Question for the ladies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the ladies

I'm posting this for a friend who's 48 and had scoliosis surgery in November. She is wondering how long it takes before your periods settle down and get back to normal and whether what's happening to her is something to worry about. Because those days are behind me, I am unable to help her so I offered to put the question to the women of the forum. She says:

Not a good day for me today I am afraid. Yesterday I started with a slight urine infection - bit like cystitis. I was debating about ringing the GP but it came and went so I left it. I haven't had anything like that for about 20 years so I thought it might pass. When we went to bed I wasn't too bad and although I got up in the night - again I wasn't too bad. However, on the way to the supermarket it started again and got worse while we were there. I went to the loo 3 times and was passing quite a lot of blood. I don't think I have mentioned it to you but my surgery date was the day my period was due. I am on the pill so continued to take the next pack in order to miss it. My next period came in the middle of the bout of constipation - lovely! When I started my pills again the period continued for a couple of weeks - very unusual for me. Then when my next period came - it has just continued for a whole month - I have just started my third
    period thursday. Now this is all very irregular for me and I was going to go to the GP if this period didn't stop next Tusday. I am not sure if the water infection is anything to do with the period but it isn't nice and is worrying when you are passing a lot of blood. I have rung the NHS and am waiting now for the Doctor to ring me. They say I need to see someone and will have an appointment within 2 hours. I won't send this until I have been and can update you. This is a case of 'it never rains it pours'. The NHS nurse was asking me if I had back pain or side pain - ha ha ha. I said I have different aches and pains from the surgery every day, plus I have period pains, plus I have the muscle aches from walking. Take your pick! Ha ha ha I feel really worn out today - I could curl up and sleep for England.

She is now on antibiotics and feeling much better but still concerned about the period issue. I'm hoping someone can offer her some advice.

Jen
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

I think the surgery does affect your period because after my second surgery I got my period it was horrible. I had the catheter in as well so it made it more disgusting!! I wasn't due to have it till the end of the month.. Now I am concerned bc I don't know when I will get it again! I used to be irregular when I was a teen and now I hope it doesn't screw my cycle up again.. I would recommend you friend to goto her ob and find out. Bc Ive heard surgery can screw up the cycle.

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on television . . .but, no harm in talking to your doc. But, I wouldn't be surprised if your GP will be left scratching his/her head as to the question of a surgery/cycle relationship.
      I, too, am 48 (for another 3 weeks, anyway) and I had my surgery (fused T-3 to L-3) on Aug 25. The whole experience had absolutely no effect on my periods. I have read, here, that the surgery can bring on a period in the immediate post-op period, no matter where in the cycle you were on your surgery date. This is the first post I've read where anyone's said an alteration in the nature/timing of cycles has gone on.
      Could the surgery be a red herring, and your friend is beginning menopause?
      Good luck! Let us know what happens!
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

I was 45, and most info I received that if would throw me into menopause.
        I had a period about 4 months post opp, which came when I had removed my brace. I felt like I was blesses because I could actually reach down there and take care of things by myself. I never had a period again.

Naturally we are all different, and you are still young, but for me, anythime I was in a stressful situation, my periods were always weird.

It's never a mistake to ask your Dr.!.!

Take Care,
        Shari

Comment

Jen, I think she should see her GP soon. Having her periods that often and heavy can cause her to become anaemic and weak. I had what she descibes back in 2007, my Gyn did a D & C, Hysteroscopy and Laporoscopy all at the same time and found nothing except for a spongy uterus, which he suspects may have Adenomyosis. I say suspects, because it cannot be diagnosed untilthe Hysterectomy is performed and then the uterus is tested. At my appointment with my surgeon, he warned me that my periods may never return. I had my period 11/2 weeks before surgery only to have it return at (i think) 3 days post-op, but very light. After this, they did not return for about four months (bummer!) but, whereas before they lasted 5-7 days,they now last about 3. I hope she can sort these issues out soon as she needs her strength for recovery.
          Vali
          44 years young! now 45
          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
          Post -op - 5 degrees
          T11 - S1 Posterior
          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Thanks all! I have passed on your observations and advice. Her GP is the next step if things don't settle down.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
            X