Hereditary Anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hereditary Anyone

Just curious here, does anyone have other family members with scoliosis? Like me, I have a cousin who has it, but not to the degree of my curve (90-100). I know scoliosis is hereditary so I was just interested to know if anyone else has family members with it?
    Thanks.
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Well both my daughters have scoliosis but they are effectively clones of one another so that may not count.

My husband has a cousin who was fused for scoliosis and my aunt has scoliosis. My father-in-law says my mother-in-law's back is curved though she has no diagnosis. I'm sure if everyone in my extended family was radiographed there would be several more cases.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

My father. I think it was late onset, or "senior" scoliosis. It was mild, like 30 degrees.

There are an alarming amount of seniors, post 60 that are getting scoli now. Linda posted a while back and the numbers were high, like 65% I believe.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Wow - this is incredible. I appreciate the responses. I always watch my son, 13 years old, and I hope he does not develop any signs or symptoms. Especially since my curve is so severe. Amazing to hear how many people have family members with this debilitating disease....
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46

Comment

my sister has a "touch" of it...like 5 degrees...in her 60's, no worry of progression! other sister none...none elsewhere that i know of....

jess

Comment

My mom had a very mild case that progressed horribly in her old age. I never knew she had it as a young woman until after a fairly recent conversation with my dad, several years after mom passed.

My sisters and brother are either free from it, or have mild cases which remain undiagnosed. I believe my maternal grandmother may have been stricken (based on pictures and memories of her pain in old age) but if so, she never spoke of it. I also have a distant cousin (on my mother's side) who has it as a result of MD. My daughter - escaped, it appears.

I find it interesting that there seems a generation (my parents and grandparents), survivors of the great depression - who put little stock in such things. What I mean is, such (mild) conditions were not a topic of conversation - as survivors they had a sense of bucking up and carrying on. So I wonder how many "unknown" family cases there may be.

It wasn't until after joining this forum, questioning my dad - and giving more careful thought to family medical history, that I even realized the background that exists.

Comment

My grandmother had what must have been a curve easily over 100 degrees. She had it her whole life. Never treated. She did however work full time until she was 90, and passed away at 94!

I have it mildly, but never an issue to where I had it measured or treated (may have come on as an adult).

Neither of my parents have it, but my daughter's paternal grandmother has it mildly (may have come on as an adult).

My daughter has it moderate-severe.

Comment

I have asked my husband what must have been done with people like us in such pain and agony all day every day and can't walk or sit for any length of time, spasms, can't sleep, not normal appetite, and decreased lung capacity, in the days of horse and wagons and Indians on the horizon. I figure they have taken people behind their barns and shot them or something because they could not have just lived with this agony. It's just not possible. And, I don't know, but I haven't seen any Walgreen's or Wal-Mart pharmacies on Western movies that I've seen. Ha!
                Rita Thompson
                Age 46

Comment

They suffered....that is what they did...that generation...they suffered!

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
                    I have asked my husband what must have been done with people like us in such pain and agony all day every day and can't walk or sit for any length of time, spasms, can't sleep, not normal appetite, and decreased lung capacity, in the days of horse and wagons and Indians on the horizon. I figure they have taken people behind their barns and shot them or something because they could not have just lived with this agony. It's just not possible. And, I don't know, but I haven't seen any Walgreen's or Wal-Mart pharmacies on Western movies that I've seen. Ha!
                    They probably drank a lot for medicinal reasons - and pot was also medically prescribed ... a liquid opiate was also dispensed for chronic pain. Not that I was there - I just once had an interest in that myself, and remember discovering these things about history past.

Comment

My mother, who recently died at the age of 85, had a severe case, as did I. She wore a back brace for a time, back in the late 1930's or early 1940's, but it clearly was of zilch benefit. (My experience, decades later, was the same.) Like me, she got much worse with pregnancies and with time. Unlike me, she was not fortunate enough to have the surgical advances available to her, in her time.

My daughter, who is 25, has a very mild case. Mercifully, not enough to warrant talking about.
                      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Funny this came up so timely. At the pre-op the other day we met the neurosurgeon. His first question to me was did I have scoliosis. I said no, but on DH side there is a cousin who had fusion surgery in the 70's, and his dad has scoliosis. He told me it usually comes from the mother (knew I was going to get blamed ). My mother was diagnosis with cervical spine stenosis in her 70's, but that was it. Both my DD's have scoliosis - youngest surgery is on 2/9/10.

Dee
                        Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                        Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                        Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

My maternal grandmother had mild scoliosis. I'm one of four siblings and am the only one with scoliosis. I have two daughters, neither of whom have it and I am watching the backs of my three tiny grandaughters like a hawk.

The very best of luck to your daughter tomorrow ddb.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My maternal aunt had a very severe case of thoracic scoliosis, just like mine (90 degrees) but I think my posture is better so it is less noticeable. It lead to severe lung problems and to her early demise at age 69. My maternal grandmother had it but not to that extent. My sister has under 30 degrees and her daughter was diagnosed with about 16 degrees, has been going for some type of physical therapy in California, and it has gotten down to 10 (she is 17).

BAS2101, I am amazed to hear about your grandmother. When I went to Clear, I was told that scoliosis takes on the average 15 years off your life, and I know of people who died from complications, aside from my aunt. I have 90 degrees but no pain. I am doing this solely to prevent problems in the future. Oh, to have a crystal ball! Joy

Comment

Hmmm.....15 years off one's life NO MATTER WHERE the scoli is? so even lumbar takes 15 years off, even if it causes no heart or lung problems cause it isnt high enuf up to do so...?

Hmmmm...they werent just tryin' to scare you, were they?

i am kinda mistrustful of them...for some reason....

jess

Comment

Working...
                              X