• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow , what a straight spine

You must be so happy

Melissa

Comment

Jimbo I've been following your posts and I'm so happy that your on the other side and recovering well. I too would call your dr about the pain meds - I think if you don't ask you won't get.

Good luck with your nursing career - you may think your being held up by this, but your getting a side of training that most don't (patient side). This is the best training especially for your future patients!!

Best to you in your recovery!

Dee
      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

It's nice to hear that they keep you reasonably comfortable - at least it doesn't sound like it was a situation where you just thought you were going to die in pain. Maybe I guess. I'm ready to get it over with. Waiting till July sounds like such a horrible long time.
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I am so ready now to go .
          I have a little over a month to wait. At first, I was so anxious and nervous but now I can't wait to be rid of the pain.

I am doing things all around the house that needed to be done or will make life easier when I get back.

I have scheduled my last pre-op with the Doctor and I have my fun fulled day at the Hospital scheduled as well.

Closer to the date, my Daughter and I are going to a Spa to get a manicure and a pedicure and my legs waxed since I will be unable to do these things for a while

Glad to hear things are going better for you Jimbo

Comment

Oh my gosh, Jimbo, those are amazing x-rays. You must be thrilled. I agree with all that Jennifer said. I had to have them call in new Rx's and also later went to my GP--that was just easier. Good luck. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Wow! That is a nice looking spine man! Very very straight, that looks like it's in the single digit degrees, I wished my looked like that

GL with everything!

Comment

If I look half that straight postop I will be happy!!! What cool x-rays and very STRAIGHT! I like it! Congrats.
                Rita Thompson
                Age 46

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
                  Dear Vali: you're the first one I've heard say it was not that bad. It was painful but not really that bad. I'm very glad to hear you say that. Of course, one of the things I've wondered about is just how bad it really is. Of course, with the amount of pain I have now going on, muscle spasms, hurts to talk, laugh or even sniffle, decreased lung capacity, and so on.....it may not be much worse than that. And, at least that you know will get back. Whereas this pain we fell all day everyday - day in and day out - we have to wonder will it ever end. Amy I close here?
                  Rita, I lived with pain for almost 30 years before it drove me to surgery as a last resort. Having only the experiences of others to draw upon, I had NO clue what it would be like for me.

Like Vali, it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd imagined.

The day of surgery, I came out and spent ±30 minutes in PACU before they sent me to my room. I shook the anesthesia by about 4pm, and was wide awake: I started making phone calls to update people. More than anything, I was aggravated people kept telling me I didn't need to be on the phone - LOL.

I walked about 75' the day after surgery ... 300 the next day.

Day 2-3, I started blowing IVs (vancomycin is caustic ... I'd previously had MRSA, and it's just a precaution I always take). The pain got semi bad for a day or so until they worked out alternate pain management - but honestly, it wasn't as bad as after my ankle reconstruction.

Everyone's different (which I know makes it really confusing) ... but not everyone sees it as the worst experience of their life. I'd do it again (100 times over) vs. going back to how I felt *pre-op*.

Just my .02. BTW, I sent you my surgery photos password via PM.

Pam

(... and, again ... Jimbo - I'm so proud of you! ;-)
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Hey, I tried opening your pictures, although how my computer is set up is a little different than most because I have some super duper security since I do medical transcription electronically. But, it was worth a try. Thanks so much for your encouragement. You saying you would do it again 100 times over and it wasn't near as bad as the preop pain, made my day. Especially with the amount of pain I'm in now. I am envious of those who can exercise preoperatively - heck, I can't get too far from the heat pad, that's my only salvation so far.
                    Thanks again. If I'm able to get your picgtures I'll let you know. And, keep the encouragement coming....
                    Rita Thompson
                    Age 46

Comment

Hey, I tried opening your pictures, although how my computer is set up is a little different than most because I have some super duper security since I do medical transcription electronically. But, it was worth a try. Thanks so much for your encouragement. You saying you would do it again 100 times over and it wasn't near as bad as the preop pain, made my day. Especially with the amount of pain I'm in now. I am envious of those who can exercise preoperatively - heck, I can't get too far from the heat pad, that's my only salvation so far.
                      Thanks again. If I'm able to get your picgtures I'll let you know. And, keep the encouragement coming....
                      For what it's worth, I didn't think the pain was as bad as I expected. Yes, it hurt like hell and felt like I was hit by a truck, but it wasn't as bad as I thought, and as I literally dreamed it would be.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thats nice to hear. I have envisioned this not quite as bad as I had initially thought, thanks to you all. I am hopeful they have some good "stuff" to help me through the first initial shock of postop pain anyways. After that, I'm pretty confident that the horrible pain we have endured everyday all day is not going to be near as bad, if not only for the knowing that we are now on the other side - that has got to make a difference just knowing that.
                        Rita Thompson
                        Age 46

Comment

That is the way I feel as well. At least with that pain, you know that soon there will be some relief .
                          Melissa

Thats nice to hear. I have envisioned this not quite as bad as I had initially thought, thanks to you all. I am hopeful they have some good "stuff" to help me through the first initial shock of postop pain anyways. After that, I'm pretty confident that the horrible pain we have endured everyday all day is not going to be near as bad, if not only for the knowing that we are now on the other side - that has got to make a difference just knowing that.

Comment

Amen to that! This day after day, all day, horrible pain, not able to sleep well gets old very quickly.
                            Rita Thompson
                            Age 46

Comment

I have no regrets undergoing that operation. It has given me my life back and I am only two weeks out.

However, I was reasonably fit before the surgery and naturally very flexibile, which enables me to care much more for myself.

Today I went to the computer expo with my friends and was walking around looking at gadgets for 2 hours, that was after I took 5mg of endone though.

My biggest complaint right now is the severe stiffness in the lumbar region due to the extended temporary rods into L5 and the lumbar brace. Due to this restriction, it has given me the 'flatback' condition. Glad it is only temporary.

Sleeping in the lumbar brace is quite difficult due to the heat, I mean it was pushing 40 degrees here (104 f) and it is like having on a blanket all night. It will get easier though.

one month hey Melissa? I think the hardest part of this surgery is the week leading up to the operation and the week after the operation. Just stay focused and positive and you will make it.
                              45L/40T
                              Surgery 25/1/2010
                              Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

one month hey Melissa? I think the hardest part of this surgery is the week leading up to the operation and the week after the operation. Just stay focused and positive and you will make it.[/QUOTE]

In the beginning , I was very nervous and anxious .Now I am welcoming the surgery as a relief from the pain.Today was a bad day.When I woke up, it hurt and it only went down hill from there. Now I can only hope for a spine as straight as yours

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X