Opioid Pain Killers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opioid Pain Killers

I was wondering if some of you guys could tell me how long you needed to take opioid analgesics for pain management post-operatively?

Thanks

Jim
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Hi Jimbo, hope all is going well for you. I was discharged from hospital on 5mg Endone and Panadeine Forte. I took Panadeine Forte during the day if needed and the Endone at night to help me sleep. I gave up taking all pain meds on day 15 post-op, then only used Panadol or Panadeine Extra if needed. Don't rush to come off pain meds. I did the stupid thing and quit suddenly. For three nights/days, i had sweats, trembles and dizziness which according to my surgeon, were withdrawal symptoms from the meds!
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I took Oxycontin for about 8 months.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I still take opiates although the amounts are minimal compared to what they were when I was released from the hospital and the rehab. I was released on very high doses of oxycontin and dilaudid. Compared to Philadelphia doctors, Boston doctors seem to really believe in pain management. I was receiving pain meds every 2 hours the last week at the rehab and continued that for about 2 weeks of being home. After that I just kept reducing and reducing. For me it was strange because you are supposed to need more opiates to continue to feel the same effects but I had the exact opposite reaction. I needed less and less as time went on and I would know it was time to reduce because what was good for me one day suddenly would become too much and I would have to drop down what I was taking. A very paradoxical response that I have not seen anyone else having.
        avis
        1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
        2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
        2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

I was totally off pain meds just shy of my 3 month post-op date. Everyone is different Jimbo. Listen to your body. If you can cut back do so (slowly so you don't get withdrawls), but if you can't, you're still very early on in recovery.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks guys. I am finding myself needing them less and less.
            45L/40T
            Surgery 25/1/2010
            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Working...
            X