Budgeting time out of brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budgeting time out of brace

My daughter was told to wear her brace 20 hours per day. Occasionally she will participate in activities out of brace, skiing for example, where she will end up being out for up to an hour extra. I figured that if she is out of her brace for say 5 hours on a Saturday she could wear it an extra hour on the following day given that she is very good at keeping to the plan otherwise and she is using the time to be physically active. The uncertainty causes her anxiety so I was wondering if anyone could offer input.

My daughter is supposed do wear her brace 22 hours/day. Since she adheres to this almost all of the time, I am never concerned when she takes it off for longer periods, say for school dances, swimming, or any other reason when she can't or doesn't want to wear it. I can't imagine these occasions make much of a difference in the long run.

Comment

There is exactly zero evidence that 20 hours a day is effective and 19 or 18 hours is not. It could be that 16 or less is just as effective as 20 hours. Nobody knows. It's just standard protocol, not something that rests on any evidence whatsoever.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

We were told DD only had to wear it for 16 - 18 hours/day and she had the doctor's full blessing to take it off during her gymnastics practice (would have been impossible to do gymnastics in a brace!), etc...

She also had the option to leave it on or take it off for gym class.

Other than those times, she wore it as much if not more than the 16 - 18 hours/day. We never did a make-up type of thing, if she wore it less than her 16 hours, then that is how it was as there were other days that it was over because she didn't have practice or gym class that day, etc...

I know it's hard to comply 100% as long as you are doing your best, that's all you can do.
        Becky
        Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
        Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by bas2101 View Post
          My daughter is supposed do wear her brace 22 hours/day. Since she adheres to this almost all of the time, I am never concerned when she takes it off for longer periods, say for school dances, swimming, or any other reason when she can't or doesn't want to wear it. I can't imagine these occasions make much of a difference in the long run.
          I agree completely. In the grand scheme of things, an extra hour or so here and there is not going to make a difference.

And as Sharon said, the whole thing is much more "protocol" than anything that is based on evidence or proof that "x" amount of hours in a brace is effective. As she said "nobody knows".

I also agree with Beckymk about not stressing over making up the hour(s) the next day. It can't hurt, but if it's only occasionally that she doesn't keep to the 20 hours, I honestly wouldn't worry about making up the time.

Good luck - and I hope this helps.
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
          X