my first outing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first outing

Well I am been begging to get out of the house so my mom decided to take a ride to a bakery that we used to goto when I was little..I was thrilled nothing like getting outta the house!! I am not walker and crutch free and have been walking on my own. I can even do the stairs myself as well. Not bad. Anys I made it to the car had the pillow for the back support and off we went. Car ride was nice. When we got to the bakery it was CROWDED. So my mom of course guarded me while we walked in when I went over to grab a ticket some husky lady wasn't looking where she was going and was just about to back into me we I screaammed WWWOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!... lol she must have thought I was really crazy or making fun of her. I had my jacket on so you couldn't see I was was wearing my brace. I swear it was like playing a game of dodge ball..I had to dodge every person coming at me! It was crazy. Needless to say when we got home I layed down and took a 3 hr nap..haha what an exhausting day... hahaha that is so weird how I get tuckered out from going to the bakery..slowly does it i suppose.
    Would love to hear from all of you

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Megz!...that is awesome! I am so happy for you feeling well enough to be out and about! That must have felt wonderful! How long post op are you now? What's the hardest thing you CANT do yet that you miss???
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
      How long post op are you now? What's the hardest thing you CANT do yet that you miss???
      I am 4 weeks as of yesterday from my first surgery. Hmmm I would say that hardest thing so far and I can't really accomplish it myself quite yet would be taking a bath. I took one Saturday for the first time ((I had been using the shower before then)) and I found it hard to hold myself up. My body wanted to fall backwards. I'm assuming because my muscle and stuff in my back are weak. I told my OT and she said shes gonna try and look for something to put in the tub so I can lay back and relax..My mom has the jets in her tub so if I lay back I'm lying directly on the jets (ouch!) Thanks for responding =)

27 year old female
      Upper Curve 110 degrees
      Lower Curve 90 degrees
      Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Radiogirl I notice you are in March..What are you getting fused too?

27 year old female
        Upper Curve 110 degrees
        Lower Curve 90 degrees
        Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Megz - I will know more for sure after my preop on Feb 24th, but I think he said T4-L4. That's pretty big, huh??? What was yours? I'm getting nervous and wake up in the middle of the night worrying if I'm making the right decision. I'm not in bad pain now...just my hip and back hurts when I stand for 10 minutes..but not horrific pain. I'm so active, I just worry that I won't be able to be active again. I'm doing this cuz I want to remain active well into my old age. And it's progressing almost 10 degrees per year now. Thanks for being here..it helps to be able to ask questions. You sound like you are doing great now!
          Laura
          62 degrees
          49 yrs. young
          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

I was fused from T2-pelvics..I feel the same way when I went in I wasn't in horrific pain. It only came when I walked a lot I would get a burning pain feeling on the side where my pelvics and ribs would rub together. You are making a smart move. My curves were 110 top and 90 degrees on the bottom. The Dr's warned me if I didn't eventually have this done I would develop heart or lung problems, an risk not getting the best correction I could get. What are your curves. I'd say if they are progressing at 10 degrees a year, you should stick with having this surgery. You don't want the Dr's not to get the best correction possible. What are your curves. The Dr told my mother after my second surgery that he was only able to get it down to 75 degrees but honestly when I went to get the staples out the nurse was amazed and guessed my curve was down to 25 degrees after comparing both xrays. You could see the littlest curve compared to what I had before. When I walk that burning feeling is totally gone. The only pain I'll get it sometimes in the middle of my back but the pain meds kick in and it goes away. I think you will do great for your operation. Just think after the operation you are on your way to feeling better and pain free. I honestly find my self able to breathe a lot better as well. I think being so squished I have more room for my lungs..Don't hesitate to send me any more questions I love being able to help people. I was a nervous wreck up until the day I had my surgery and when they wheeled me In they gave me some magic cocktail and I was just a happy little camper lol.

27 year old female
            Upper Curve 110 degrees
            Lower Curve 90 degrees
            Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Wow Megz - this was great to read. How you felt before surgery is exactly how I feel, not much pain, but a burning feeling after walking about ten minutes on my right lower side, plus my ribs are pushing down on my pelvis, my curves are 45 thoracic, and 85 lumbar, progressing at least one degree every two months. I worry so much about feeling in more pain after surgery than I do right now, however, I realize that this is getting worse, and I don't want a lousy future of pain and little or no chance of correcting this, which is why I have to get this done in the next three months. I'm a nervous wreck, my biggest fear is - that something horrible will go wrong and I won't survive afterwards to take care of my little boys - but I try to shove that negative thought away, and try to think positive only. Hearing everyone's successful stories on here is very very encouraging .
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Hi Megz,

How terrific to see that you are doing so well. I really am jealous, oh to be young!!!! If you are getting any of this snow storm, you must have had a beautiful ride!!! It is pretty.

