No announcement yet.

Vitamin D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin D deficiency is fairly widespread whereas high-angle scoliosis is exquisitely rare in the general population. I heard a radio program on this a while ago about how deficient many people are for this vitamin. It was interesting enough to have the whole show on it.

My daughters had surgical level scoliosis and do not have a vitamin D deficiency. I do not have scoliosis and was put on a massive prescription dose for several weeks in order to get to a point where we can ramp it down to just one non-prescription dose a day.

I have never read of anyone suggest a relationship between the two but that doesn't rule it out. Sometimes folk just have more than one condition. They don't always have to be connected or part of the same underlying condition, even for something like Vitamin D that does play a part in bone metabolism if I recall correctly.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Extremely low Vitamin D - Lots of questions!

I just found this thread as I was searching vitamin D deficiency. Low and behold our beloved forum popped up on my browser when I combined scoliosis and vitamin D. I was just diagnosed with extremely low vitamin D levels. One article that I read in WebMd (I think) said it was related to bone pain. It makes me wonder if that isn't where some of my pain is coming from. My levels were only 12, ouch! They are putting me on 50,000 unit pills once a week for 16 weeks before my recheck. That seems like an aweful lot. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Pooka, I seem to recall that you mentioned being treated for this. Did they give you that much for that long? Has anyone else heard of it being related to bone pain? I was tested by someone I saw for my migraine headaches. She also put me on lamictal. As far as I know that drug is used for epilepsy and bipolar disorder. I asked the pharmacist if he had ever heard of it being used for migraines and he said yes. I get different types of headaches that have always been attributed to my high and tight left thoracic curve, but now I'm wondering. Why don't scoli docs test for this, especially when people are in pain? Sorry for so many questions, but this is all new to me. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I'm thinking about calling my PCP and letting him know to see if I should get a bone density test. What do you all think?
      Last edited by rohrer01; 11-11-2011, 12:37 AM. Reason: additional thought/question
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

I am on the same... 50K units per week for 16 weeks.

Mine was low but they didn't tell me the number. I will find out. I was told that some people are lower and are put on larger doses than what we are on, I think she said 100K units per week for many weeks or maybe more.

I can't say I have bone pain apart from normal aging pain. I don't get sore from riding several times a week which is really all that matters.
        Last edited by Pooka1; 11-11-2011, 11:30 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I rode a horse for the first time in my life while on vacation in Arizona back in September. My sister has horses and my neice rides competively and for show. She was featured for about a half hour on the news! Anyway, she gave me a quick lesson, and I LOVED it. After a few minutes, I was riding by myself and it was AWESOME. Granted, the horse never got beyond a slow trot because we were in the round pen, but I didn't suffer any ill consequences from it. But on the topic of vitamin D, I do have bone pain in my spine that is quite severe at times. I was "hoping" that would subside with this treatment, but only time will tell. With my luck, I'll end up with kidney stones from it as they do run in my family...:-( Thanks, Sharon, for posting your experience with this.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Don't give up quite yet on the vitamin D helping with bone pain. It may take a while to build up. For example, I will not be retested until the 12 week mark to see what the therapeutic dose has done. Once it is in normal range, I am to go on a daily Vitamin D supplement the rest of my life as I understand this.

Glad you liked riding! Some people like it and some are "bitten" and become obsessed. I am in the latter category. My two girls are in the former category despite many, many lessons. It is wildly more fun the more you can do. I presently have a very talented, very well trained horse. Also, I was smitten with rehab training for horses when I was able to help rehab my horse. It's very rewarding to be able to help a large animal like a horse use PT essentially to get stronger and more even. And to see the and feel the improvement over time.

Do you think you will do more riding?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
              Don't give up quite yet on the vitamin D helping with bone pain. It may take a while to build up. For example, I will not be retested until the 12 week mark to see what the therapeutic dose has done. Once it is in normal range, I am to go on a daily Vitamin D supplement the rest of my life as I understand this.

Glad you liked riding! Some people like it and some are "bitten" and become obsessed. I am in the latter category. My two girls are in the former category despite many, many lessons. It is wildly more fun the more you can do. I presently have a very talented, very well trained horse. Also, I was smitten with rehab training for horses when I was able to help rehab my horse. It's very rewarding to be able to help a large animal like a horse use PT essentially to get stronger and more even. And to see the and feel the improvement over time.

Do you think you will do more riding?
              As for the bone pain, I'm not giving up. I won't be rechecked until the 16 week mark.

As for horses, if I could convince my hubby to move out into the country I would LOVE to have one, but only if it is as tame as the one my neice has. My sister has some horses that started out really mean and my brother-in-law got hurt pretty bad a couple of times. Of course, I was there to witness it, so that intimidates me a little. But the riding came so natural. I've heard horror stories of how bumpy it is and everyone was worried about my back with me getting on, but I insisted. You just move with and feel like you become part of the animal. I loved it! I would definitely to it again.
              Be happy!
              but we are alive today!

Comment

I guess we all need to get our calcium needs met in our diets:

http://www.news-press.com/article/20...um-supplements
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My vitamin D levels did come up into the "normal" range after 16 weeks but wasn't high enough for my practitioner's liking. I still take 5,000 IU every day. I also take calcium supplements.
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                  X