and you get slimmer! Its like you worked out but you didn't!

Comment

Hi Katlin!
                        How are you feeling now? Are you missing school and seeing your friends?
                        Do you have any advice about the surgery?
                        Thanks
                        Sarah
                        Australian
                        15 years old
                        Spine Fused - 06/04/10

Comment

Im going ok. There are days when my back gets really stiff and day where I can go a full day with not taking a lot of pain meds. I do miss going to school to see my friends but I really do like the break from all the drama!

There isn't really any surgery advice I could give you. I mean for you all you have to do is fall asleep, for your parents they have to wait!
                          But when it comes time to sit up and start waking around (for me that was the day after my surgery), don't be scared. All your going to feel is stiffness! The nurses will make sure your meds are working the way they should before they try to move you
                          Other than that you're going to be just fine! I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out and I started feeling more like myself 1 week out! So don't be nervous! (:

-Katlin

Comment

hey,
                            im 12 and having surgery on december 13th. my pre-op was just moved to the 8th. i have a question for you, is your preop and surgery day scary or just in general nerve racking? im getting pretty scared and unhappy about it. my friend is having it on the 1st of that month and she had exactly the same question.

Comment

Hi,

Surgery day is both nerve-wracking and scary, and that is part of what the pre-op is for. About a week before my oldest son's surgery we went on a tour of the hospital and they walked us through all the steps we would be taking on surgery day. They showed us where we would check in, where the operating room and parents waiting room was and also showed us what the recovery rooms looked like. We also got to see everything my son would be hooked up to and the nurse explained what everything was and what it was for. That really helped us a lot to know what to expect beforehand, it made it a little less scary. I also have a 12 y.o. son who had an appt. yesterday and we found out he will need to have surgery also very soon.
                              Good luck to you, many people here wishing you all the best :^)

Renee

Comment

Working...
                              X