Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery to remove hardware

Hi All,

I was fused T2-L1 3 years ago. For the past 6 months, my back pain has been pretty constant. i saw my surgeon (Dr. Boachie at HSS) and he said that I had bursa from the rods. I've been in physical therapy 3 times/week going on 3 weeks and he prescribed it for a month. My therapist is doing ultrasound, electro stim, massage and some exercises.. I feel so much better for about two hours and then as soon as I do something the pain comes back (example- vacuuming). It's not always sharp (sometimes is), but it's just constant on the upper part of my back.. worsens when I'm leaning against the back of a chair or laying on my back.

I should add that I'm in sales, so my job is physical.. walking around the city all day (usually in heels) and carrying a heavy bag. But, good news is that I only do this 3 days/week.

Has anyone had similar problems? Has anyone had hardware removed? Dr. Boachie mentioned this as an option, but wanted to try PT first.

If he told me that my pain would go away, I would absolutely have the surgery. Unfortunately, no one can predict that!

Thanks for any feedback,

Lesly

Probably your appearance is important in your work, but the first thing I would change is those shoes, unless the heels are very low. Also, a shoe with a cushioned surface greatly reduces the force of impact through your spine. Also, you should be using something with wheels to carry that heavy bag.
    Last edited by JulieBW; 02-11-2010, 11:12 AM.
    1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

I hope you use a wheeled bag to carry your stuff and try putting some of those dr. scholl gel things in your shoes.
      avis
      Last edited by theizzard; 02-11-2010, 11:30 AM. Reason: can't spell
      1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
      2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
      2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Try a heating pad for the pain. I also exercise in a heated (90 degrees) pool. You might just need to strengthen your back muscles to stop some of your pain.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies..
          Yes, of course I know that I shouldn't wear heels and I really don't wear them often. I only do when seeing clients, and that probably won't change! But again, I'm only working 3 days/week, and wearing comfortable shoes for most of the time.
          I've been using heat a lot.. PT seems to help short-term, but I still find myself extremely uncomfortable leaning against my back (sitting on a couch against a pillow or even laying in bed). My therapist said that the pockets of fluid (he calls them nodules) were starting to go away, but this morning he said they're back.
          I'm not sure what to do.. I'll see my surgeon again in a couple of weeks and discuss surgery. From what I've heard/read I don't think it's common to have these problems, but I'm going to continue to do what I can to avoid surgery!
          Thanks again for your thoughts.

Lesly

Comment

Dear Lesly,
            I know what you mean - occasionaloly I have to wear shoes in my position at work too and I can feel it in the evenings on those days, too. But, as someone said, appearance means a lot in our work too. And, if we don't have good appearance we don't make money. If we don't make money, we don't have insurance and we all know what won't happen if we don't have insurance.... OMG!
            Rita Thompson
            Age 46
            Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
            Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
            Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
            Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

removing hardware

Removing the hardware has sometimes lead to, even the fused spine, to recurve.
              I had bursas during my healing period. Dr. Boachie mentioned the possibility of "injecting them". Was that discussed with you?
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I'm 100% with Karen on "thumbs down with removing hardware" for this. The situation would have to be extreme (as in a current infection) for me, personally, to even consider it.

Also, over the last month, I've seen a few posts about people who've been told they have "bursas" - as a diagnosis.

I find this confusing because *everyone* has something like 150+ bursas (bursae) in their body: All they are is small fluid filled sacs that basically cushion/lubricate the synovial joints.

Bursitis is the condition that occurs when you have pain caused by the swelling of a bursa. Tennis elbow is a common example. Bursitis can usually be related to overuse, and R.I.C.E. treatment applies (elevation could be tricky ;-). As Karen also mentioned, steroid injections can also be a very effective treatment. I received a few many years ago (for Achilles bursitis), and got really nice results.

That said, as far as I know, there aren't bursae in the spine.

Definitely, I'd ditch heels (at all ... unless you're content to live with this), and I'd think that heat is only aggravating inflammation.

