Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Less invasive surgery developed by Israel (Apifix implant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less invasive surgery developed by Israel (Apifix implant)

Hi everybody

I would like to share an article with you on the ApiFix implant.

The link is http://israel21c.org/health/medical-...osis-solution/ and the video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chfQ5GSXhFs

The company is now starting clinical trials

Hudger, Magec not use also only roads?

Comment

It seems I’m not understanding something.. Magec is a reversible fussion less surgery.. as I know when the roads are removed, the spines remains as if surgery were never done.

Comment

But if it would be true, I believe those threads would have not any sense.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ighlight=magec

Comment

I believe that what might be happening is that the researcher is sure that fusion is not necessary but he has not enough cases yet to demonstrate it.
          Anyway, roads seem to not break and fusion is not necessary to hold the spine straight, unless until growht finish.

Comment

Its body looks stout and looks as if the weak point would be at the head of the screw just under the attachment point. It will break at its weakest point. I have read 1 million cycles to breakage, but if needed, a screw could be replaced...

I wonder if this will require two small 1” cuts? Or a single 5” cut? And how long they expect this device to stay in?

This looks very interesting since the surgery or invasiveness is minimal....I also wonder how many levels they can do? It looks like 3, which seems short.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

But if it’s a fact that roads will breaks, they should to advertise this, not?
              I believe that VBS device doesn’t breaks. I really have not clear the difference among these 3 minimal invasive surgeries, except for the point that Magec is the only one that may be altered through the outside.

Comment

the Anand Info Spine Group has info for minimally invasive scoli surgeries...
                for adults....

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                  the Anand Info Spine Group has info for minimally invasive scoli surgeries...
                  for adults....

jess
                  They should to think in what people understand by the term ‘minimal invasive’ before using it to promote their surgeries. It’s difficult to imagine something more invasive than fusion!

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger

The rod breakage is not an issue if they're removing the device once the spine is straight. But if the rod is expected to hold the spine straight all of your life, then breakage is an issue.
                    Al those roads are the same used in fusion? How may be that not breaks? They should to be used through many years in some cases until adulthood.

Comment

minimally invasive refers to incisions, i believe....
                      MI surgery means smaller incisions....less damage to muscles, less blood loss....

jess

Comment

Yes, that is what that means for those people.. they should to be honests and give names according to what really are and not according what they want that people believe they are.

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                          But if it would be true, I believe those threads would have not any sense.
                          Fer,

Two points that will clear up your confusion I hope...

1. MAGEC makes ONE claim that is different from claims of traditional growing rods... that they can be extended without surgery. They do NOT claim they are better than traditional growing rods in any way OTHER than being able to extend them without surgery. They do NOT claim they avoid fusion. Please read what they are actually claiming. I don't know where you got the idea that they work in a fundamentally different manner than traditional growing rods OTHER than in the way they are lengthened. Where did you get that idea? You cannot claim they said something and get mad that they didn't perform when they actually didn't say what you thought they said.

2. Spinal flexibility and amount of correction in brace were NOT correlated with bracing success in everyone's favorite bracing study (Katz et al., 2010). Here is a quote from that article:

"Curve flexibility as measured on the basis of the in-brace correction was similar for both patients with progressive curves and those with non-progressive curves (47% compared with 43%; p = 0.25). Brace wear also was not associated the degree of in-brace correction (p = 0.126)."
                          We found no relationship between curve flexibility in the brace and the number of hours of brace wear or outcome.
                          They admitted this was not what others have found and suggested number of hours of brace wear has a much stronger effect than flexibility.

Now although it is everyone's favorite brace study, it is just one study and has its faults so they didn't PROVE that flexibility is unrelated to bracing success.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                            Yes, that is what that means for those people.. they should to be honests and give names according to what really are and not according what they want that people believe they are.
                            Unfortunately scientists and researchers are just paid to do their job. They don't have time to monitor lay folks on word usage.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                              Unfortunately scientists and researchers are just paid to do their job. They don't have time to monitor lay folks on word usage.
                              scientists and researchers has nothing to do with Marketing as is happening in this case.
                              Last edited by flerc; 07-19-2012, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X