I got a cancellation!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a cancellation!!!!!

Well, guess what? All your encouragement paid off. I was offered and accepted today a cancellation with Dr. Lenke. My husband and I leave on Tues for my preop on Wed. Sounds like Wed they have my day planned for me, MRI, CT scan, myelogram, lab, etc. and Friday I get my central line. Surgery planned for Mar 1st bright and early. Sounds like Dr. Lenke has devoted the day to me not knowing exactly how long it's going to take for sure. I THINK I'm excited! I couldn't see me waiting until July for sure, but now that I know I'm leaving Tues I have to tell you I"M NERVOUS!!!!! HELP!!!!!
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Rita! Wow...I just responded to your post on another thread and asked questions before I saw this...Yes! I am there next Wednesday as well! Will stay at Parkview Tues night. Let's try to find each other and compare notes!!! Congrats on getting yours moved up! We are "bookends"...you start out the month of March on March 1st, and I end up the month with March 31st!!!
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Hey Rita !
      I am so excited to hear your getting your surgery soon and you know what remember how me and you were talking about how much pain we suffer with alot after a long day well all the pain that is all in your back will be gone I am very sorry that you are nervous but I can tell you this Its scary all going into this all at once and the bright side of this is when you get healed just think of all the things you will be able to do afterwords that you couldnt do before ! yay! I hope your surgery will be great ! and one huge thing stressing over the surgery makes you afraid to face it and sometimes makes you feel alone and like me I have bad dreams of it and it makes me afraid what will help me in my life and I want to tell you , dont let the stress over come you think always of the bright side and the best part think of all of your family sitting by your side the whole way cheering you on! horray!! GO RITA! oh hey another thing have you gotten your cat scan yet? if notI hope that everything will go awsome!!!
      [COLOR="Cyan"]59 degree curve birth
      110 degree curve now
      Sydnie SueAnn ^.^ Always open to help xo

Comment

Wow Rita! That is fantastic. By the time July arrives, you will be doing great, rather than still sitting nervously waiting!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

The Olympics

To all scoliotic olympians;

Remember, "calm blue ocean" .... breathe.....breathe deep. Think about your goals.

Like Lindsey Vonn at the gate. You are going for the gold medal just like she did. Her face was just sheer determination at that gate. She overrode her terror, with sheer determination, she wanted it, and she won gold, and with an injured right shin on brutal rough icy conditions. She would have won with both legs broken.

This is the attitude I used going in.

Now go get that gold medal. I did.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thats fantastic news Rita. The caterpillar stage is coming to an end and soon the transformation into the butterfly will be complete. Best wishes.
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
              Well, guess what? All your encouragement paid off. I was offered and accepted today a cancellation with Dr. Lenke. My husband and I leave on Tues for my preop on Wed. Sounds like Wed they have my day planned for me, MRI, CT scan, myelogram, lab, etc. and Friday I get my central line. Surgery planned for Mar 1st bright and early. Sounds like Dr. Lenke has devoted the day to me not knowing exactly how long it's going to take for sure. I THINK I'm excited! I couldn't see me waiting until July for sure, but now that I know I'm leaving Tues I have to tell you I"M NERVOUS!!!!! HELP!!!!!
              Good for you Rita!! Maybe it's better that it's coming so quick. It'll be over and done with before you know it! Now is the time to get yourself all prepared.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks guys. You have no idea how much that means to me! All you guys with your encouragement has been the reason I have made it through this - you and my husband and son are true ANGELS!

No, I haven't had my CT scan yet. And, get this, I think I have to have another MRI. Oh brother! I don't care I guess. Just didn't want to sit on that hard table again.

Radiogirl, where are you coming from? We'll be leaving first thing Tues morning and probably be staying at Parkview, also. Sure thing - we'll find each other somehow. It will be soooooo nice to meet you face to face.

Thanks guys. More later.
                Rita Thompson
                Age 46

Comment

That IS happy news!!

As dopey as this sounds. . .try to enjoy the area around Barnes some during your "off" time. . .and there's lots of good food that your husband can "carry out" when you can eat (and keep himself well fed - he'll need his strength, too).

