Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• osteotomy outcomes and risks

Hi all,

Has anyone read RECENT statistics on osteotomy outcomes, complications and risks? The most recent statistics I've read from Dr. LaGrone in a National Scoliosis foundation summary is from 1988. I saw Dr. Glazer in Boston yesterday and he was unable to give me statistics on this. He says that there are so few of us that need this kind of surgery that there are no outcome studies available. (He is just starting to gather personal outcome data).

A previous ortho surgeon told me not to consider an osteotomy because the complications and risks are too high.

Anyone have any facts on this? I see that Sinaed in Ireland is also looking for this kind of information.
    M.

Hi M...

I have links to a bunch of abstracts from flatback papers on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/Flatback.htm

While you won't always find the word OSTEOTOMY in all of the studies, most flatback surgeries include osteotomies.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for that Linda,
      I presume the techniques (osteotomies) for taking apart the old fusions would vary depending on whether they were required for flatback surgery or for further realignment and correction of the coronal plane.The thought of osteotomies being done at T5/T6 worries me a lot more than having them done at Lumbar level.
      Any revision surgery though seems to be a very daunting prospect.
      Sins
      Co founder Scoliosis Support Association Ireland.

Comment

Working...
      X