Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware

Has anyone every broken there hardware?! If so, how did it happen..I have this biggest fear that I am going to pop a nut or screw.. I woke up with this awful sharp pain in my back today, when the VNA nurse came I told her and she called the Dr. The Dr. told her that I will start experiencing different pains with the swelling going down and that it is normal, and told her to assure me that he put everything in there good and tight lol..

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Hi..

Hopefully you'll find a few people whose implants have broken. It's one of the more common complications. My implants didn't break, but I also had the fear. I think that fear is very common. My advice would be to try to relax and stop worrying. If your implants break this early in the recovery process, I think you would normally notice a very different posture. I saw someone in clinic yesterday who was quite tilted forward just 6 weeks postop, and sure enough, a screw had pulled out. If your posture changes significantly, you should definitely make an appointment to see the surgeon.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by megz View Post
      Has anyone every broken there hardware?! If so, how did it happen..I have this biggest fear that I am going to pop a nut or screw.. I woke up with this awful sharp pain in my back today, when the VNA nurse came I told her and she called the Dr. The Dr. told her that I will start experiencing different pains with the swelling going down and that it is normal, and told her to assure me that he put everything in there good and tight lol..
      The first few months I had different little pains all the time. Nothing HORRIBLE, but the little differences here and there made me wonder if I did something bad to myself. It turned out that nothing was wrong at all. Try not to worry. When do you go back to the Dr. for a check? I went at 6 weeks post-op.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I will go march 9 for a six week check up..I think i am just paranoid lol..This is all new to me so now I am gonna think screws an stuff are just gonna pop out of different places lol.

27 year old female
        Upper Curve 110 degrees
        Lower Curve 90 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
        Fused T2-Pelvis
        Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by megz View Post
          I will go march 9 for a six week check up..I think i am just paranoid lol..This is all new to me so now I am gonna think screws an stuff are just gonna pop out of different places lol.
          Gee, On March 11, I am having my surgery. but your fear is my fear as well.

Melissa

Comment

Hi Megz,

Don't feel like you're alone. I don't remember everthing from my surgeries in 05, but I vividly remember thinking that every new pain I felt or every little move I made, whether I heard a noise or not, I always thought I had done sort of damage.

Don't let this over take your thought process like I did. It will consume you. Just have faith in the fact that your Dr. has done the great job, and that all the things you feel are just part of the process of normal recovery!!!

Personally, while I would be just sitting or lying aorund w/o anything to think about, I made up all kinds of things in my own mind. Don't make the same mistake, but if you truly think you have a problem, never ever hesitate to call your Dr. Even if it's only for peace of mind!!!

You are in my thoughts and prayers,
            Shari

Comment

Working...
            X