Just my $.02. Good luck to you.
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                  I'm 100% with Karen on "thumbs down with removing hardware" for this. The situation would have to be extreme (as in a current infection) for me, personally, to even consider it.

Also, over the last month, I've seen a few posts about people who've been told they have "bursas" - as a diagnosis.

I find this confusing because *everyone* has something like 150+ bursas (bursae) in their body: All they are is small fluid filled sacs that basically cushion/lubricate the synovial joints.

Bursitis is the condition that occurs when you have pain caused by the swelling of a bursa. Tennis elbow is a common example. Bursitis can usually be related to overuse, and R.I.C.E. treatment applies (elevation could be tricky ;-). As Karen also mentioned, steroid injections can also be a very effective treatment. I received a few many years ago (for Achilles bursitis), and got really nice results.

That said, as far as I know, there aren't bursae in the spine.

Definitely, I'd ditch heels (at all ... unless you're content to live with this), and I'd think that heat is only aggravating inflammation.

Just my $.02. Good luck to you.

Hey Pam,

whatever happened to the internal stitch(es) that were poking out? I remember you said that maybe they'd have to come out to make sure they didn't cause infection.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                    Hey Pam,

whatever happened to the internal stitch(es) that were poking out? I remember you said that maybe they'd have to come out to make sure they didn't cause infection.
                    I haven't even given these much thought, Debbe. Two are still there, but aren't causing an issue.

The one that was *right* on my lumbar attachment area apparently drew back: I could palpate it for the longest time, but it's gone. Don't ask me when it disappeared.

The one between the top of my shoulder blades is resting just under the skin. You can still see a distinct blue dot where it sits.

Ditto with the one that rests at about mid-scapular level.

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Yes, Karen... Dr. Boachie mentioned injections.. but that is only temporary. I didn't want to get one when I was there last (I try to avoid needles!!), but I may try that next time. I just don't see the point if it only works for a few days!?! I can't remember if you said you had them?

Yes, bursa is normal.. but the inflammation is not I guess. I didn't think that I should be using heat either, but I'm just doing as told by my Physical Therapist. He's very good- has 30+ years experience, so I'm trusting him!

What's interesting about the shoes, is that of course when I wear heels, it bothers my back.. but the pain I'm talking about is more to the touch.. it's not the ache that I also feel daily. I can deal with the aches. What I'm having trouble dealing with is not being able to sit with my back against a couch or lay in bed comfortably. It's incredibly frustrating! I just wish there was something that could give me some relief for more than a few hours

Comment

I was under the impression that new bursas formed aroung the hardware(as the bone grew around it) during healing but maybe I was mistaken.
                        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
                          I was under the impression that new bursas formed aroung the hardware(as the bone grew around it) during healing but maybe I was mistaken.
                          I don't think they're technically bursae as much as cysts that develop in "bursa-like clefts" ... and I won't even guess how common they are with scoliosis surgery: Recent posts were actually the first I've heard it described.

This paper that talks about something that sounds quite similar ... juxtafacet cysts.

I'm curious to know the answer. Best of luck to you, Lesly.

Regards,
                          Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

hey lesly
                            so sorry to hear about your pain.....
                            you have my full sympathy!

some people get temporary relief with pain management ....like me...i havent had the surgery...yet...

some people report long term (months to years) relief with pain management...everyone is different...IF your insurance covers it, what would it hurt to consult with a good pain management doctor..?

i realize the best thing is to get rid of the cause...but that is not always possible.....

just a suggestion......

jess

Comment

My bursitis joke

Pam

Do you remember when I posted a while back about this Osteopath that I visited. He adjusted me which was great, and then he had diagnosed me as having "bursitis of the buttocks"?

I went back to work and told everyone that I "broke my ass"

You should have seen some of the looks I got from my co-workers. LMAO
                              It really was worth it.

For good laughs, DO NOT go to a scoliosis trained surgeon.

Lesly
                              Even though I do all sorts of things that would make any Doctor cringe, I don’t think that I would hold up very well having to carrying a heavy bag in heels. LOL Activities like vacuuming and washing cars are not the greatest things for our backs.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X