Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery help back pain?

Hi all,
    I'd like to thank you guys for all the good information. I'm due to have surgery on March 22nd. I have alot of back pain right now. So much so that by the time I'm done with work I have to lie down. My question is this: Is your back pain significantly reduced with this surgery? I have an s curve and their going to put the rod the whole length of my spine along with taking bone from my hip for fusion. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot...

Originally posted by domkam View Post
    Hi all,
    I'd like to thank you guys for all the good information. I'm due to have surgery on March 22nd. I have alot of back pain right now. So much so that by the time I'm done with work I have to lie down. My question is this: Is your back pain significantly reduced with this surgery? I have an s curve and their going to put the rod the whole length of my spine along with taking bone from my hip for fusion. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot...
    Hi...

What you're describing is pretty much what many of us have had as far as surgery. As I'm sure your surgeon told you, there are no guarantees as far as pain reduction, but I've met very few people who didn't have significant pain reduction.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi domcam
      welcome...i hope your surgery goes smoothly & your healing is uneventful & fast...

i didnt see a mention of where you live or what hospital you will be in...?

best of luck
      jess

Comment

All the very best domkam. I am sure you won't regret having the surgery!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi all,
          I can only speak for myself, but all of my presurgical pain is gone, and has been from the time I woke up from surgery.

Good luck to you!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Well from what I can tell right now 16 days after my surgery all of my pre-op pains are now gone.

Only time will tell though.
            45L/40T
            Surgery 25/1/2010
            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
              I can only speak for myself, but all of my presurgical pain is gone, and has been from the time I woke up from surgery.

Good luck to you!
              Ditto from me on this one!
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                Hi domcam
                welcome...i hope your surgery goes smoothly & your healing is uneventful & fast...

i didnt see a mention of where you live or what hospital you will be in...?

best of luck
                jess
                I live in Olympia Washington and my surgery will be at Capital Medical Center...

Comment

I am only 9 days post op and of course am loaded with post-op pain but, my other pain is gone. I can walk for the first time in almost 3 years without any of that leg pain, aching, tingling, etc. So, even this early out, I can tell a difference. Am very encouraged even at this difficult stage in recovery. Welcome to the forum!

Anne in PA
                  Age 58
                  Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                  T4 to sacrum fusion
                  63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                  Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                  Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

... My question is this: Is your back pain significantly reduced with this surgery? ...
                    For me, my worst day now (post-op) is 1000 times better than my *best* pre-op day.

I'm just past 2 years from surgery, but I've been saying the same thing from very early on.

Regards,
                    Pam
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                    X