I am still afraid of people bumping into me, have a fear of falling and I hate lightning now.

I am very happy for you, and keep it up,
                Shari

Comment

Lynette,
                  I'm glad you are realizing that its getting worse and you are going to do something about it..That's exactly how I felt I would walk a mall and think to myself is this what I have to look forward too?! Pain, most days I wouldn't want to do anything or go anywhere because I knew what was expected a bunch of pain at the end of the day. I had so many fears and I felt the same way I thought something horrible would happen in the operating room. That I wouldn't make it..I even asked my doctor how many of his patients died in his care in the operating room..lol he laughed,.. I was terrified..He just looked at me and explain that there is a whole HUGE team of people in the operating room with him. Theres a general surgeon, your doctor, a team of anesthesiologist, a team to monitor your nerves, omg the list goes on, so knowing that helped ease my mind, plus if they notice any changes in anything they are going to fix it immediately. I had a question for everything I was said what if my blood pressure drops, we have a team who watches that they will give you medicine, I was like what if I bleed to much, they have a team for that..Its just ridiculous the amount of people they will have in that room with you. This forum has helped me A LOT before I had my surgery. I've met sooo many nice people on here. They are great!! Seriously if you have anymore concerns or anything please I would love to try to ease your mind!! =)

take care!!
                  Meghan

27 year old female
                  Upper Curve 110 degrees
                  Lower Curve 90 degrees
                  Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Shari,

Haven't gotten the snow yet..Tomorrow around lunch time its supposed to start..they predict only 10-15 but I am excited..I love snow!! I don't particularly going out in it but its beautiful to look at =) How far along are you?! Are you walking on your own?! I have the same fear of falling now that I am walking with out any device. But I take it pretty slow..I should have a one of the canned horn things and press it everytime someone comes to close to me!! HAHAHA lol I think my mom is a litle bit more nervous than me haha cuz she kept telling me to hold on to her. I hope you are feeling well! =)
                    Take Care,
                    Meghan

27 year old female
                    Upper Curve 110 degrees
                    Lower Curve 90 degrees
                    Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Isn't it just awesome gettin out after the surgery megz

I am looking forward to going out again tomorrow and exploring the world with my new spine!
                      45L/40T
                      Surgery 25/1/2010
                      Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I was amazed at how tired and exhausted the simpliest task could be. I took my daughter shopping for a Homecoming dress at about 5 weeks post op. I told her she had about 20 minutes to find something! The walking helps build up your stamina, but it does take a while. It still takes a while to do things...for instance, I have just now put away all the Xmas stuff. I still take lots of breaks when working around the house.
                        I think the best thing I did was go back to work part time. It was tough at first, but it forced me to get out of bed and try and build up my stamina. PT and walking also helps with that. It sounds like you are doing great! You had a much longer and more involved fusion than I and it sounds like you're handling it so well! Keep taking those naps (that helps, too!).
                        Kathy, 43
                        Diagnosed as a teen
                        Boston brace 2 years
                        63 degree lumbar curve
                        Surgery August 26, 2009
                        Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                        now 28 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by megz View Post
                          Shari,

Haven't gotten the snow yet..Tomorrow around lunch time its supposed to start..they predict only 10-15 but I am excited..I love snow!! I don't particularly going out in it but its beautiful to look at =) How far along are you?! Are you walking on your own?! I have the same fear of falling now that I am walking with out any device. But I take it pretty slow..I should have a one of the canned horn things and press it everytime someone comes to close to me!! HAHAHA lol I think my mom is a litle bit more nervous than me haha cuz she kept telling me to hold on to her. I hope you are feeling well! =)
                          Take Care,
                          Meghan
                          Hi Meg,
                          I'm glad you were able to get out of the house for a little while. That is so important. I always took my cane with me when I knew I would be around people, even though I didn't need the cane anymore for walking. Just a safety precaution. The coming snow storm will keep us in for a couple of days. I'm sure glad I am retired and don't have to go out.
                          Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                            The coming snow storm will keep us in for a couple of days. I'm sure glad I am retired and don't have to go out.
                            Sally
                            Did you get all that much?? I think we only got a couple inches..When originally they were telling up 10"!!.

27 year old female
                            Upper Curve 110 degrees
                            Lower Curve 90 degrees
                            Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Meg

Its great to see you doing well! When you go see your Doc, ask him or his assistant if they can "burn" you a disc of your x-rays. They are really neat to have as you can zoom in on them.

When I show people mine, (and I'm not a shy type, LOL) they have no clue at all, and their jaws usually drop to the floor. When they asked what happened, I usually tell them I fell out of bed.....

You watch out for the "huskies" at the bakery.... Its important for them to get at the front of the line....sometimes "feeding frenzy's" are dangerous.

Slow and easy now
                              Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X