No announcement yet.

This time it's me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually Debbe, a friend of mine who's a nurse came up for a few days to be with me during the daytimes when my husband had to go back home. She wasn't allowed to officially act as a nurse (without a NY license) but she kept an eye on things, and she witnessed a few incidents that made her mad enough to write a formal letter of complaint. We got a letter of apology from some administrator with the explanation that they were in a "period of flux, short-staffed," blah, blah etc. etc.

That said, if I ever had to have surgery again, I would still go to HSS because they are clean (incredibly low infection rates), orthopedic surgery is all they do, and they know what they're doing. I would just make sure I had someone with me at all times to advocate for me.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Oh my god!!!! I can totally relate to the horror stories of the nurses at HSS. Thank GOD my sister was with me the whole time I was in the hospital. She's a nurse and although she isn't licensed in NY state she was very helpful when the nurses didn't respond. She also advocated for me in a lot of situations. The night nurses in the PACU were totally unprofessional!! I honestly wonder how they even became nurses and why would the hospital even hire them!!! My room in the PACU was right in front of the nurses station and when I would press my call button not one nurse would come over. It would take almost an hour to get my meds at night. I begged my surgeon to get me out of there but because of my chest tube I couldn't leave. I have soooooo many stories from being in the PACU it's unbelievable. My husband wants to write a letter to the president of the hospital. My sister was appalled at the way they treated patients in the PACU. Once I was moved to my room it was much better. The nurses were attentive and for the most part timely when it came to my meds. I wish I had a private nurse while in the PACU. I honestly think it would have helped with my recovery while in there. : (

Comment

Lisa,

Your husband should absolutely write a letter to the President or CEO or the hospital. It is the only way anything gets changed. It has to be in writing.

I guess I was lucky at the NE Baptist. The nurses were great and I was alone much of the time. There were two bad snow storms while I was there and hubby couldn't make it in to see me. There were a couple of times that my meds were late, but I could tell the nurses were out straight and they got to me as soon as they could.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
        X