I like the "go for the gold!" mantra. Before you know it, you'll be waking up post-op, and then a new phase begins!!!
                  Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                  Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                  Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Hi Rita!

My mother was on my laptop in my other bed reading your post to me and I felt like I had to reply and give you some advice!
                    I had my surgery febuary 9th so I remember how nervous I was two weeks until surgery. It's going to be nerve racking for sure! My parents and I were nervous until after it was all over.
                    Your lucky you don't have to wait months knowing your going to have surgery though! Trust me that makes it more nerve racking!

The surgery isn't something you should be worried about. All you have to do is fall asleep! (: and your surgeons know what they are doing. I'll give you my word on this, when they put you to sleep it feels like 5 mins later your awake and it's all over! Then you get to sleep knowing it's all over and your spine is better than ever!

Remember not to worry to much! I'll be praying for you to have a succesful recovery (:

-Katlin

Comment

That's fabulous news, Rita. I think there is something to be said for not having that long, long wait time to agonize over things. In some ways, that pre-op anxiety is the worst part of all of this--I was glad I only had about a month of it. Hope you and Radio Girl can meet up--that's so cool. Best wishes for a wonderful new back!!

Anne in PA
                      Age 58
                      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                      T4 to sacrum fusion
                      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Rita--As I said on the other thread this is really exciting. I agree with others that now you don't have extra time to stew about it! Also just remembered the wonderful places on The Hill not far away to eat. It's the Italian area that anyone could direct you to and for appts. and pre-surgery we ate at several. Go before when you are still wanting to eat! Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks so much you guys!!! You are the absolute best!!!!!! I'm planning on checking out some of the area restaurants for sure! I'm loking forward to meeting Radiogirl - boy the stories we can swap!!! Ha! I only hope I survive until the 1st now. I spen t the day today running here, there, picking up this and that and now tonight I can't even hardly talk without dying in pain. What's up with that? Man - is this part of it? Never had that problem before? My husband says it will be quieter around the house tonight... Ha! He's the worlds best hubby!!! He cooks, cleans and takes care of me - hope he doesn't have to be paid for that!!! Hahaha!
                          Anyways - thanks again!!! I will be sure to have my hubb y post as soon as he can and let you know how things go. I'm in tons of pain, horrible, so I'm hoping that will be over with soon.
                          Rita Thompson
                          Age 46

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
                            ... I spen t the day today running here, there, picking up this and that and now tonight I can't even hardly talk without dying in pain. What's up with that? Man - is this part of it? Never had that problem before?
                            Extreme pain (or maybe just finally acknowledging how bad the pain IS) is a strange phenomenon before surgery. Usually, pain becomes unbearable shortly after surgery is scheduled; maybe having to wait until July mentally put your reaction on hold.

I know changing from July to, um ... *now* is stressful (in a good/bad way), but keep in mind what I said before: There just isn't anything critical enough in your pre-op that'll throw a wrench in your post-op.

Of course, you'll stay madly busy until your date ... but don't let worries of things you don't get to make you crazy.

Hugs,
                            Pam
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                              Extreme pain (or maybe just finally acknowledging how bad the pain IS) is a strange phenomenon before surgery. Usually, pain becomes unbearable shortly after surgery is scheduled; maybe having to wait until July mentally put your reaction on hold.

I know changing from July to, um ... *now* is stressful (in a good/bad way), but keep in mind what I said before: There just isn't anything critical enough in your pre-op that'll throw a wrench in your post-op.

Of course, you'll stay madly busy until your date ... but don't let worries of things you don't get to make you crazy.

Hugs,
                              Pam
                              You know that happened to me too, now that I think about it--I was scheduled for October, and in late August my lower back became so unbearable for a while that I could hardly lift my leg to get into the car. We were away for a weekend doing touristy things: shopping, visiting museums, hiking, and by the end of the weekend I was a mess. It totally convinced me that I was doing the right thing.

You'll be fine Rita. You will be in our thoughts.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X