No announcement yet.

Home Sweet Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, it's stunning the way some are able to post so soon post-op. I think I was about week three and then it was only for a few minutes. It took weeks before I could even sit at the computer for more than 15 minutes. Ouch! (Remembering the sore tailbone! Did anybody else get that?)

Jimbo, I'm so happy you've done so well and you can now get on with the rest of your life knowing this scoliosis is not going to continue progressing.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Does anyone take a laptop into the hospital for posting after surgery? Dare I ask? Can you even believe I am asking such a thing??? :LOL
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Jimbo...do you mind telling me how old you are? And how tall? How many inches did you gain?
        Laura
        62 degrees
        49 yrs. young
        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
          Does anyone take a laptop into the hospital for posting after surgery? Dare I ask? Can you even believe I am asking such a thing??? :LOL
          I was thinking the same question . so what is the answer?

melissa

Comment

We did, but my husband kept it with him when he went to the guest house overnight. I did make some of my own posts from the hospital. It was also nice and encouraging to read others' good luck and response posts to mine.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Jimbo
              Glad to see you are home....Looking forward to seeing your x-rays.

Jen
              I was the same as you, Sitting more than 60 seconds was a problem for the first 4 weeks for me. I think it was the large anchor screws in my hips. My hips were very sore. At 6 weeks, I had a new computer brought over here, and I became slightly enthused again about computers. LOL
              I think John (JDM555) set the record for posting after surgery. 10 minutes out, and he posted off his phone.

Rita & Melissa
              My hospital didn’t want me bringing anything of value. They of course will not claim responsibility for any missing things. I didn’t bring much with me. I knew I could get items from my visitors after I was released from ICU.

I also was moved quite a bit and was in many different areas for some reason. Each time, they would throw my belongings under my bed. At least I had a change of scenery, and liked the trips.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

JIMBO!!! There you are!

Man ... you summed up my experience:

"In fact apart from the post surgical pain, this is the best I have felt since I was a small boy"

Despite the fact I was never a small boy (I ~think~) that's EXACTLY how I felt. Recovery was easy compared to what I was living - which was really starting to blow.

I'm sooooooooo proud of you. Some days may be unpleasant, but they'll get better. You made the jump into the unknown; the rest will never be as scary.

Hugs,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Was posting from mine the day after surgery. Didn't bring it with me (doh), so I was limited to calling everyone when I woke up.
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Gosh Rita, with the drugs I was on, I couldn't even figure out how to use my cell phone. Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

There is no way i could have posted immediately after surgery. I barely woke up until 5.30am next morning. My surgery started at 8.30am and finished at 3.45pm. I went to recovery unitl 6.30 then back to my room. My family said i looked very swollen. My daughter told me i uttered the words - i'm gonna be sick, and i don't even remember that! The next morning, i definitely could have posted if i had a computer AND if i could sit more than ten minutes! I remember the extreme anxiety i had about this surgery pre-op, only to wake up and think - OK, it's not a walk in the park - but it's not that bad either! To all pre and post ops, keep well and have a good weekend.
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior
                      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Dear Vali: you're the first one I've heard say it was not that bad. It was painful but not really that bad. I'm very glad to hear you say that. Of course, one of the things I've wondered about is just how bad it really is. Of course, with the amount of pain I have now going on, muscle spasms, hurts to talk, laugh or even sniffle, decreased lung capacity, and so on.....it may not be much worse than that. And, at least that you know will get back. Whereas this pain we fell all day everyday - day in and day out - we have to wonder will it ever end. Amy I close here?
                        Rita Thompson
                        Age 46
                        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

It's hard to say. For me, the pre-op pain was only intermittent and moderate but bad enough to want to be free of it. But can I chime in and say I too, found surgery/recovery not to be as bad as I'd expected. There may be an element of forgetfulness due to drugs, but looking back, the recovery time went fast, I remember bad moments but they didn't last and for that reason Rita, I think you are right.

It wasn't as painful as the last hour or two of labour, for those, like me, who had drug free childbirth, though there were brief times that it came close. Waiting for the next oral meds was when it hurt, but once they kicked in, or I was given a morphine injection, the pain went completely.

So it wasn't days/weeks of non-stop agony. The meds do a good job. It's just that they don't always get you through to the next lot.

But time passes quickly and you keep getting improvements which keep you positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
                            Jimbo...do you mind telling me how old you are? And how tall? How many inches did you gain?
                            I was about 5ft 8 before and now i am about 5ft 9, I am 28

As for posting so quickly after surgery, people can use their iphones and mobile phones to put up messages on the forum. I definitely would have done that but my phone did not have that capability so I waited until I could use my laptop.

Straight after surgery in ICU I was just about pain free, most likely due to the very powerful anesthetics and muscle relaxers used during surgery. Once those wore off though there was no way I could have posted a message to you guys, but I wanted too

The only real problem I am having now is post-op pain. And get this, they gave me NO repeats on my endone analgesics! I know they are highly addictive but only one week worth and all I have left is non-narcotics, I mean DAYUM, that is a tad strict :P

My lumbar brace is annoying and SO hot (temperature).

I think the kids who have to wear the larger braces are real little heroes. It takes great will power and courage to keep them on.

I went out into the city for a hamburger today and had a little difficulty negotiating traffic, since I look fine nobody really gives you room or a second thought, so I must stay vigilant.

I just had many of my friends move over seas during the week to start new lives and new careers which is making me kind of sad, I still have so far to go, career and money wise and it is frustrating being held back by this.

On another note, this surgery has given me a profound insight into my own abilities and skills I thought I never had. The extreme pain seems to purge one’s soul and harden one’s mind and I feel much stronger because of this. I am going to continue my nursing career as my surgeon encouraged me to do so. I feel I have much to offer in that industry due to my experiences of being a patient.

I am going to go have a nice hot shower now and bathe those tortured muscles, aaaahhh.

Oh and here are some post-op pictures taken with my nikon, they will do until I get the x-rays on disk.
                            45L/40T
                            Surgery 25/1/2010
                            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

That's one very straight spine, Jimbo, you must be thrilled.

When do you run out of Endones? I was sent home Saturday morning with only enough to get through to Sunday night. Phone the hospital and they will contact your surgeon and he can fax a script to your local 7 day pharmacy. Look up the phone book, ring your nearest pharmacy and ask for their fax number. This is what I did. It seemed to be fairly normal practice. From then on, I phoned my GP and she faxed whatever scripts I needed through to my local pharmacy and my partner picked them up. It was made so easy for me.

I am sure they don't expect you to go without this early post op.

Good luck with your nursing career. I have always regretted not doing nursing, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                                That's one very straight spine, Jimbo, you must be thrilled.

When do you run out of Endones? I was sent home Saturday morning with only enough to get through to Sunday night. Phone the hospital and they will contact your surgeon and he can fax a script to your local 7 day pharmacy. Look up the phone book, ring your nearest pharmacy and ask for their fax number. This is what I did. It seemed to be fairly normal practice. From then on, I phoned my GP and she faxed whatever scripts I needed through to my local pharmacy and my partner picked them up. It was made so easy for me.

I am sure they don't expect you to go without this early post op.

Good luck with your nursing career. I have always regretted not doing nursing, myself.
                                Thanks Jennifer.
                                45L/40T
                                Surgery 25/1/2010
                                Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Working...
                                X