Home on Tues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home on Tues.

Am going to try this one more time--keep getting booted off when I submit the thread. Anyway, despite being Dr. Lonner's blood loss queen, we're going home tomorrow. I am cleared for walking w/o the walker, have got my brace--somewhat bulky but if it keeps me from the second surgery, hell, I'll wear it on the outside! I actually have some appetite, pain at least during the day is under control. Have been up all day in a chair for the last 3 days, but once I get into that hospital bed, there's all kinds of wicked pain going on. Gotta keep track of those pain meds--can't count on staff to do it. My husband, who is a candidate for sainthood, is on his way home on the train, going to get his car and one of my girlfriends and then they'll come back to NY tonight in the car, pack me with pillows and drugs and try to beat the snowstorm home!
    My room has been right off the nurse's station--been some really entertaining things going on--horrible patient and horrible staff behavior at times. Not easy for anyone whether you're the patient or the caregiver, but some people really need to get a grip and have a little consideration for the other person. Been an interesting education in how we treat each other.
    Anyway, my cheers go out to all of you whether you're in pre-op anxiety or recovery--my life certainly switched sides in a week. Really looking forward to getting home, seeing my "fur children" and all of the snow!

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Anne,

Have a safe trip .

Please let us know when you get home

MElissa

Comment

so glad u r on your way back home. Doing this via phone. 30 inches of snow here in No. Va. 10 more tomorrow. had to hike to a friend's house for heat for 2 days but my back made it through waist high snow. be safe on your drive home. Sounds like you're doing great!
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

How exciting for you Anne! I hope the snow holds off for the drive. And yes, some of our partners are candidates for sainthood. I think for my partner and me, it has brought us closer. I'd always been so independent before so it was a lesson to me too. I've seen it written that this surgery can be life-changing and I tend to agree.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I can relate to being placed right next to the nurses station. Very surprising that they are so loud about certain things. I used to scream at them to shut my door because they would always leave it open!

Your recovery seems to be coming along very nicely.

Jim
          45L/40T
          Surgery 25/1/2010
          Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Hey Anne
            Congratulations...what a recovery journey! how terrific that you are healing so well! i told Sparky how well you are doing now, & he sends you happy woofs!

good to know dr lonner is as talented as we susupected all along!! i know he couldnt know about the bleeding in advance or even why it happened...all told i guess the outcome is amazing! and i know it will get better & better!

best of luck on your trip...i hope the bumps are minimal & that you beat the wicked winter weather that is coming! i am cancelling my NYC pain doctor appt for Wednesday due to the predicted storm path! am rescheduling for next week....

make it home safely with your sainted Brian! sounds like he is a true gem! so glad that you are going home...make it there safely! may you heal more & more each day!

take care
            jess

Comment

Good luck Anne,

I hope you make it home before the snow! I think you should; they're saying it won't start here till midnight.

Good luck with the drive and feel better!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
              X